Is there such a thing as ATMEGA168 in a 1.8mm pitch packag?

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I ordered some ATMEGA168-20PU from a company in Shenzen and received something with "ATMEGA168-20PU" stamped on the top in a 28 pin DIP style package with the pins 1.8mm apart.

Is it normal to feel pretty foolish right now ?

Quote:
28 pin DIP style package with the pins 1.8mm apart.
Huh? What other number is there stamped on the chip?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

I did a bit of research. I think it is an SPDIP package with pins 1.778mm apart.

The writing on this chip is perpendicular to the long edges and has
* ATMEL logo
* ATMEGA168
* 20PU

I've checked and rechecked and I'm pretty sure an ATMEGA168 doesn't come in an SPDIP package.

I suspect I've just bought a piece of plastic with 28 pins. Did I mention I bought 100 ? :cry:

Probably a clone. Or maybe they bought chips and packaged them locally. Have to try. Make a small PCB that will take the SPDIP and let you wire it up for testing.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Is cloning legal ?

PixelFreak wrote:
Is cloning legal ?
Only if you have the right to do it :wink: E.g. by contract of if that what you clone doesn't enjoy any legal protection and you don't interfere with any IP. Both cases aren't to likely here.

Atmel says they sell ATmega168s in wafer form, too. So in theory someone could have packaged them in that particular package. But seriously, is it worth your time to find out? If they work, and if you do a PCB design and if you then later run out of your 100 parts, where do you get the next batch from to avoid having to redo your PCB? And if they work, do you know how reliable they are?

Try to get your money back from that company. Maybe they are honest (yes, I know ...), maybe they are a branch of organized crime. Maybe they are something in between.

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

Hmm.. it might be possible to have a PCB design catering to both packages.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.