Why is GET_FAR_ADDRESS not official?

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Okay, it seems I now have the stupid questions' day.

I wonder, once there is support for _far code memory access in avr-libc (pgmspace.h and stuff), why did not GET_FAR_ADDRESS - of the very same author, Carlos Lamas - make it to the same library?

It took me quite some time to dig it out off this forum and other places. I believe I am not the only one using AVRs with >64kB FLASH. There were at least 3 official releases of WinAVR since Carlos published GET_FAR_ADDRESS.

What am I missing here?

JW

As I understand it (and I could be way off base here), Carlos has not submitted it officially to the avr-libc folks. I cannot say why that has not happened.

I suppose someone else could do it for him, but I do not know the proper channels for that.

There is a difference between posting code on AVR Freaks and saying, "Here ya go, free for the world!" and doing a full submit. Documentation and patching the current library (if only in some areas) is aprt of it.

BTW, are you aware that there are also assembly routines for the str*_PF routines defined in morepgmspace.h? Those also would need to be submitted.

Others I'm sure are more knowledgeable about this that me, but that's the story as I know it.

Stu

Engineering seems to boil down to: Cheap. Fast. Good. Choose two. Sometimes choose only one.

Newbie? Be sure to read the thread Newbie? Start here!

Actually, it has been submitted:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patc...

It is our (avr-libc developers) fault for not getting it in.

I have it on my todo list to get it committed to avr-libc before the next release, 1.6.7. Anatoly, gave me a list of modifications that need to be done.

As always, volunteers are welcome.

EW wrote:
It is our (avr-libc developers) fault for not getting it in.

I have it on my todo list to get it committed to avr-libc before the next release, 1.6.7.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I was afraid, the reason is that there is some issue with it.

EW wrote:
As always, volunteers are welcome.

Oh, you need the more knowledgeable types... and maybe somebody who actually doesn't hate C.... ;-)

Stu San,

Thanks for reminding the str*_PF functions - I don't need them at the moment, it's only configuration data in the "high" memory now; but it might come handy at some other occasion.

Jan