Tokin 614 J component????

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have an old device that uses a serial port for communications with a PC, and for the life of me I can not get it to work with a USB to RS232 device. Works fine if I connect it to a real serial port. Between the DB25 and the Max238 are a few chips marked "Tokin 614 J", my web searches are coming up empty. I think they are some kind of ESD protection, maybe an opto-isolator. The have 2 legs on one side, two more on the other which suggests opto and the USB/232 adapters will not have to current to push through one of these.

Before I tear them out and put jumpers in I thought I would ask and see if anyone knows what they are and what harm might come from the removal. If the only harm might be that I burn the Max238, so be it. I may also bypass that part of the Max238 and install an FTDI USB to TTL serial device and be done. Default operations are with no handshaking, so I should only need TX, RX, ground which should allow USB conversion without too much difficulty.

Thanks for any help provided.

Highly unlikely to be optos in that location. More than likely some form of EMI/ESD protection device. Take a look at the NEC/Tokin product line offerings.

Writing code is like having sex.... make one little mistake, and you're supporting it for life.

Did that but couldn't find a match to that number anywhere.

The more I think about it, the more I may decide to try connecting the USB device to the TTL side of the Max238 and see what happens.

The USB device, if a commercial cable, will have a level converter in it, so that could damage your board. Honestly, it should work... I'd take a scope and look at the signal levels when everything is connected.

Writing code is like having sex.... make one little mistake, and you're supporting it for life.

Try with 100 ohm first ;)

Yes a 100 ohm resistor instead of a piece of wire would be a good idea.

I'm going to bring the board to work and pull those devices and see if they from a bridge in the path or just and overflow. If it's just an overflow then they must be just ESD and I can probably get by with removing them. If a bridge then they could be just about any sort of buffer and I can still probably get by with removing them.

I also need to solder some test wires down to the low level side of the Max238 to put a scope on them and see what I'm dealing with. Having the USB comm port mounted in the equipment would certainly make it easier to use. This thing uses a Siemens SAB 80C166 processor running at 5 volts, so I'm pretty sure the low level serial also runs at 5 volts.