Using ATECC508A with raspberry Pi 3

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I want to use ATECC508A with Raspberry Pi. Is there any guide which can help me to do this.

Kiran Allada

Welcome to the forum. Start by reading the data sheet. Its pretty well written and provides all the details on how to send commands to the ATECC508a. Also, take a look at the CryptoAuthLib library (login required) which is packed full of examples (in the test directory)

"When all else fails, read the directions"

Hello PhillyNJ,

I am pretty new to this cryptoautehtication devices. I have been reading the data sheet for 2 days and i had gone through the CryptoAUTHLIB but i didn't got an idea how to use this library on raspberry pi board.

Kiran Allada

kiran1490 wrote:
I have been reading the data sheet for 2 days and i had gone through the CryptoAUTHLIB but i didn't got an idea how to use this library on raspberry pi board.

The raspberry pi supports the i2c protocol. The ATECC508a comes in 2 flavors, SWI (Single wire interface) and TWI (two wire interface, also known as i2c). I would stick with the i2c version as there are libraries available for the raspberry pi. The cryptoauthlib is built to be platform neutral, but you will have to build your own HAL interface. I would suggest you pick up a SAMD21 xplained pro and a ATSHA204a first and check out my tutorial. The ATSHA204 is very similar to the ATECC508a in terms of how they communicate and slot of the functionality is the same. It will give you a better understanding the device family works.

"When all else fails, read the directions"

Hello PhillyNJ,

I have read your tutorial on ATSHA204, I know what are basic functionalities of the ATSHA204 and ATECC508 but the problem is i don't have SAMD21 xplained pro. I have only raspberry pi, in your tutorial you have used ATMEL STUDIO for including CRYPTOAUTHLIB Librarary and building the project for SAMD21 xplained pro, is there any ide,project builder or complier so that i can build my project for Raspberry PI (I don't have any extra hardware only ATECC108A) by using CRYPTOAUTHLIB library.

Kiran Allada