USB host mode 32u2 and 162

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Is there any way to offer a limited host mode on the series 2 AVRs? I thought the doc7675 implied I could use the 32u2 and such to read a USB mouse, but I am starting to sense (via searches) this is not the case.

I'm trying to build a USB mouse interface, requiring that I read a USB mouse and convert to a proprietary scheme. I don't need to size, power, or pin count of the 1287 and the 647 and similar options. But, obviously host mode is a requirement.

Jim

Jim Brain

No, only the U7 parts can do USB host mode in any form. You'll need to swap to the AT90USBxxx7 part or use an external USB host IC.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

What about software-only implementations?

I recently found this:

http://courses.cit.cornell.edu/e...

It's a shame I have to consider a "huge" AVR8 just to read a KB or a mouse. I fear I'll have to look elsewhere for a design uC option due to that issue.

Jim Brain

Huge as in physical size or features? These micros are avail in surface mount packages. I think you'll find slim pickings in regard to small micros with usb host capability apart fom the ones mentioned. I had a look at the link provided. They could've used a RS485 transceiver to make things a little easier.

Quote:

I fear I'll have to look elsewhere for a design uC option due to that issue.

If you do find some smaller/cheaper micros with OTG can you report back here and say what they are? I think some of the LPC and ST Cortex M3 devices may do OTG "cheaply".

If you don't mind jumping on a different horse, the PIC24FJ32GB002/PIC24FJ64GB002 can do usb host. They are less than $4 in singles, can get dip or soic/ssop parts.

I think these are the cheapest host parts available. I looked at quite a few options to be able to use a usb flash drive (as opposed to a micro sd card), and you are mostly stuck with high prices, high pin count surface mount, and usually some 'lite' usb host stack (if any).

I have some 64GB002's (dip28- yay!), and a pickit3, and have been messing around with these pic24 critters for a little while. They are actually pretty neat, although I haven't even got around to my original purpose yet (usb host for flash drive).

Of course, by now I'm pretty mixed up- avr-> cortex m0-> pic24.