Unlock AVR with AvrStudio 4 and STK500

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hey guys,

Well it's been a month now and I thought it's high-time I tried out my shiny new STK500. I've read about it somewhat so I knew how to rig it up and upgrade the internal firmware. I'm using the latest Studio 4 release and the included AVRPROG.

All works fine - except I can't get it to reset the lockbits and erase the ATMEGA 8515 that came with it. It's currently set to lock mode 3 and a signature read gives an unknown (I've read that this is the case when a chip is on high-security lock).

I tried a vain attempt at erasing the chip with ISP: this "worked" and I got the correct signature, but I couldn't program in the new firmware. Upon clicking the "program" button an error message appears and the chip resets into lockmode 3.

I assume I need to use Highvoltage parallel programming mode. I attached the two port connectors to the parallel programming headers (and detached the ISP) like the manual says, but I can't get it to work.

After much heaving and grunting, I swapped the chip over to another fresh MEGA8515 which worked fine. How do I unlock the first chip? $10 says i've overlooked somthing stupid...

Any ideas?
- Dean :twisted:

P.S. I also changed the radio button to "Parallel Programming mode".

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Look for STK500 User Guideand connect BSEL2:
ATmega161 ATmega8515 ATmega162
SCKT3000D3
Red 3
Parallel programming as above, mount the BSEL2 jumper. See section BSEL2 Jumper.

Saw that in the userguide: BSEL2 came with jumper mounted. This works for ISP too, but no dice for the Parallel.

Additional: Only 15 posts in 3 years, MagicCharry? That's impressive.

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

@Dean

Are you sure it's a Mega8515 ???

They used to use the old at90s8515 , witch by the way needs some form of clocking ,as there is no internal oscillator

But they have to run out of those "oldies" at some point ....

Just an error i have seen here before , with people trying out their new STK500

/Bingo

Definetly a MEGA8515, shiny and new. Had the test "LEDs and Switches" program running on it, which I *think* i've erased as mentioned but I can't reset the %$%$# lockbits. Incidentally, is it OK to ISP program and run the microcontroller with the BSEL2 jumper connected still?

Additional: Atmel seem to have designed the thing very well, but how does everybody else remove their AVRs from the sockets? Even with an IC Extraction tool, it sure isn't easy to rip out the 40-pin suckers. A ZIF, a ZIF, my kindom for a ZIF socket.

abcminiuser wrote:
Additional: Atmel seem to have designed the thing very well, but how does everybody else remove their AVRs from the sockets? Even with an IC Extraction tool, it sure isn't easy to rip out the 40-pin suckers. A ZIF, a ZIF, my kindom for a ZIF socket.

I boughr some ZIF's but they're too big for the STK-500 (the end goes into the pin-headers).

And the legs of the ZIF's are turned 90 degrees , meaning they are wide on the "right to left" not on the "top to bottom".

So watch out if you invest in those , and make sure you buy some that others have tried to insert in a stk500.

Another "trick" i have read about was to insert a socket iin the socket , so if the socket breaks ,it was the inserted one , that you can replace.

/Bingo

Hmm, can anyone give me some refs for ZIF sockets that fit into the STK500 then? And any more ideas about my original problem?

Is it using the internal 1MHz oscillator? If so, slow down the programming clock to a value below that (in AVRStudio) and try again.

Randy