Where can I find a ATmega4809.h file with register definitions?

Go To Last Post
13 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

When viewing .c files in MPLAB X V5.25 w/ XC8 V2.05, all of my register definitions have squiggly lines under them.  I'm using Linux Mint 19.  How can create a file path or where can I find the 4809.h file?

This topic has a solution.

AVR Studio 4.19 build 730
Windows 7 x64
AVR Dragon HV 0x107 FV 0x610610

Last Edited: Wed. Sep 11, 2019 - 02:15 AM

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

>it's only the IDE that is unhappy with the symbols

It hasn't been happy for years.

So I tracked this down, since it was damnably inconsistent.

1) Chip-specific symbols (like USART_CHSIZE_gm )

There are actually two problems here:

1. In order to support added-on "Packs", avr/io.h has a catch-all rule to find the right include file:

#elif defined (__AVR_ATtiny11__)
#  include <avr/iotn11.h>
#elif defined (__AVR_M3000__)
#  include <avr/iom3000.h>
#elif defined (__AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__)
#  define __concat__(a,b) a##b
#  define __header1__(a,b) __concat__(a,b)
#  define __AVR_DEVICE_HEADER__ <avr/__header1__(io,__AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__).h>
#  include __AVR_DEVICE_HEADER__
#else
#  if !defined(__COMPILING_AVR_LIBC__)
#    warning "device type not defined"

This is apparently (and not surprisingly) not understood by whatever logic parses the source in the editor.

If you edit the source of io.h to add:

#elif defined (__AVR_ATmega4809__)
#  include <avr/iom4809.h>

in an appropriate place, it will get happier (after you convince it to reparse everything.)

At least, if you're using avr-gcc.   If you're using xc8, there's an additional problem.  The compile command is something like:

"/Applications/microchip/xc8/v2.05/bin/xc8-cc"  -mcpu=ATmega4809 -c  -x c -D__ATmega4809__  -mdfp="/Applications/microchip/mplabx/v5.25/packs/Microchip/ATmega_DFP/2.0.12"  -Wl,--gc-sections -Os ...  main.c

Which works fine, but the IDE doesn't recognize -mdfp switch as creating a new include path, so when io.h ends up doing the #include <avr/iom4809.h> the IDE doesn't find it, so it can't see the 4809-specific defines.  Adding an explict include path for the pack include directory fixes it (as does copying the .h to the "normal" avr directory.)

Grr.  So - understood, might have workarounds, might be fixable...

The uint8_t issue is somewhat similar.  It's not a problem using avr-gcc, but using xc8, the stdint.h file that gets included in a wrapper that the IDE parser doesn't seem to deal with very well:

#if __STDC_HOSTED__
    :
# include_next <stdint.h>
#else
# include "stdint-gcc.h"
#endif

Perhaps it doesn't understand "include_next"?

I just tried this:

#if defined (__AVR_ATmega4809__)
#include <avr/iom4809.h>

...and I'm not allowed to edit the io.h file.

Windows 7 x64

Last Edited: Wed. Sep 11, 2019 - 01:09 AM

Also, where can I find the iom4809.h file?  I want to open it and see what is going on inside it.

Windows 7 x64

Last Edited: Wed. Sep 11, 2019 - 01:09 AM

For me using avr-gcc v8 for atmega4809 the critical flag is "-mmcu=atmega4809".  That provides flag to pull in the appropriate device-specs file which makes the right definition for io.h (namely "-D__AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__=m4809").   I am using gcc8 via command line on linux, though, not MPLAB.

This reply has been marked as the solution. 

MattRW wrote:

For me using avr-gcc v8 for atmega4809 the critical flag is "-mmcu=atmega4809".  That provides flag to pull in the appropriate device-specs file which makes the right definition for io.h (namely "-D__AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__=m4809").   I am using gcc8 via command line on linux, though, not MPLAB.

I just switched to GCC and put this at the top of my main.c file.

#define __AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__ m4809
#include <avr/io.h>

Problem solved.

Windows 7 x64

DaveHardy wrote:
Problem solved.
I think you mean "part of the problem solved". How's your linking to the CRT and lc, lm, lgcc etc  going?

See also: "how to install packs in the default places in the AVR CLI Toolchain, so you don't need to clutter your command line with system-dependent pointers to the packs directories": https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment/2526416#comment-2526416

clawson wrote:

DaveHardy wrote:
Problem solved.
I think you mean "part of the problem solved". How's your linking to the CRT and lc, lm, lgcc etc  going?

I don't even know what those are.  Are those Windows acronyms?  I'm on Linux Mint 19 here and can't figure out how to change my signature.  How do I learn all of these darn acronyms?  

Windows 7 x64

Total votes: 1

My point was that the intended way to use "device packs" is to invoke avr-gcc with a -B option to tell it where the device pack is. That reads a file that will define  __AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__  but that same file does about 10 other things which you won't be doing by just adding a #define to a source file so I wondered if the missing bits had bitten you yet like it not being able to find the C libs for the device or the C run time (CRT) etc.

For example, on this Windows machine with AS7 if I build for 4809 the command the IDE gives to invoke the compiler (and linker) is:

Compile:::
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-gcc.exe"  -x c -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -DDEBUG  
-I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.3.300\include"  -Os -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fpack-struct 
-fshort-enums -g2 -Wall -pedantic -mmcu=atmega4809 -B "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.3.300\gcc\dev\atmega4809" 
-c -std=gnu99 -H -save-temps -MD -MP -MF "main.d" -MT"main.d" -MT"main.o"   -o "main.o" ".././main.c" 
Link:::
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-g++.exe" -o test.elf  main.o   -Wl,-Map="test.map" -Wl,--start-group -Wl,-lm  -Wl,--end-group 
-mmcu=atmega4809 -B "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.3.300\gcc\dev\atmega4809" -Wl,-print-gc-sections  

If you look at the -B location you see:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\packs\atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.3.300\gcc\dev\atmega4809>tree /f
Folder PATH listing for volume OSDISK
Volume serial number is 7AF3-B2D0
C:.
├───avrxmega3
│       crtatmega4809.o
│       libatmega4809.a
│
└───device-specs
        specs-atmega4809

Of particular interest is that specs-4809 file which contains:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\packs\atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.3.300\gcc\dev\atmega4809\device-specs>type specs-atmega4809
#
# Auto-generated specs for AVR device atmega4809 (core avrxmega3, 16-bit SP)
#
# Generated by   : ./gcc/config/avr/gen-avr-mmcu-specs.c
# Generated from : ./gcc/config/gcc.c
#                  ./gcc/config/avr/specs.h
#                  ./gcc/config/avr/avrlibc.h
# Used by        : avr-gcc compiler driver
# Used for       : building command options for sub-processes
#
# See <https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Spec-Files.html>
# for a documentation of spec files.

# If you intend to use an existing device specs file as a starting point
# for a new device spec file, make sure you are copying from a specs
# file for a device from the same core architecture and SP width.
# See <https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-5/changes.html> for a description
# of how to use such own spec files.

*avrlibc_startfile:
        crtatmega4809.o%s

*avrlibc_devicelib:
        %{!nodevicelib:-latmega4809}

*cc1_n_flash:
        %{!mn-flash=*:-mn-flash=1}

*cc1_rmw:
        %{mrmw}

*cc1_errata_skip:
        %{!mskip-bug: -mno-skip-bug}

*cc1_absdata:
        %{mabsdata}

*asm_arch:
        -mmcu=avrxmega3

*asm_relax:
        %{mrelax:--mlink-relax}

*asm_rmw:
        %{mrmw}

*asm_errata_skip:
        %{!mskip-bug: -mno-skip-bug}

*link_pmem_wrap:

*link_relax:
        %{mrelax:--relax}

*link_arch:
        %{mmcu=*:-m%*}

*link_data_start:
        -Tdata 0x802800

*link_text_start:

*self_spec:
        %{!mmcu=avr*: %<mmcu=* -mmcu=avrxmega3} %<mshort-calls %<msp8

# AVR-LibC's avr/io.h uses the device specifying macro to determine
# the name of the device header.  For example, -mmcu=atmega8a triggers
# the definition of __AVR_ATmega8A__ and avr/io.h includes the device
# header 'iom8a.h' by means of:
#
#     ...
#     #elif defined (__AVR_ATmega8A__)
#     #  include <avr/iom8a.h>
#     #elif ...
#
# If no device macro is defined, AVR-LibC uses __AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__
# as fallback to determine the name of the device header as
#
#     "avr/io" + __AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__ + ".h"
#
# If you provide your own specs file for a device not yet known to
# AVR-LibC, you can now define the hook macro __AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__
# as needed so that
#
#     #include <avr/io.h>
#
# will include the desired device header.  For ATmega8A the supplement
# to *cpp would read
#
#     -D__AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__=m8a

*cpp:
        -D__AVR_ATmega4809__ -D__AVR_DEVICE_NAME__=atmega4809 -D__AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__=m4809

%rename link old_link

*link:
        %(old_link)--defsym=__RODATA_PM_OFFSET__=0x4000

# End of file

Within that you will see the 

-D__AVR_DEV_LIB_NAME__=m4809

which is the equivalent of what you are doing but as you'll also see there is other stuff involved too and your simplistic solution is not doing this.

So I would suggest you get the packs and that will include the specs-4809 file and then use -B on the compiler/linker command lines to tell the tools where to find it and then it can read specs-4809 as intended.

Last Edited: Fri. Sep 13, 2019 - 02:59 PM

clawson wrote:
So I would suggest you get the packs and that will include the specs-4809 file and then use -B on the compiler/linker command lines to tell the tools where to find it and then it can read specs-4809 as intended.

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction.  Just to clarify, a virtual terminal is the same thing as a CLI? You're compiling your projects with a terminal?  There's a window at the bottom of MPLAB X that executes shell commands for me.  I can see the -B you are referring to, but can't wrap my head around why it isn't linking or how to set it up.   MPLAB X says I have DFP 1.3.300 installed for the megas.   This is the output I get from the bottom window of MPLAB X when I build and clean a project.  Any help is appreciated.  

CLEAN SUCCESSFUL (total time: 51ms)
make -f nbproject/Makefile-default.mk SUBPROJECTS= .build-conf
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/dave/MPLABXProjects/SPI.X'
make  -f nbproject/Makefile-default.mk dist/default/production/SPI.X.production.hex
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/dave/MPLABXProjects/SPI.X'
"/opt/microchip/avr8-gnu-toolchain-linux_x86_64/bin/avr-gcc"   -mmcu=atmega4809 -I "/opt/microchip/mplabx/v5.25/packs/Microchip/ATmega_DFP/2.0.12"/include -B "/opt/microchip/mplabx/v5.25/packs/Microchip/ATmega_DFP/2.0.12"/gcc/dev/atmega4809  -x c -c -D__ATmega4809__  -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -O1 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -MD -MP -MF "build/default/production/spimain.o.d" -MT "build/default/production/spimain.o.d" -MT build/default/production/spimain.o  -o build/default/production/spimain.o spimain.c  -DXPRJ_default=default   
"/opt/microchip/avr8-gnu-toolchain-linux_x86_64/bin/avr-gcc"   -mmcu=atmega4809 -I "/opt/microchip/mplabx/v5.25/packs/Microchip/ATmega_DFP/2.0.12"/include -B "/opt/microchip/mplabx/v5.25/packs/Microchip/ATmega_DFP/2.0.12"/gcc/dev/atmega4809  -x c -c -D__ATmega4809__  -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -O1 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -MD -MP -MF "build/default/production/spi.o.d" -MT "build/default/production/spi.o.d" -MT build/default/production/spi.o  -o build/default/production/spi.o spi.c  -DXPRJ_default=default   
"/opt/microchip/avr8-gnu-toolchain-linux_x86_64/bin/avr-gcc"  -mmcu=atmega4809 -B "/opt/microchip/mplabx/v5.25/packs/Microchip/ATmega_DFP/2.0.12"/gcc/dev/atmega4809  -D__ATmega4809__  -Wl,-Map="dist/default/production/SPI.X.production.map"    -o dist/default/production/SPI.X.production.elf build/default/production/spi.o build/default/production/spimain.o      -DXPRJ_default=default    -Wl,--defsym=__MPLAB_BUILD=1 -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--start-group  -Wl,-lm -Wl,--end-group 
"/opt/microchip/avr8-gnu-toolchain-linux_x86_64/bin"/avr-objcopy -O ihex "dist/default/production/SPI.X.production.elf" "dist/default/production/SPI.X.production.hex"
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/dave/MPLABXProjects/SPI.X'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/dave/MPLABXProjects/SPI.X'

BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 54ms)
Loading code from /home/dave/MPLABXProjects/SPI.X/dist/default/production/SPI.X.production.hex...
Loading completed

Windows 7 x64

But that is already doing the packs/-B thing anyway so it should just have worked without intervention on your part. Wonder if the packs are up to date?

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller