Version 2.0.0 released

Go To Last Post
17 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Dear freaks,

today the AVR Software Framework version 2.0.0 was released on http://asf.atmel.no/.

ASF is a common software framework for AVR XMEGA and AVR UC3 devices, and the version v2.0.0 release is a technology preview, that means the developers would like:
- comments and suggestions on the concept.
- requests for new features.
- bug reports ;)

The official release is planned later, currently targeting last quarter of 2010.

Source code, documentation, a getting started guide, an user manual, API description, etc. is located at http://asf.atmel.no/. There is also this forum on AVRfreaks, which is most likely monitored by the developers themselves, and there is a public Bugzilla at http://asf.atmel.no/bugzilla.

In the near future there are plans for more documentation in the form of an ASF quick start guide, improved user manual and a contributor's guide.

Happy hacking :twisted:

Hans-Christian

Last Edited: Mon. Dec 20, 2010 - 12:06 PM

nice :D

-sma

Quote:
framework for AVR XMEGA and AVR UC3

Just Xmega? What about Tiny and Mega?

BTW this page is self-referrential:

http://asf.atmel.no/readme.html

If you follow the link for "Download" then it just links back to that same page.

@Cliff

It might be this "download" page ...
http://asf.atmel.no/selector/

And here is a how2
http://asf.atmel.no/avr32/docsrc...

Dammmm - I thought it was "Debugging Xmega @ Linux" , aka. "Studio 5" :-)

Or maybe the new avr-gcc was released with the framework ...

Thanx anyway HCE (Atmel) , especially when i find out what it really is :-)

@Atmel
I get a 403 error when trying to get the new headers
http://asf.atmel.no/xmega/utils/...

/Bingo

Bingo600 wrote:
especially when i find out what it really is :-)
Sounds like a new version of the app note AVR1922 "framework" software. That framework with the totally over-engineered build system. 81 separate Makefiles to manage to compile 87 C files.

They even have the same unfree, fuzzy license with this term

Quote:

4. ATMEL grants developer a non-exclusive, limited license to use the Software
as a development platform solely in connection with an Atmel AVR product
("Atmel Product").
Lawyers can have a field day with the interpretation of the phrases "as a development platform" and "in connection with".

That code is not coming near any of my projects, because of the unmanageable build system and and the legal uncertainties of the license.

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

Quote:
Sounds like a new version of the app note AVR1922 "framework" software.

Sounds like you mixed up the ASF2.0 with the AVR1922 appnote. That's 2 different things :-)
ASF2.0 can be found here:
http://asf.atmel.no/

Quote:

That framework with the totally over-engineered build system. 81 separate Makefiles to manage to compile 87 C files.

Sounds like a nice GUI would solve the issue.

Quote:

It just says that the code can be used for a AVR device (which btw is the purpose of the ASF).

-sma

sma wrote:
Quote:

It just says that the code can be used for a AVR device (which btw is the purpose of the ASF).

It is also the same license for all Atmel AVR application notes, so if you have grabbed software from one of the appnotes, you are under the same license.

Hans-Christian

ArnoldB wrote:
That framework with the totally over-engineered build system.

Oh, I didn't know that "over-engineered" is the proper polite expression for this stuff.

JW

Well, well. Even Atmel folks can choose bad subjects for threads.. :D

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

sma wrote:
Sounds like you mixed up the ASF2.0 with the AVR1922 appnote. That's 2 different things :-)
ASF2.0 can be found here:
http://asf.atmel.no/
You are repeating yourself. So let me repeat myself. No, one can't find ASF there, because Atmel's download link is broken. And, if you know so much about ASF, why don't YOU tell us what it is?

Quote:
Are you a lawyer? Are you in a position to make legal binding statements in the name of Atmel? If yes, please provide legally binding definitions of the phrases

- "as a development platform"
- "in connection with"

hce wrote:
sma wrote:
Quote:

It is also the same license for all Atmel AVR application notes, so if you have grabbed software from one of the appnotes, you are under the same license.
Why do you guys make it so easy to refute you?

All AVR application notes you say? What about AVR134? I picket it at random. It doesn't even have a license in the source code.

To old I hear you say? Ok, AVR1605 then? It has the following in the eeprom_driver.* files. Note the absence of the unfree extension.

No, the unfree extension is a recent Atmel invention. I first saw it in the xplain framework.

AVR1605 eeprom_driver.c wrote:

* Copyright (c) 2009, Atmel Corporation All rights reserved.
 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
 * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
 * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
 * this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
 * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
 * this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
 * and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. The name of ATMEL may not be used to endorse or promote products derived
 * from this software without specific prior written permission.
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY ATMEL "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
 * MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE EXPRESSLY AND
 * SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL ATMEL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
 * INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
 * (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
 * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
 * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
 * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
 * THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
 *****************************************************************************/

The download link on their site is self-referring.

http://asf.atmel.no wrote:
Download

The AVR Software Framework web page is located at asf.atmel.no.

And your links point to broken Zip files. They have Windows path separators in the names of the archived files, while the Zip standard explicitly calls for normal slashes. This breaks unpacking on non-Windows systems.

PKWARE .ZIP File Format Specification 6.3.2 wrote:
All slashes
should be forward slashes '/' as opposed to
backwards slashes '\' for compatibility with Amiga
and UNIX file systems etc.

Whatever Atmel is doing here, they try very hard to mess it up.

• Outright refusal to explain what it is

• Released under an altered BSD license, with unfree, fluffy wording added, making it a risk to use this in own projects, and deterring contributors.

• Misleading statements about that license "if you have grabbed software from one of the appnotes, you are under the same license". Which is plain wrong, because app note code comes with different licenses, and some even without.

• Broken download link, sending users on a hunt

• Broken ZIP archives

• Piecemeal source code, while the "documentation" talks about some GUI

• A bug reporting tool requiring registration, which doesn't work for me
But all this is really typical Atmel. Bold statements, but when it comes to deliver ...

I think it is high time that someone from Atmel with a clue and with authority (and not a markedroid) starts to listen and talk to us. Instead of arrogantly throwing some stuff in our general direction.

PS: You didn't answer the following questions:

Quote:
Are you a lawyer? Are you in a position to make legal binding statements in the name of Atmel? If yes, please provide legally binding definitions of the phrases

- "in connection with"

Okay, here goes commenting...

Quote:
Outright refusal to explain what it is

From the first page on http://asf.atmel.no
Quote:
The AVR® Software Framework (ASF) consists of AVR microcontroller drivers, software services & libraries, and demonstration applications. AVR UC3™ and AVR XMEGA™ devices are supported. Each software module is provided with full source code, example of usage, rich HTML documentation and ready-to-use projects for the IAR EW and GNU GCC compilers.

Which means nothing more or less than that, for XMEGA in specific the source code from all the application notes has been merged together, and some common stuff (interrupt fiddling, power management, sleep management) are now done generic. This is vital for allowing further development of more advanced applications, which needs to have a stable interface to various interfaces, usually provided by some hardware module.

Quote:
Released under an altered BSD license, with unfree, fluffy wording added, making it a risk to use this in own projects, and deterring contributors.

Lets just not go down the road by discussing licenses ;) In short the modified BSD license is also not free, as it does not ensure future freedom.

Quote:
Misleading statements about that license "if you have grabbed software from one of the appnotes, you are under the same license". Which is plain wrong, because app note code comes with different licenses, and some even without.
This is legal stuff, and I'm not a lawyer, so I'll stay out.

Quote:
Broken download link, sending users on a hunt
Fixed, the front page is now more clear that the package selector is the way to grab the source code. So far no all-in-one package is offered.

Quote:
Broken ZIP archives
Fixed :)

Quote:
Piecemeal source code, while the "documentation" talks about some GUI
This is a technology preview, focus on the contents in the ZIP file, the way to interface with the library will improve with future AVR Studio releases. If you have used AVR32 Studio you will have a feel of what it looks like today when making a new AVR example project.

Quote:
A bug reporting tool requiring registration, which doesn't work for me
Sadly, this is just how Bugzilla works. You are able to browse already posted bugs without registration. To comment on and submit new bugs, you will have to register. Email addresses are obfuscated for non-registered users, so it protects against spam harvesters.

Quote:
Quote:

- "in connection with"

I would recommend contacting Atmel support and request the legal details, I'm no lawyer ;)

Thanks for all the feedback!

Hans-Christian

hce wrote:
I would recommend contacting Atmel support and request the legal details, I'm no lawyer ;)
I really don't care enough to annoy a support guy somewhere deep down in the Atmel hierarchy with this.

I got used to the fact that every time I touch something Xmega related it turns out to be broken and Atmel doesn't care.

ArnoldB wrote:
I got used to the fact that every time I touch something Xmega related it turns out to be broken and Atmel doesn't care.
Ah, so it's YOU who is TOUCHING these things all the time - no wonder they BREAK!

:-)))

Sorry I couldn't resist.

JW

Yes, call the silicon police. Officer I swear, I just looked at it and its ADC got broken, and its DFLL, and its BOD, and its ... And that bugzilla thing, and Studio, and the application notes, and the GCC header files, and the delivery time.

And don't get me started on Atmel's "immediate available" marketing clowns, and EDN's product of the year award. Maybe we can ask the silicon police to arrest them?