A warning: The $150 JTAGICEMKII from Arrow

Go To Last Post
16 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I was getting prepared for my MKII to show up on Thursday (tomorrow) so I decided to install AVR Studio to update it when it arrives. I normally use Linux, so I had never installed it... when digging around in the documentation I found this about the MKII:

* Hardware revision 0 does NOT support the PDI or aWire interface, and have serial numbers starting with A0... as shown here.

* Hardware revision 1 supports both PDI and aWire. Serial numbers start with A09-0041 or B0... as shown here.

* Revision 1 units are also fully RoHS compliant.

PDI was one of the main reasons I purchased this item, so it looks like I am hosed. I should have bought the clone :(

If you are looking to purchase this for PDI be careful.

swinchen wrote:
PDI was one of the main reasons I purchased this item
I bought one of them about 6 months ago and used it for the first time today for PDI. As far as I can tell, it works flawlessly. I used it on an xmega32a4; the serial number begins with A09.

Don Kinzer
ZBasic Microcontrollers
http://www.zbasic.net

dkinzer wrote:
swinchen wrote:
PDI was one of the main reasons I purchased this item
I bought one of them about 6 months ago and used it for the first time today for PDI. As far as I can tell, it works flawlessly. I used it on an xmega32a4; the serial number begins with A09.

You purchased the $150 non-RoHS version from arrow?

I guess one of three things:
1) Arrow send you the wrong one
2) Arrow is wrong about RoHS
3) Atmel is wrong in their documentation and not all revision 1 mkII's are RoHS

I am liking either 1, or 2.

I hope I am as lucky... thanks for giving me hope at least!

Sam

All the following is IMHO, AFAIK, AFAIR, YMMV:

Forget about the RoHS thing, this is a rumor once brought up here. If you go to the Arrow web site and list the available JTAGICE mkII you get two entries. The one with the reduced price, and the one with the regular price. Both are marked as non-RoHS. My guess: Arrow simply didn't bother to insert the correct information. Likely because they (or Atmel) think the JTAGICE falls under some RoHS exception. I don't believe the story that Atmel used the promotion to dump non-RoHS JTAGs. RoHS is simply to long in effect to think Atmel still produces stuff without regards to RoHS.

People here in the past have asked Atmel about the non-PDI JTAGICE mkII, AFAIR these were produced a loooooong, loooong time (years) ago, and large distributors shouldn't have any stock of these old ones for a looooong time now.

Atmel has created some confusion by apparently changing the date-code and serial number system on their products.

On old products a simple "A" or "B" in front of a serial number was apparently a revision indicator in the past. While these days an A followed by a two digit number, a hyphen, and some more numbers is apparently a year date code, not a serial number. Like "A09-xxxx" meaning "anno" 2009, product xxxx. And a separate serial number s/n is printed somewhere else. And a revision is either given by a "Rev r" print or by a slash and a number following the product code "A09-xxxx/r", r indicating the revision. Expect to see A10- on brand new Atmel stuff released this year for the first time.

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

I see. Sorry to be an alarmist.

Arrow also has a JTAGICE2 (NOT an ATJTAGICE2) that is market as RoHS compliant. I got scared.

Thanks for the info!
Sam

Just got one of the $150 ones from Arrow. It appears to be one of the 2nd generation devices (with s/n starting A09-0041) with PDI capability. Have not checked PDI, specifically.

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!

I think the $150 is the tail end of a batch of them that were bought as a lo cost promotion. I think its honorable that they didnt try to hike up the price to $300 when the promo was over.

Imagecraft compiler user

bobgardner wrote:
I think the $150 is the tail end of a batch of them that were bought as a lo cost promotion. I think its honorable that they didnt try to hike up the price to $300 when the promo was over.

That is unlike any other business I have ever seen. I am wondering now if there is something different about the discounted version.... I guess I will find put tomorrow.

My crystal ball says that you will receive a 100% functional modern manufacture JTAGICE-mkII.

If you are not in the U.S. then you will receive a hefty extra invoice for DHL delivery, Import Duties, VAT, and a special surcharge for an 'r' in the month.

Let us know what your serial number is when it arrives.

The JTAGICE-mkII is an excellent device that will give you good service.

David.

YAY! It is revision 1. It even came with a PDI adapter. I freaked out over nothing :)

Now... all I have to be worried about is the flimsy cable. I have a feeling I will need to find a source of replacements for those.

swinchen wrote:
I have a feeling I will need to find a source of replacements for those.
Mine came with a spare flat cable. Did yours?

Don Kinzer
ZBasic Microcontrollers
http://www.zbasic.net

Mine also had a spare.

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!

It did come with a spare, but something tells me I might need more than one. Maybe I an underestimating the quality of cable, but it seems somewhat fragile.

Quote:
but it seems somewhat fragile.
So you need to be careful. I have used my unit for more than a year now, no problems.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

swinchen wrote:
YAY! It is revision 1. It even came with a PDI adapter. I freaked out over nothing :)

Now... all I have to be worried about is the flimsy cable. I have a feeling I will need to find a source of replacements for those.

My crystal ball works pretty well then!

David.

Hi,

Mine too from Arrow has a S/N beginning with A09-0041.

It came without one of the particular cables, but I called Arrow and they called Atmel and I eventually received the missing cable.

It worked great the couple of times I used it.

Don't forget to make sure you don't leave it connected to a circuit while powered down according to the documentation...

Thanks,

Alan