usart issues with uc3b0256

Go To Last Post
2 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi everyone,

I am hoping you guys can give some suggestions.

I have a board designed with a uc3b0256. The usart1 and usart 2 are connected to max3232 rs232 level shifters, and the usarts are used in 3-wire mode, e.g. tx, rx, gnd
I have the thing connected via idc cable to another board that uses a sierra wireless q2687rd module, and an ltc2804ign-1 rs232 level shifter. The q2687 is connected to the ltc ltc2804ign-1, and that is connected via an IDC cable to the board with the uc3b0256 via the max3232 chip. So over the IDC cable there is rs232, and I have tx to rx and rx to tx.

This appears to work fine most of the time, however after running for a long time, from a day to a week, the rs232 comms between the boards seems to "lock up"
The amtel is still running, but the usart stops working. All in all, its actually quite odd. I have not seen anything to suggest its software/firmware related. Can any of you think of what might be wrong and what I should check ?

Thanks,

Steed.

Total votes: 0

Either the atmel crashes e.g. by Power supply noise / pour decoupling or wrong layout considering circuit current paths (most common mistake)...
But not knowing the complexity level of your code I would say it is in your code.
It always is (;

I have UC3 based systems using UARTS and they are still running after a year or 2.

"It can NOT be solved in firmware later"