Unfortunately, 7.0.790 not a fix for AVRSV-7014 simulator problem?

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

(Reposted link to thread to make this a title)
https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...

EDIT: Testing again, this time completely removing all trace of Atmel Studio, directories created, etc. Registry clean and temp files removed (I used "ccleaner").

After a couple of hours, total fresh Studio install. (With exception of the file driver-winusb-installer-7.0.790.msi - problem with amazonaws.com' server I guess...)
Same result as in the above link. Maybe I should've removed Microsoft *.2015? OK, I'll try, but it's a complete pain in the trouser department, as the (un)installer seems to have been written in Java/python/basic, or some other fiendishly slow crap.

Last Edited: Mon. Feb 29, 2016 - 06:24 AM

Not quite true, the heading I mean. 7.0.790 should fix AVRSV-7014. That was related to our older models which is dependant on a .dll that created a runaway process, which caused Atmel Studio to crash sometimes.

BUT, you still have a problem, and that needs to be solved. Recent investigations points toward a timing issue during debug session start sequence, and Windows 10. In Windows 8.1 I have been able to reproduce it sometimes with a UC3 model, but on Windows 10 it can be reproduced more consistently, and even with xmegas.

-Jan Egil

For the record, the new bug number for you to track is AVRSV-7297.

Thanks for this, it's bloody annoying  when everything else seems just fine! Yeah, maybe two different bugs, but unfortunately the result the same - simulator on AS7 bad, simulator on AS6.2 good.

Anyway, today I once again went through the uninstall procedure (different machine - this is the one that I do have AS6.2 on), and this time removed everything AS7-related, plus I shot everything remotely connected to Microsoft Visual Studio 2015, burned a couple of witches, rattled some chicken bones, cleaned the registry, and used the as-installer-full version, just in case there had crept in a subtle difference. Unfortunately to the same end.

Frustrating, when the fix was more than the Jungo 11 vs. 12 debacle. In that situation (even though a couple of posters were screaming their entire production was to be devoured by Gorgons) the fix was simple:
Give your AVRDRAGON to a kid that liked Arduinos, watch the eyes light up as (s)he single-stepped through the registers, perfectly happy with 6.2/Arduino IDE.
Then just buy an Atmel-ICE BASIC, which - last time I looked at Farnell - were still the same price. €50 - and if I could afford it on my (then) unemployment benefit, the complainers must've been running a tight ship!

So, I'll be watching with bad bated breath. Anything you want me to try, happy to help, if I can.

(OMFG!!! Got my own bug! What are the neighbours gonna say???)

-Cheers

-Andy 

Last Edited: Mon. Feb 29, 2016 - 03:07 PM

Darn. Made the comment in the wrong thread. I posted a new simulator dll in this comment https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment... . Could you try it out?

-Jan Egil