Wow ! 4.08 next week ! (maybe)

Go To Last Post
19 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

According to a very official Atmel representative at todays Nordic seminar, Atmel will release AVR Studio 4.08 next week.
When the question on AVR-GCC and plugin support was taken up, the discussion when sort of rather quiet :-(

Funny, because at the AVR Studion presentation slides we were shown, AVR-GCC was clearly mentioned as supported together with IAR e.t.c.
But, well, this was probably written by marketing people that as usual has quite a credibility problem.

/Jesper
www.yampp.com

/Jesper
http://www.yampp.com
The quick black AVR jumped over the lazy PIC.
What boots up, must come down.

Next week!! That's what I was told back in June...and finally they seem to have seen the light about conditional assembly, at least according to the latest news on the home page of avrfreaks. It speaks about version 1.71 of the assembler...let's see the one that came with Studio 4.07 is 1.57....14 revisions and not a word to the users (i.e. me :-))

admin's test signature

Of course I doubt the release date. But I really don't care.
I don't use AVR Studio anyway. I use Visual Studio with plugins for the development, and I always run on the REAL hardware.

/Jesper
www.yampp.com

/Jesper

>I use Visual Studio with plugins for the development.

Do you use any emulation hardware (i.e. ICExxxx) or do you reprogram your target chip after any code change? I would be interested in other ways of debugging. Who makes Visual Studio (is it the Microsoft one??)

admin's test signature

I reprogram. Often ;-)
I have an STK500/STK501 combo. Using the mega128 allows plenty of space and all peripherals. Later, projects are "resized" to the target CPU.
I have the JTAGICE, but only uses it for programming, as it is pretty fast. Sometimes, I just use the regular STK500 programmer.
As my code normally is about 1-10 kB, it downloads (and verifies) in www.yampp.com

/Jesper

So you don't have luxuries like breakpoints or single stepping. Do you have even some form of simple monitor linked into your code to be able to look at memory locations, registers etc..? I'm afraid I could not do without some form of monitor program, having done the very hard debugging for many years now I'm spoilt and need and IDE with the works. I can work with just a monitor with Motorola processors ( or any processor that has ram that can run code) but I love my little ICE200 as I don't lose even one pin for debugging.

admin's test signature

No, I can't single step or break. Neither can I look at memory/data.
But I very seldom feel that I need it. In severe cases I may add some simple code to hexdump a memory area or so, but I never really feel the need for single stepping.
This partly is due to the fast modify/compile/program/run cycle that's possible with the AVR's.

It sure was different in the days of punched cards ! Well, you couldn't debug there either (except at the desk ;-), but the turn around time could be > 1 day !!

But of course a nice emulator would make life a little easier. Used a Lauterbach at a project some time ago. Awesome tool. A bargain at only $55.000 !! (gulp!)

/Jesper
www.yampp.com

/Jesper

Let's see.... Friday would be September 81st?

admin's test signature

Actually remember it was supposed to be June I thought originally it was comming out in. Which would be.... uh June something big.

-Colin

Time to start a AVR Studio 4.08 release pool?

My bet's on November 18, 2003.

Or November 18, 3002.

admin's test signature

I thought the Neptune mission hadn't been launched yet.

Well, I stand by my prediction, and I DARE ATMEL TO PROVE ME WRONG!

admin's test signature

Bad news I'm afraid. I just took a look at the studio 4.08 beta available here, and there still appears to be a big lack of 3rd party compiler support. Perhaps Atmel will be springing a surprise and introducing it in the final release? LOL.

Does the FLAMING THING WORK??? Not too worried about 3rd party support up to now I just would like it to just work! By the way where did you get it from?

admin's test signature

Never mind the last bit, got it :-(

admin's test signature

Extremely disappointed that Tiny15 simulation isn't supported... I guess it'll never be. Consolation is that Tiny13 is supported, so when I use up my tube of Tiny15's I can move on to 13.

admin's test signature

Well glory be!

A new Studio is upon us.. I have been proven wrong. . Damn. :)

Either way, I win!

Now on to the latest buglist, in a friendly and supportive way.

admin's test signature

Woo hoo! I'm definately glad this version was released!! I'm trying it right now and so far so good. The trace is actually working with USB and is very fast and the color coding is excellent!!

Good job Atmel!!!

admin's test signature

Some of our old bugs are still here.

Still skips instructions on the jtag..

Still handles code with lots of comments badly.

ldi temp,32 ;This is fine

ldi temp,32 ;However, a line with lots of comments that goes out a ways,
;will cause studio to jump the screen over so that it ends up

temp,32 ; like this.
32 ;or this.

admin's test signature