Tektronix 224 hendheld oscope user manual?

Go To Last Post
14 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Anyone happen to have a user manual for a Tektronix 224 DSO oscope? Got a line on a used one for what might be a decent price, but he doesn't have the manual. Also batteries are dead and no power supply. I can deal with the batteries and buying a power supply, but I would really like a user manual for this scope. Here is a link and about all I know about it:
Tek 224

I searched all over Tek's site and it looks like this scope is slightly too old to have been converted to PDF for download. Looks like it went out of production in 1999. I have used scope from a similar time period that use this menu type of navigation so it isn't completely foreign, but I would be more confortable buying it if I could find a manual. If anyone has a manual that I could borrow and scan that would be great.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

How much is being asked for it? Given the cost of a ps and battery, it would have to be nearly free.

I never really needed a user manual - it's really instinctive, and Tek has a great user interface. What do you need the manual for?

There are pointy haired bald people.
Time flies when you have a bad prescaler selected.

He would go $220 shipped for it. Battery will probably be about $50 and power supply another $50 to $75 depending on the amount of current needed. I'm not going with Tek parts for the replacements, but still it's another $100+ to get it going again. He says the probes are in good shape, but I bet I would need new probes too, so there is a big chunk of money to get decent Tek probes.

Obviously I'm still thinking about it but not jumping out of my chair to find a way to pay for it. it is better than what I have now, and cheaper than some other non portable scopes.

We made our own portable kit for our scope. We bought a nice padded vanity case (looks like a large lunch box with carrying handle) put a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) inside, put the scope on top of that, and that was it. :D The battery in the UPS lasts several hours, and if the UPS is not connected to the mains, provides isolated power to the scope. The whole thing (UPS + case) cost about $100.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Tektronix provides many of their manuals as free downloads. All you have to do is sign up for MyTek on their web site. They don't have really old manuals on line and not all of the current model manuals are available, but they have actually released copyright "copy" and “distribution” protection for obsolete equipment manuals. A bold step not many manufactures seem willing to take. BTW, I have seen many of these free down loadable manuals being sold by others.

It might also be in a manual for a product family. Like a TDS200 user manual might apply to the entire family including the TDS224. So don't limit your MyTek manual search.

You can also get service manuals, which are not very intuitive :wink:.

btw. have you tried sending a request to tek?

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

If I buy it I'll send an email to them. And this is not a TDS224 but several models before that. I went round and round with that last night. The cutoff for the manuals seems to be somewhere in the 2000 or 2001 range.

For that price you can do much better. Do you really have to have a slow 10 yr old digital scope that bad? Unless you absolutely need a portable, isolated from ground scope, I would keep looking. Its one shot capture rate is much less than the bandwidth implies. Good scope if you need the isolation, but faster more versatile scopes are available for that price on ebay.

Rick

That's kind of my thoughts too. I offered $175 or maybe $200. If it was a TDS224, then it would be worth a little more, but not so much for this one. Portable would be good, but I could probably get away with a mains connected device.

I don't see anyone else rushing to buy it, so we'll see what happens with the offer I made.

BTW I'm making due with something a hundred times lesser that cost almost as much about 5 years ago, so this would still be a step up.

One thing you should know about the older Tektronix portable digital scopes. The batteries did not seem to hold up very well in the models that were produced in those first few years of their production. At one place that I worked, we had to replace the batteries about 3 times over a three year period. I don't recall the model number, but it was a very early model - like in about the first or second year of their production. Maybe things changed in the years following the production of that particular model that I'm refering to.

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

The guy isn't willing to go lower, and after 29 pages on Ebay I see I can get better for around the same or less, so I'm not all that concerned. I don't need anything right now so I'm not willing to rush into anything like this. And most of my needs could be met with an analog scope, and I can get nice 4 channel delayed sweep scopes in the 100Mhz+ range for the same or less (if my timing is good).

Most of the stuff I need a scope for is analog audio and "low" speed signals dealing with analog NTSC video so really a good 20Mhz scope would handle most of my work needs. Hobby needs I'm starting to push that limit as I'm starting to get into clock speeds of 20Mhz or so, that means I'm starting to get into the needs of a 40Mhz+ scope.

There are a couple of cheapo dual channel 10Mhz scopes with XY display that might find a home as a cheap audio phase meter, way cheaper than the Tek phase meters we use around our studio. Need to do a little more research on those before I suggest it to my boss. He does a lot of outside audio work for community theater and some high end audio recording and I know he wants a phase meter but hasn't purchased one yet.

Try going for a Rigol - I got mine (new) 500MSps, 25MHz bandwidth for ~325 USD.

There are pointy haired bald people.
Time flies when you have a bad prescaler selected.

Heard lots of good things about different Rigol scopes, might even go with a computer connected version for my hobby use.