Success, ATmega4809 Curiosity Nano on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I was able to get this working this morning, with an example program, I found on Github. By way of encouragement for like minded individuals.

ATmega4809 Curiosity Nano

Took quite a while of searching through all the relevant settings to make sure the correct PKOB was selected, optimizations off, software breakpoints enabled to allow software stepping over function calls, etc.

I did have to upgrade to the latest greatest Mplabx, for this to work properly (MplabX 5.45).

I noted this response from the debug adapter on the board (nEDBG). There did seem to be an issue with firmware upgrade stalling, but then (maybe) being OK?

Currently loaded versions:
Application version...........1.21.37 (0x01.0x15.0x25)
Tool pack version .............1.6.222
Target voltage detected

Can anyone confirm this is the most recent firmware for the debug probe on the board?

I'm not sure that the command line tools to upgrade the nEDBG support on the board, work the same on linux as Windows?

Thanks!

Attachment(s): 

If you have 1.21.37 then you have the latest.

This should be shown in the "dashboard", lower left of the MPLABX screen.

Thank you, I was able to confirm this is the case.  There's an XML file inside the zip file that tags the major and minor release number inside the MplabX directory. FYI.

I made a standalone Virtual Box image for Ubuntu 20.11, this does work for sure, and the debugging speed is fair. Certainly doable.

MplabX senses the plugin of the ATmega4809 Curiosity Nano, and then presents an option to download relevant example code from github.

Compiles fine, and then debugs with software break points enable, be sure to turn compiler optimization off.

Attachment(s): 

Last Edited: Mon. Dec 14, 2020 - 03:43 PM

rasyoung wrote:
be sure to turn compiler optimization off.

Use -Og for debug!

FF = PI > S.E.T