Tiny817 UPDI programming

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

So I was messing around adding a UPDI connector to the T817 board to test it with the JTAG Mk3 and the Atmel Ice.

I'm ASS_U_MEing that the UPDI link from the debug chip goes to high impedance when not actually debugging or programming so I wired up pin1 of the UPDI connector directly to PA0, so far no smoke.

Tried both the JTAG Mk3 (early version) and the Atmel Ice and they both work for programming, for a ~8K download it takes less than 6 sec for the JTAG Mk3 and just less that 5sec for the Atmel Ice. I think it took about 10sec using the on board debug/programmer.

ahem...pardon the use of the autographed golden ice in the photo.....devil

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Last Edited: Fri. Dec 23, 2016 - 09:08 AM

Show-off!

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

My XMINI-tiny817 arrived a few days ago.

UPDI works very well with the mEDBG chip.    Uploading an 8kB executable is about 10 sec.

debugWIRE on an XMINI-mega328P is painful.    About 2.5 minutes to upload 32kB via mEDBG.

debugWIRE on a UNO is not too bad.   About 30 sec to upload 32kB via ATMEL-ICE.    A lot slower with a Dragon.

The actual debugging sequence is reasonable with any of the XMINIs.    Ok,  there is a pause while registers, memory are updated at a breakpoint.

But this is nothing like the upload time.

By the sound of it,   the JTAGICE-3 is almost as fast as the ATMEL-ICE.

David.

I understand the programmer is worth its weight in gold!

JC

That would all the gold left over in Forth Knox.....not that I'm fat or anything like that...

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly