What programmer for ATmega644PA?

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello,

I need to use AVR ATmega644PA for my new project.
Before I buy uC, I need to know, if I will be able to program this device with use of one of my two hardware programmers I posses:
- JTAGICE mkII,
- Combo3 (http://www.progstar.com.pl/combo3/).

Especially I am interested in information, if JTAGICE mkII is able to program ATmega644PA.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Regards,
CypressValley

Use a current version of AVRStudio, go to the Help subsystem, open the chapter for your tool of interest, and find the supported devices list.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Last Edited: Wed. Mar 10, 2010 - 02:48 PM

Well, the Atmel JTAGICEmkII should program every AVR device ever made.

Your programmer does the mega644. But the mega644P (and mega644PA) is slightly different. And I cannot read Russian.

If the company that makes your Combo3 is still in business, I am sure they will support later AVRs too.

David.

Those are two radically different devices. One is simply a gang ISP programmer. The JTAGICEmkII is the "swiss army knife" of AVR development. It will not only program the 644 using either JTAG or ISP but will also debug it via JTAG and can be used with virtually all other AVRs (including Xmegas) for at least programming and also debugging of those devices that have an On Chip Debug (OCD) interface such as JTAG or dW.

If budget allows don't hesitate - buy the JTAGICEmkII

david.prentice wrote:
And I cannot read Russian.
This is in Polish, not Russian (the difference is like between Irish and English) :D

Warning: Grumpy Old Chuff. Reading this post may severely damage your mental health.

I asked my question because on page:

http://atmel.com/dyn/products/pr...

there is information, that AVR JTAGICE mkII is for debugging and AVRISP mkII In-System Programmer is for programming. I posses AVR JTAGICE mkII (not AVRISP mkII) and wonder, if I buy ATmega644PA, I would be able to program it with use of JTAGICE mkII.

That's a bit misleading - the JTAGICEmkII can do everything that an AVRISPmkII can do (all it's programming) and then an awful lot more besides (there has to be something to justify $299 versus $34!)