TCPSimDBG , Remote(TCP/IP) Simulating/Debugging

Go To Last Post
18 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi all ,

Well i uploaded a new AVR Studio 4 Plug-in with the name of "AVR Sim Debug , TCPSimDBG" ( https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p... ). It s a new way to provide user a flexible way to debug and simulate their own devices that they create (like leds , TFT/LCDs, buttons...),

The plug-in acts like a client witich send the requested data from the server application, data can be , a request to set/clear registers , memory data , and more ! and also perform AVR Studio actions like "single step" "step over" ..... all of this is done remotely with TCP/IP .

So i need you suggstions , discussions , ... about this new plug-in and this new way of debugging , and of course discussions about developing new devices simulated remotely .

Well i forget to mention about up coming updates, i am actually developing an example of device that can be simulated over TCP/IP, it s the Nokia Color LCD , now every body will be able de debug and similate it ! ;)

I ll publish it in something like 3 weeks , stay tuned ! ;)

Also i need your feed backs , and new ideas about devices , ...

Well i am lookin to place this plug in in the New main page of AVR Freaks , i sent a request , but an auto msg told me there is 3 other messages in waiting or some like that , what does that mean ?

well still waitin for feed backs :)

I saw that there are somr downloads so please i just need your feedback , to see if it was interesting for users or there is something that i need to change

thx

Hi ahmedjouirou, this is a cool tool!

I have a question about the requirements: Can i use it with Windows 98SE and AVR-Studio 4.12 SP2?

I think what is required next is source code for a simple client application.

Your Nokia Color LCD device might be the key to show the usefulness of your solution.

Well , this plug in works with AVR Studio 4.12 or later, and need C++ MFC lib/binaries (framework)-like .NET frame work- installed in your Operating system, (Are you still using Win98 ! ;) i am joking well you can install .NET framework on it ).

Quote:

I think what is required next is source code for a simple client application.

I think that you mean a source code of the server application, cuz the plug-in (avr studio) acts like a client, and in the other end you (ex: Nokia LCD) you need the server.

Sure i will provide in the next few days a simple application+source code to manipulate leds and buttons .
I provided in the user guide the commands to send over TCP to make users familiar with this plug-in.

And i am currently working on a simulator of the Nokia color lcd (the server part) , i think it will be published in three weeks !

Thanks for feedbeck , i am relly waiting for anyone who have any question about this tool !

Like Hapsim I'd actually start with an emulation of 8 LEDs that can be attached to a PORT first then leave more exciting stuff like LCDs for later.

If this really can achieve what Hapsim does but in an extensible fashion it could be VERY interesting but like Stef I'd like to see a complete worked example that could be used as a template to develop other add-on simulations (a UART terminal being the next obvious one)

Yep , thats correct, thats why ill provide , in 2 or 3 days a simple example containing LEDs Buttons (simple devices) i ll provide it s source code, and it will be provided as an example based on Visual Basic.

But i really want to know from the people that used this plug-in , did they install it , and try to send commands/requests ... ?

I have uploaded an Example of application that communicate over TCP with the TCPSimDBG plug-in , this application was developed using MicroSoft Visual Basic 6 , and i included the source code of it .

It can simulate/emulate leds and buttons.

You can find it here:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

Well , i am waiting for feedbacks ;) hope that the example that i published was simple and easy to understand.

StefB wrote:

Can i use it with Windows 98SE?

Unfortunately not.

.NET 3.5 is required and i found no redistributables of this framework for Windows 98SE.

Seems i need to upgrade the OS ;-) I hesitated because i'm a hobbyist and i use cheap 2nd hand PC equipment for electronics.

well you can use AVR Studio + Plug-in in a Non Windows 98SE , and in the other hand you can use the example accplication (the server part) in your Windows98SE ;)

For the users that installed the plug-in , and established connexion with it and the example application, please i need your feedback , and kinds of problem that you found in doing steps

[cliff: either people are going to respond or they aren't - just entering "blank" messages to bump the thread probably isn't going to influence their decision]

I think this plugin is a very good idea.

My short test of the plugin
System: XP
Simulator: AVR Studio 4.15 Build 623
TCP Server: Hercules 3.2.1
Part: ATMEGA32
Program: little test with port output in C

commands working correct
03,04(data 00-1F and ram 60-…)
05,06,07,08,0A
0E,0F

commands i had problems
30,02,01 answer 01 in a permanent loop (abort only
with disconnect)

03,04 not working in the I/O 20(00)-5F(3F)

12,12 00, 12 01 in studio message window “Unknown”

13,13 00, 13 01 in studio message window “Stop”
but no reset of the programcount

why not just use proteus to simulate things?

I love Digital
and you who involved in it!