What are folks using for alternatives to stk600 and stk500 nowadays?

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Apologies if it is an annoying question, but I didn't see it in the FAQ. I have been doing AVR since they came out, many years ago, but posting here only rarely. However, it's becoming evident that I should consider newer programming tools than stk600/stk500. After innocently killing my stk600 in the same way a gentleperson here did 10 years ago but apparently never got resolved (tho I'd love it if anyone knew how to resurrect my stk600 from Solid Orange LED Death, I said most of what I wanted to ask in a recent topic that I doubt will get a lot of hits or views, in which I said at the end:

I am very sad. I am also at a loss to know what to use to program AT90USB1287, now that my stk600 is dead. Maybe I could take advantage of the physical routing by jumpering ISP header over to stk600 from my old STK500. I do not know what people are using nowadays, especially hopefully something that solves the routing like stk600 does. Though, I can burn an AT90USB1287 to a breadboard-friendly setting and wire-wrap, then ISP from STK500. More painful than a working stk600 by a long way. Do people use dragon? atmel ice? something else? Anything that solves routing?

So I am wondering what are best practices nowadays. I like to make my own boards, not (buy and) use other people's. Ideal but not required would be something that works in a way such as the stk600 did physically so I do not have to burn a chip (to a carrier, for example) every time I want to do development or testing (the routing card/socket card approach accomplishes that). Something that has built-in 10p headers like the stk600 had would be ideal (so I am not wire-wrapping for that or waiting for fabs to build test boards). Something that works with avrdude/linux and also Atmel studio/win would be nice. I do have a Segger J-Link Pro, maybe that would work, for those devices with JTAG. Ideally it would be able to do UPDI, so I can program 4809 and similar without fashioning an El Tangas creation to program with. It is sounding like I want an stk600 without the worry of it being very sensitive to killing it easily. Here, though I am just wondering what the mainstream is, for those who have a workflow like mine (design idea, prototype, ideally without buying dev/eval boards for every last ucontroller, preferring just to buy the chip, then spin my own board through a fab). Could be that few have a workflow like mine.

Last Edited: Sun. Apr 11, 2021 - 01:43 AM

toddcromiii wrote:
However, it's becoming evident that I should consider newer programming tools than stk600/stk500.
STK600 doesn't have UPDI (AVRxt), STK500 doesn't have PDI (AVRxm)

toddcromiii wrote:
(so I am not wire-wrapping for that or waiting for fabs to build test boards).
Some AVR are in 50mil (1.27mm) pitch (protoboard)

toddcromiii wrote:
I do have a Segger J-Link Pro, maybe that would work, for those devices with JTAG.
More so PIC32 and SAM.

P.S. and O.T.

toddcromiii wrote:
... innocently killing ...
a contradiction in terms ... consider 'let the smoke out' or likewise ... may you pardon a pedantic?wink

Surface Mount Prototyping PCBs | BusBoard Prototype Systems

Curiosity Development Boards | Microchip Technology

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Thank you!

I didn't smell any magic smoke, but perhaps there was some!

I am suspecting that stk600 is one-of-a-kind animal re routing/socket cards etc, and my next solution if it is truly dead is going to use ISP or similar concept (which I have done before and have spun boards to be able to do with 6p header, just inserts a step into the workflow).

Is there a reason why PCBA + ADAPTER doesn't almost fully duplicate the full Atmel ICE? Looks like one can save $45 if one already has 10m various standard USB cables and doesn't need the box.

toddcromiii wrote:
Is there a reason why PCBA + ADAPTER doesn't almost fully duplicate the full Atmel ICE?
Could though consider an enclosure (use case - wire fragment onto Atmel-ICE PCBA); consider USB isolator (use case - wire lands on target and pops PC's USB VBUS)

The ones at Waveshare recognize the issue of Atmel-ICE's price.

Atmel-ICE - Waveshare Wiki

East :

Atmel ICE C Kit Powerful development tool for debugging and programming Atmel SAM and AVR microcontrollers ATMEL ICE PCBA inside-in Demo Board from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

West :

Cost Effective Original Atmel-ICE-C Kits PCBA Inside Debugger Supports JTAG SWD | eBay

ATATMEL-ICE-PCBA | Welcome to Microchip Technology | Microchip Technology Inc.

ATATMEL-ICE-ADPT - Atmel-ICE Adapter Kit | Microchip Technology Inc. | World's Largest Inventory of Microchip Products

Last Edited: Sat. Apr 10, 2021 - 08:20 PM

Thank you! The dropping stuff onto it is a concern, and also . . . I just spent 20 minutes brushing then vacuuming the dust off of my STK500 to see if I can jumper it to the dead 600 to take advantage of the form factor on the latter. (If that doesn't work, I will solder the '1287 to a carrier and continue my USB project with solderless breadboard and ISP header. I have a used STK600 coming in mail but now reading that old post about another guy killing his '600 in nearly the same way I did, I am loathe to try any more 647 or 1287 chips in it, until and unless I get more info from somewhere, like Atmel . . . err . . . Microchip . . . support).

You're welcome

toddcromiii wrote:
The dropping stuff onto it is a concern ...
DIY?

"Atmel-ICE"-things - Search - Thingiverse

Total votes: 1

For various reasons I have a small pile of STK500's used over the years (used some in production fixtures)....now they mostly sit...I have some  ISPMKII programmers & they mostly sit too.  Why?  You can by a small nano board & be dumping a new program into it almost  without fuss and it is dirt cheap.  Blow it out?...throw it in the trash & grab another for less than the cost of a Big Mac & ptch it into your system.   Want a dubugger?  Many Explained boards are almost as cheap & ready to use & include a programmer & at least some, a debugger.  So for less than $15 you can easily get back in the game.   It is nice to envision a universal development 'kit' (like the STKxxx), ready to install your chip or proto board...but at these prices, where is the savings?   The explained boards have 95% of the IO brought out for your exclusive use.  True, there may be a line or 2 "used up" but even that can generally be corrected for with a small surgery....simply an investment into your project.

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!