Atmel Studio 6 and 7 supports setting up and use different compilers through what they call "Flavours".
- Pull down the Tools menu and select Options...
- In the dialogue that follows, choose Toolchain on the left.
- In the right pane, in the drop down Toolchains, select the "family" of toolchains for which you want to ad a new flavour (e.g. Atmel AVR 8-bit (C language).
- Press the Add Toolchain button.
- In the Add Toolchain Package dialogue that follows, set a fitting name and set the Package Base Path. This is the path to the folder containing the compiler, linker etc (often "bin"). Note that there is a button to the right allowing you to browse to the folder (rather than typing the path in the text box).
- Press the Add button.
- You now have a new flavour to use in any project. Here are three different flavours set up:
The Native flavour is the one that was set up when Studio was installed. The other two was added by by the user.
To actually use the flavour:
- Go to the project Properties.
- Select Advanced, and then
- In the drop down Toolchain Flavour to the right, select the desired toolchain/flavour:
That's it! (-: