Which would you recommend - SIM800L/900 & Neo-6M combo or A9G combined chipset

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have a project I am starting out on using Arduinos and I need GSM/GPS facilities on the prototype. I have no experience with GPS/GSM functionality, and I am looking at buying the so-called 'sensor' boards I need to start prototyping this. I have found two different routes I can follow (locally available boards) -

• Use a SIM800L/900 board for cell network access and a separate Neo-6M GPS board
  • Use a combination board using the A9G chipset which offers all the functionality in one solution

Which route would you guys recommend from feature, functionality and development complexity perspectives? My biggest concern is these devices will be used in an out of town farming environment, so while there is definitely cell network availability it is not as good as it would be in the middle of say a town residential area. Access reliability is therefore a consideration.

Also, not having any experience with this sort of functionality, from a GPS perspective I do not know whether I should be worrying about access to more than the most widely used (in South Africa) US GPS system, such as including the Glosnass system. This will impact on which GPS board(s) I can use.

Thanks for any comments.

Wayne

East London
South Africa

• No, I am not an Electronics Engineer, just a 54 year old hobbyist/enthusiast
  • Yes, I am using Proteus to learn more about circuit design and electronics
  • No, I do not own a licensed copy of Proteus, I am evaluating it legitimately
  • No, I do not believe in software or intellectual property piracy or theft

I helped a friend with a GPS project he had using the Locosys LS23036, there is an Arduino project that I used and then distilled the list file to get enough info so that a 68HC12 assembler project could be made fo him.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

I'm into a project which started with an A9G module, but eventually switched to SIM808, which provides both GPRS and GPS features.

The reason behind this choice Is that we found out A9G lacks good AT commands documentation (i.e. modem responses sometimes differ from the specification). Having to implement a driver for A9G was cumbersome, whereas writing one for SIM808 has been a lot easier because the latter Is very consistent with the datasheet.

Another thing to take into account is modem Power consumption, If you Plan to use batteries.

I'm conscious that you might not have the chance to buy a SIM808, but I hope you find this post helpful anyway.

Best regards, 

Alberto

WayneZA wrote:
My biggest concern is these devices will be used in an out of town farming environment, so while there is definitely cell network availability it is not as good as it would be in the middle of say a town residential area.
The future for agriculture :

• LTE-M or NB-IoT
  • LoRa

LoRa transceivers aren't coin cell friendly though are reasonable; Bluetooth Low Energy is coin cell ready and, with a power amplifier, can reach 1km (+/-)

There's at least one LoRa network in South Africa; some distributors stock LoRa gateways (DIY)

Current Consumption | WLR089U0 Low Power LoRa® Sub-GHz Module Data Sheet

LoRa® Technology | Microchip Technology

[bottom]

Our LoRa solutions are interoperable with our partners’ solutions. See below for a list of our key partners.

[four]

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Thank you all for your answers. They are all helpful.

Alberto, thanks for the breakdown of your experiences with the A9G. I have managed to find a local shop who does supply the SIM808 boards but they are out of stock at the moment. Hopefully they will get new stock in shortly and I will be able to give them a try. yes

GChapman, thank you for bringing up LoRa. |I wasn't aware that we were now deploying a LoRa network in South Africa. Last I researched it we were apparently still in the early stages of researching it for legislative preparation. IO will look into this further.

Fortunately my requirement does not extend to battery use at the moment so I should be good with the power requirements for now.

EDIT: Add the part about power management.

Wayne

East London
South Africa

• No, I am not an Electronics Engineer, just a 54 year old hobbyist/enthusiast
  • Yes, I am using Proteus to learn more about circuit design and electronics
  • No, I do not own a licensed copy of Proteus, I am evaluating it legitimately
  • No, I do not believe in software or intellectual property piracy or theft
Last Edited: Sun. Jul 4, 2021 - 01:40 PM