The LED on my circuit blinks twice, so I pretty sure the connections
are right. I bought a USBASP programmer on ebay, and just noticed on
the list of compatible chips was ATtiny2313 but not ATtiny2313a. Would
that be a problem? I thought they worked the same minus the voltage
requirements. Also the code compiles fine, its a blinking light
program.

Total votes: 0

Welcome to the forum.

How about a little more explanation of what you are using to program your chip. I know you are using a USBASP as a programmer.

Avrdude I suppose? What is your avrdude command line?

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Thanks

Yes I'm using avrdude and at first my command was

avrdude -p attiny2313a -P usb -c usbasp    -U flash:w:main.hex

but got this: avrdude: AVR Part "attiny2313a" not found

so I tried...

avrdude -p attiny2313 -P usb -c usbasp    -U flash:w:main.hex

And then I get

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Does your usbasp have a slow jumper?

See this post:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

I'm not sure I understood that, but I tried it again this time by bridging the JP1 (only jumper on board) and then ran the second command from my previous post. It couldn't find the USBasp device. If I wanted to upgrade the firmware I would require another programmer?

fus1on wrote:
I'm not sure I understood that, but I tried it again this time by bridging the JP1 (only jumper on board) and then ran the second command from my previous post. It couldn't find the USBasp device. If I wanted to upgrade the firmware I would require another programmer?

Yes you will need another programmer to upgrade the firmware. JP1 is to put the usbasp in ISP mode for the upgrade. I believe you have an usbasp clone. Where did you get the usbasp?

I figured it was, I bought it off eBay relatively cheap. I'm have a new chip coming in a few days hopefully that'll work. If not I'll probably get a left one. Alright well thanks a lot bud.

fus1on wrote:
I figured it was, I bought it off eBay relatively cheap. I'm have a new chip coming in a few days hopefully that'll work. If not I'll probably get a left one. Alright well thanks a lot bud.

OK.

A new chip for what?

What is a "left one"? :?

Sorry I meant I bought an ATMega328 a few days ago and I am going to try to program it. If it still doesn't work I'll probably have to buy a new programmer.

The new ATmega 328 will not make a difference. It is the usbasp that isn't working.

I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the USA you can send me your usbasp. I'll update the firmware for you and send it back to you ASAP. PM me if you are interested.

fus1on, the firmware upgrade fixed the usbasp. I sent you a PM.

Thought you might want to see this:

C:\>avrdude -c usbasp -P usb -p t2313 -v

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Jun 18 2011 at 21:58:59
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
         AVR Part                      : ATtiny2313
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD4
         BS2                           : PD6
         RESET disposition             : possible i/o
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65     6     4    0 no        128    4      0  4000  4500 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6    32    0 yes      2048   32     64  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          2    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.03s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e910a
avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 24
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as DF
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as FF

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 24
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as DF
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as FF
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.

==============================================================================================

Could you tell me what kind of connections did you use? I keep getting errors about no response from the chip

TO THE FINDER... THE ISLE OF KOHOLINT, IS BUT AN ILLUSION... HUMAN, MONSTER, SEA, SKY... A SCENE ON THE LID OF A SLEEPER'S EYE... AWAKE THE DREAMER, AND KOHOLINT WILL VANISH MUCH LIKE A BUBBLE ON A NEEDLE... CAST-AWAY, YOU SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH!

tellSlater wrote:

Could you tell me what kind of connections did you use? I keep getting errors about no response from the chip

Please do not PM me.  If I could remember I would, that was 7 years ago.

Post a picture of the connections you have made to your chip and tell us what chip it is.

Last Edited: Mon. Mar 19, 2018 - 06:57 AM

Forgive me for the personal message. I am new and don't know yet the guidelines of this community.

1)I am currently trying to program an ATtiny2313a

2)I am using this Chinese programmer I bought off of e-bay: https://i.imgur.com/K31d5Cr.png

3)I am sure my programmers work since I used 2 of them to update the firmware of one-another

4)My connections to the chip are these: https://i.imgur.com/ohnmWyK.png

5)I don't have the exact datasheet of my programmer so I found this(http://eecs.oregonstate.edu/educ...) and it seemed close enough. Could my problem be having mapped the programmer ports incorrectly?

6)I run this simple command from AVRdude and get these results weather I have made the connections above or no connections at all: https://i.imgur.com/kR2E7Y0.png

I have tested the above setup again and again with a continuum multi-meter and I have tried using the JP3 feature.

I will be grateful for any input. Respectfully -tellSlater

TO THE FINDER... THE ISLE OF KOHOLINT, IS BUT AN ILLUSION... HUMAN, MONSTER, SEA, SKY... A SCENE ON THE LID OF A SLEEPER'S EYE... AWAKE THE DREAMER, AND KOHOLINT WILL VANISH MUCH LIKE A BUBBLE ON A NEEDLE... CAST-AWAY, YOU SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH!

I believe that you are not using the correct AVR ID in the avrdude statement.   Don't use "ATtiny2313", use "t2313"

If you look at the picture I provided, that is exactly what I am using

You have a regular Chinese USBASP.    It uses the "best" SCK frequency automatically.

There is no point in connecting RXD, TXD.  They are not implemented.

JP3 is the "SLOW" jumper.    Most modern Chinese firmware ignores it.

You have received "initialization failed. rc=-1".    This means that you have no clock.

Your ATtiny2313 needs to have a clock signal.    e.g. Internal RC clock or an external clock or crystal

You have probably set the clock fuses inappropriately.  e.g. for LF crystal

David.

Last Edited: Wed. Mar 28, 2018 - 07:21 AM

Thank you for your input. The chip is "brand new" and if you examine the default fuse parameters in the ATtiny's datasheet, it is clear that they sell them with an internal clock of 1MHz on default. I have never been able to program the chip yet.

Nevertheless, let's assume that for some reason having no clock is my problem. What should my actions be then? Should I set an external crystal clock? And if so what frequency should I use?

If the chip was bought from a proper distributor e.g. Farnell, Digikey, ... it should have default fuses e.g. 1MHz RC

You must double check your wiring.

If it was bought from a hobbyist shop,   anything is possible.   But unlikely.

Provide an external clock to XTAL1 pin.   e.g. from Arduino.

clawson has a tutorial.

David.

I have no arduino. Do you think I can make it work by connecting my second USBASP's sck pin to the XTAL1? Also what are the minimum connections that need to be made in order to have a first response from the chip? Are MOSI,MISO,VCC,GND,RESET and SCK enough?

Do you really have two USBASP but only one AVR?

You could steal a clock signal from XTAL2 pin on the USBASP but this requires careful soldering to the tiny SMD pins.

Quite honestly,   buying an Arduino clone is the best investment anyone can make.

If you say which country you live in,   a neighbour could program / recover your chip for you.

I still suggest that you check your wiring first.   Do you have a DMM (multimeter)?

David.

Yes, I have a multimeter and as I stated above I checked every connection on the breadboard again and again with the continuity setting.

If the connections I posted above are correct, I doubt this could be the problem. I will consider investing in an arduino. Thank you for your help

Can I assume that the internal clock is set if I get an output clock of 1MHz on pin XTAL2?

No.   If you have the Internal RC,  the XTAL pins can be used as GPIO.

I know that this may irritate you:

1.  check each wire with a DMM.

2.  tick it off on a paper checklist with a real pencil.

You can check your USBASPs by using one to read the other.

3.  put jumper on JP2 of target.  put jumper JP1 of target for 5V.  put jumper JP1 of programmer for 5V.

4.  connect both dongles with the 10-way ribbon cable.

5.  plug programmer USB cable into PC.

6.  avrdude -c usbasp -p ATmega8

7.  it should recognise the Signature

An alternative is to reveal your country.

Someone might mail you an ATtiny2313.

Someone might even program it for you.

David.

david.prentice wrote:
1. check each wire with a DMM.

2. ...

Then,

https://www.avrfreaks.net/commen...

https://www.avrfreaks.net/commen...

which leads to https://www.avrfreaks.net/commen... which leads to https://www.avrfreaks.net/commen... which has further links.  Note that I did not dig out and post those links to be a cool guy [chicks dig me and guys want to be like me, or vice versa].  Rather, all of the above threads are on the same topic as yours.  Yes, not exactly the same symptoms and setup, but there is much discussion about background information and orderly examination.

theusch wrote:
Quote:
I've never used one, but a brief look at the product page suggests that it is a 'real programmer'
Let's say it is indeed a "real" programmer. Let's run down, then, the standard checklist for ISP problems. Starting with: Does it work with another "real" programmer?!? https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...
Quote:
I've been involved in many many AVR new board designs over the years. Occasionally, this situation comes up on first prototypes--unable to "contact" the board with ISP. I guess the first thing to consider is hard shorts of some kind. Turn the current way down on the power supply, and/or meter the current draw. Higher than 10-20mA? Hmmm--better shut things down and examine... These could be e.g. solder globs, or a design/routing error. Next step is to check the levels on all supply and ground pins. From there, I wouldn't want to tackle this situation without a 'scope. Preferably 2-channel. If you slow the ISP waaay down, to like 10kHz or something, even the soundcard 'scopes might suffice perhaps. (Are they dual-channel?) Set up the ISP at a slow speed and set up for Read Signature operations. If you can't do Read Signature reliably and repeatedly, then you won't have much luck with other ISP operations. Once you >>can<< do that then other ISP operations with probably work. (NB--the Read Signature sequence is a short query and short response, so a ratty signal can allow that operation but other operations with bigger packets might fail.) Now set up your 'scope with a good appropriate ground. In all of the below, READ THE SIGNAL RIGHT ON THE AVR PINS. Indeed, those will be harder to get at than the ISP header. But looking at the ISP header won't tell you what the AVR is seeing. All set up? Put the 'scope onto the AVR's /RESET. It should be riding high, and drop during the Read Signature operation. Drops, comes back up, and looks clean? Good. Now the SCK pin. A short burst during the Read Signature? Clean? Good. Here is where two channels start to come in. Once satisfied with SCK, then I tie one channel to SCK and use that as the trigger channel. In turn, put the second channel on /RESET, MOSI, and MISO and look at the waveforms w.r.t. the SCK. The /RESET is kind of the sanity check, and the width of the whole pulse indicates the entire transaction time. MOSI should wiggle during the first part of the transaction and MISO during the latter part. If all of the above is good and the MISO response is getting back to the ISP, then wtf--it should be working. If there is no MISO response, then the AVR is dead. Or maybe the ISP bit rate is too fast. Or, perhaps, is there other circuitry on the ISP pins? In particular, other SPI devices? Could they be interfering? Cut them loose if you have to--the objective here is to do ISP. In the worst hair-pulling situations, start with a bare board and little app circuitry--only enough to do ISP. The Read Signature sequence is short enough that if you have to you can decode the bits manually off the 'scope. A logic analyzer usually has many channels and allows the whole sequence and all the signals above to be done at the same time and would simplify the decode. Perhaps starting with the LA versus the 'scope is "better". (I have the 'scope ready on my bench and have to dig out the LA; and it usually doesn't get that far down the chain of tests above.) Quote: are you sure the oscillator module is working too? Of course the AVR needs a clock for ISP. If these are indeed "virgin" then the AVR should be running off the default internal clock.
Note that the sequence starts with the assumption of proper voltage level at the Vcc pin(s), proper Gnd connection(s), and proper bypass caps. https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...
Quote:
Quote: I connected them to my STK500 and found out that they respond fine to chip erase and fuse settings, Given that you go on to say that they don't respond correctly to Read Signature, they don't in fact "respond fine" to the operations you mentioned. The ISP program is reading >>a<< "response"--the state of the MISO line. It could be complete garbage. Quote: I wonder, could this be hardware damage for example due to static electricity? Certainly. Quote: Can the AVR be damaged physically so that only the flash memory fails? As suggested above, your situation very probably has no relationship to flash memory. Work on Read Signature first. If you can do that, other ISP operations are probably going to work OK. If you cannot, then other operations will probably fail. You start your diagnosis as with any other ISP problem: -- Does the AVR have power? Vcc and AVcc? Proper levels? All Gnd hooked up and properly decoupled? -- Does the AVR have a clock source? -- Does /RESET wiggle when you do a Read Signature? -- When /RESET is pulled low, what do you see on SCK? -- When /RESET is pulled low, what do you see on MOSI? -- When /RESET is pulled low, what do you see on MISO?

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Last Edited: Thu. Mar 29, 2018 - 02:50 PM

>So does having a 1MHz signal on pin XTAL2 mean that it is set for use with external clock then? Or can I still not make that assumption?

>The upcoming days I will be able to use a friend's oscilloscope and take some measurements. Any suggestions of measurements I should check about the chip would be very welcome.

>I have already done every checking you mentioned above and more. Everything seems to be perfect.

I am sure the programmers work. I am sure the breadboard or the wires are not faulty. But the chip still won't answer me.

>I am only interested in making the setup I have in my hands work. I mean it should work. It makes no sense not to. It's irritating.

A tiny2313 has got 128kHz, 4MHz, 8MHz RC clocks.   There is no possible way to get 1MHz on XTAL2 pin with RC.

You could get 1MHz on XTAL2 if you have a 1MHz crystal and set the fuses for the crystal.

PA1 is not available as a Timer output.   So you can't generate 1MHz in hardware.

Ok,  I suppose you could get 1MHz with this program if your fuses are set for 8MHz RC:

CLKPR = 0x80;
     CLKPR = 0x00;     //8MHz RC div 1
     DDRA = (1<<PA1);  //make XTAL2 pin output
     while (1) {
         PINA = (1<<PA1); //toggle XTAL2
         asm("nop");
     }

Seriously,   only you know whether you programmed a special firmware into your AVR.

A virgin AVR is exactly that.   Unprogrammed.

David.

p.s.  this could get 1MHz

while (1) {              //2
         PORTA |= (1<<PA1);   //2 high
         asm("nop");          //1
         asm("nop");          //1
         PORTA &= ~(1<<PA1);  //2 low
     }

david.prentice wrote:
A tiny2313 has got 128kHz, 4MHz, 8MHz RC clocks. There is no possible way to get 1MHz on XTAL2 pin with RC. You could get 1MHz on XTAL2 if ...

It is unclear to me whether OP was asking about >>generating<< a 1MHz on XTAL2 pin, or looking for a signal on that pin that might indicate the AVR clock.

I believe that model has CKOUT which would be definitive.  But moot, since good contact via ISP cannot be made so fuses cannot be changed.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

fus1on wrote:
If I wanted to upgrade the firmware I would require another programmer?

The USBasp's from Ebay / Ali / China / Etc. used to work pretty good.

However the last 2 years or so they tend to come ever more often with other software which is not compatible with avrdude / USBasp.

Versions which have both USBasp and USBisp in the name tend to not work.

Lots of choice / confustion here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180329185523&SearchText=usbasp

I have had success with the versions from "www.betemcu.cn" black solder mask chip 45 deg. rotated like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USBasp-USB-ISP-3-3V-5V-AVR-Programmer-USB-ATMEGA8-ATMEGA128-New-10PIN-Wire-Support-Win7/32536193605.html

avrdude is a multi octopus spider programming thingie.

avrdude is capable of using almost anything as a "bootstrap" programmer to program an avr.

If you have a PC with an old parallel port (those still exist) or for example a smal linux pc such as beaglebone, cubie, or raspi then you can use the gpio pins with avrdude to program an avr.

You can get the firmware for usbasp here:

http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

I donated some money to Thomas for his good work a long time ago.

You can also buy a programmer directly from his site.

===============

Then I discovered on the top here:

Posted : Tue. Jul 5, 2011

But is has been revived for some time now...

Paul van der Hoeven.
Bunch of old projects with AVR's:
http://www.hoevendesign.com

I will try to test all your recommendations the next days using an oscilloscope. Is there any chance you could fetch me some photos of a correct response from the programmer for reference?