what about the Mega328PB is it pushed out by Microchip?

Go To Last Post
18 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello,

I am still using 8-bit AVR 328PB for many industrial control projects, but I wonder if this chip will actually continue to be produced ...

On Microchips website, i see now delay until en of 2024, but there is enough prod capacity for other 8-bit controllers such as PIC RISC types

I wonder if they just plan to out phase this dated chip.. or AVR's as a whole .....

Its an old chip, but whatever is told, 8-bit AVR 328P has a good set of features and pheripials at a very affordable price and run at 25 Mhz it has a 40ns instruction timing

3 timers, an ISP and USART intereface is enough, assembler does the rest 

Anyway,i don't mind to switch to another type, is a PIC 18F46K22 a good alternative , or another AVR type (...not the 168P...) at same cost level

AVR chips are rather easy to interface and program, i strickly use assembler.

For the time beeing I run with Chinese clones, but it is impossible to build them in commercial device as there is no chip guarantee provided.

Any advise is welcome.

Alex

xpsion wrote:

Anyway,i don't mind to switch to another type, is a PIC 18F46K22...

And can you actually buy them from anywhere?

#1 Hardware Problem? https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/...

#2 Hardware Problem? Read AVR042.

#3 All grounds are not created equal

#4 Have you proved your chip is running at xxMHz?

#5 "If you think you need floating point to solve the problem then you don't understand the problem. If you really do need floating point then you have a problem you do not understand."

Last Edited: Tue. Sep 20, 2022 - 10:39 AM

Imho. Mega328pb shall never stop produced because of its huge base (arduino etc)

There so many circuits out there , rhat the demand will last forever

Just like pic16f84 is still in production for same reason

Manufacturing problem are everywhere and will keep for some time

If i had to choose to move thought i will go to new 0 or 1 series for sure

No... , just chinese logicgreen , but as said : nice to develop the application but for serial....

also Mega224PB, nothing at all, they prolong to 95 weeks : i think this is a hint for saying: game over.

Welcome!

xpsion wrote:
On Microchips website, i see now delay until en of 2024,
mostly mid-'23

xpsion wrote:
Its an old chip,
seven years of age

xpsion wrote:
is a PIC 18F46K22 a good alternative ,
fyi, some recent PIC have DMA and 12-bit ADC; such is in AVRxm (approx late-00s)

xpsion wrote:
or another AVR type (...not the 168P...) at same cost level
AVR DD might be considered as a follow-on (mega328PB -> mega3208 > AVR DD, AVRe+ -> AVRxt -> AVRxt with a core voltage regulator)

xpsion wrote:
but it is impossible to build them in commercial device as there is no chip guarantee provided.
Microchip Technology PSP might be considered as a way to a guarantee.

Lead Time | World's Largest Inventory of Microchip Products

PB megaAVR announced | AVR Freaks

PIC18F46K22 | Microchip Technology

Newer Device Available PIC18F46Q10

PIC18F46Q10 | Microchip Technology

AN3548 Audio Recording and Playback Using Direct Memory Access and Core Independent Peripherals | Application Note | Microchip Technology

PIC18F57Q43 | Microchip Technology

New PIC® MCU Family Moves Software Tasks | Microchip Technology

Instruction Set Summary | AVR® Instruction Set Manual

AVR64DD32-I/RXB | Microchip Technology Inc. | World's Largest Inventory of Microchip Products

PSP Letter

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Well, not sure if the PB is used for Arduino (though just about every chip seems to be in some form), PB is a much newer chip than the plain 328  (with some extra IO, and dual UART)--so no reason for it to be on the chopping block  

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

xpsion wrote:
also Mega224PB, nothing at all, they prolong to 95 weeks : i think this is a hint for saying: game over.

I guess you have not been reading teh reports from Microchip, and just about every other microcontroller manufacturer the past two years.  Or I am also guessing you have not tried to purchase a car in teh last two years as well. 

xpsion wrote:
a PIC 18F46K22 a good alternative ,

Let me know how many Digikey has right now:

https://www.digikey.com/en/produ...

or Mouser:

https://www.mouser.com/c/?q=PIC%...

Before any of us micro quantity customers see any kind of microcontroller, the Auto industry, and any other large scale purchasing entity will get parts first.

You've been a member since 2013, and only decide to post for the first time now? 

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

I put an order in April, for a small batch...hope it is still on the way!  

They notified me  a month or two later it had moved up

So put in your order now, maybe it will move up too (but not before mine!!)

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

“Everyone knows that debugging is twice as hard as writing a program in the first place. So if you're as clever as you can be when you write it, how will you ever debug it?” - Brian W. Kernighan
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

IIRC the 328pb has almost the same pinout as the 328p but there is a slight difference I don't recall now. I think it's a power pin.

El Tangas wrote:
I think it's a power pin.
Indeed; mega328PB has one less VCC/GND pair.

Additional Pin Functionalities | AT15007: Differences between ATmega328/P and ATmega328PB

I see no evidence that the M328PB is being "pushed out". AVRs cannot be made in all Microchip fabs just as PICs cannot be made in all their fabs. So, it should not be a really big surprise that some devices will be available while others not. I do not see that as "evidence".

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!

328PB also has a second USART  as well I think

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

Well, looking at the appnote there are quite a few differences.

ka7ehk wrote:
AVRs cannot be made in all Microchip fabs
Some AVR are wafer fab at SMIC (IIRC twenty year old AVR)

ka7ehk wrote:
just as PICs cannot be made in all their fabs.
If extend PIC to PIC24 and PIC32M (MIPS) then TSMC; don't know where PIC32C (Arm Cortex) are wafer fab.

Microchip Technology's 8-bit MCU group may be their bread-and-butter (mostly Microchip wafer fab)

ka7ehk wrote:
So, it should not be a really big surprise that some devices will be available while others not.
One dimension is wafer fab; the other dimension is lead frame.

Lead frames are still in shortage therefore package availability will vary.

Product Change Notifications | Microchip, enter SMIC, Atmel was acquired by Microchip Technology 4-Apr'16

mchp-completes-atml-acquisition-and-provides-update-on-its-q4fy16.pdf