Video Generation w/ Mega128

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

There have been several threads recently about video signal generation using AVRs. Circuit Cellar Issue 161, December '03, has the following article:

Generate Video Using Software Thread Integration
Video generation made simple. Intrigued? Read on to learn how a research group at North Carolina State University used an ATmega128 micro to generate a monochrome NTSC video signal with software thread integration. The end result is a 240 × 256 frame buffer based
display that renders lines, circles, sprites, and text.

Lee

Another article uses Mega32:

TV Oscilloscope
Is it possible to build a useful oscilloscope with a microcontroller and a TV? That’s the simple question that started Bruce on the path to developing the TV Scope, which is a minimal oscilloscope that has become a useful tool in Cornell University’s neurobiology laboratories.

Lee

Hi guys, I produced a color signal using a ATs908535 at 8 mhz using a cga monitor. The video res was 40x256 PAL. The res is low but It worked.
I could produce all of the 8 colors. Using resistors you can produce many more colors.

Pete

admin's test signature

Even though it isn't a AVR, it is very interesting.
How about a old fashioned PONG video game?
It uses composite video being generated by a MSP430 MCU. It can generate a lot of neat ideas on doing video related things.
www.ti.com/msp430
http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slaa1...

Their are many sites with video generation by software.

Do a search. After you read up on it you will find it's
pretty easy to generate a video signal on an TV or monitor.

Pete

O know this post is old, but just in case... you can check this topic:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

I have made a complete video arcade system with an Atmega64, 64 colors, 240x200 resolution with 2 voice sound routine...

Cedric, www.innovativedevice.com