Is there a ST7735 library for ASF?

Go To Last Post
8 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I tried copying some code online to make my I2C ST7735 display work. I thought it was SPI because it worked with SPI on Arduino. It's I2C so it's behaving weird with my USART_MSPI. I don't know if I've got something wrongly configured or not, but I'd like to know if there's a library with test examples for this display so that I can test the SPI code and then change it to work as USART_MSPI and later on USART_MSPI+DMA for scanline-by-scanline rendering.

While the ST7735R controller supports a variety of interface options, the ST7735 display appears to support SPI only.  What makes you think it is I2C?  How are you connecting the display to the AVR?  Which AVR are you using?

From the ST7735 page on the Adafruit site:

Of course, we wouldn't just leave you with a datasheet and a "good luck!" - we've written a full open source graphics library that can draw pixels, lines, rectangles, circles, text and bitmaps as well as example code and a wiring tutorial. The code is written for Arduino but can be easily ported to your favorite microcontroller!

Is this the code you are using?

Greg Muth

Portland, OR, US

Xplained/Pro/Mini Boards mostly

Make Xmega Great Again!

My display is connected like this:

VCC	VCC	
GND	GND	
CS	E6	GPIO1
RESET	E7	GPIO2
A0	C2	USARTC0_RXD0
SDA	C3	USARTC0_TXD0
SCK	C1	USARTC0_XCK
LED	VCC	

I'm using ATXMEGA128A1U.

I used some code from PIC and modified some of PIC functions to make them work with USART.

Update: I'm going to use the Adafruit library. However, I have some questions. Since I'm porting the library and fixing it to make it work for XMEGA, do I have to obey the license where it says that I should copy some text? I'm asking this because the text says that the library would work with SD cards, but I'm going to remove that because I already have another IO module with an SD card slot that works with XMEGA A1U Xplained Pro.

Total votes: 1

Surely, your question should be addressed to Lady Ada at Adafruit, afterall it is her product and licence.

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Posted it here

Foxcat385 wrote:
I'm asking this because the text says that the library would work with SD cards, but I'm going to remove that

If the text that says it would work with SD cards is within what is marked as (or can be considered to be) within Adafruits copyright notice then beware. My advice would be that if you need to "carry over" Adafruits copyright notice you should quote it verbatim. You do not change someone else s copyright notice. Instead you attach text of your own explaining things. Make sure the license allows at all for added conditions etc - most licenses safeguard both against someone "down-the-line" narrowing the conditions as well as broadening them. And most of them say that if the work is carried over "this copyright notice must be included" and whether explicit or implicit this means quoted verbatim.

The world of software licenses is confusing at best. Get it right from the start, before you release anything to the general public or on the market.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

I had a quick look at that library. Seems there is no actual license text (I looked in the file README.txt). Instead, it says just "MIT License". This makes things a wee bit worse, because

1) there is not one definitive and canonical version of the "MIT License". See eg this for more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MI... .

2) here is somewhat of an irony here, since all (?) MIT license versions says

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

but Ladyada refers to the MIT License without themselves incorporating it in the material that originate from them.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]