What are my options for low level debug on the AVR (ATmega128) ?

Go To Last Post
56 posts / 0 new

Pages

Total votes: 0

migry wrote:
... however I am not a professional software developer (I'm a hardware person) ...
The education that was on the resume of former software engineering colleagues :

• physics
  • mathematics
  • mechanical engineering
  • electrical engineering
  • computer science (obvioussmiley

High (secondary) school mathematics that includes proofs is minimally essential though seems those students gravitate towards web apps (JavaScript and TypeScript, where the money issmiley

Some Texas school districts have C++ courses though the goal is game development for the regional game stadium; might be able to encourage some of those students to embedded software development.

migry wrote:
... I mentioned to my friend that (adult) students will rarely criticise teachers (well possibly not in the anonymous feedback).
The only criticism I've heard was of one adjunct professor (computer architecture graduate course)

Deans may have issues hiring adjunct professors for graduate courses; not an issue for undergraduate courses as professors either instruct or will vet GTA.

Esports | Esports Stadium Arlington | Arlington (Texas)

via

Esports Stadium Arlington & Expo Center - City of Arlington

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

migry wrote:
Perhaps there is a switch to gcc to get it to do extra checks, ...

More on Testing | The Embedded Muse 449 by Jack Ganssle

John Carter responded:

[static analysis, dynamic analysis (Valgrind)]

A year or so back I added gcc's -fsanitize=bounds -fsanitize-trap to our build.

The performance impact has been minimal, but has caught a steady trickle of silly little index out of bounds bugs for us, that would have been really hard to catch otherwise.

Experimental Tools | Valgrind: Tool Suite

SGCheck is a tool for finding overruns of stack and global arrays. It works by using a heuristic approach derived from an observation about the likely forms of stack and global array accesses.

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-5.5.0/gcc/Debugging-Options.html#index-fsanitize_003dbounds

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-5.5.0/gcc/Debugging-Options.html#index-fsanitize-undefined-trap-on-error

Does it only take adding those command-line flags or do you have to add something to the gcc collection (using the standard AVR Studio)?

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!

Simply the options.

Traps aren't applicable to AVR whereas are applicable to some other MCU where GCC run-time is dependent on an RTOS or framework that handles traps.

You can try this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/...

Pages