Studio 6 production release

Go To Last Post
57 posts / 0 new

Pages

Total votes: 0

Quote:
How would you have preferred to view the API doc GTKNarwhal? "AS6 native", PDF, HTML as zip?

"AS6 native" or HTML would be fine with me. In previous versions of AVR/Atmel Studio, I've always been able to click on Help -> View Help and view the API dox in a browser or the Windows Help Viewer. Now all there is is a link to view them online.

Gamu The Killer Narwhal
Portland, OR, US

abcminiuser wrote:

Quote:

when I noticed that the bundled avr-size does not appear to have Eric Weddington's -C patch applied?

I'm speculating here, but it is probably a case of the tools team wanting to keep things as stock as possible, so that we don't get too many arch/company specific patches in that others can't easy replicate. Since it's fixable from the AS6 end I suspect they figured that they could keep the tools vanilla.

That's a strawman argument.

#1 - There will always be patches to the stock release on every toolchain release. It's just the nature of doing toolchain releases. There will always be backported bugs fixed, new device support that is not upstream yet, etc. Adding one more patch doesn't break the bank. I know; I've done this on WinAVR for 10 years.

#2 - Removing the patch now penalizes users on other platforms such as Linux, and Mac. Because if a post-processing step is included in Atmel Studio 6, sans patch, then only Windows-users of AS6 reap the benefits. Linux and Mac users are out in the cold.

abcminiuser wrote:

Quote:

Talking of Eric, a few days ago he started a thread to ask "what utils are missing from AS5/6 that were in WinAVR?". Amongst these was grep.exe. I thought the question was being asked because the missing ones would now be added to AS6. But sadly no grep.exe in:

I believe the current issue is that updated ported binaries can't be found, or at least haven't been found in a way that can be distributed. A stopgap is to install the utilities from GnuWin32 if you need them:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/...

The discussion on this is still ongoing.

Again, another strawman argument. The binaries can be found, even bash. They can be redistributed because they are all FOSS. They are included in WinAVR.

abcminiuser wrote:

Quote:

4.6.2 sounds nice but this is presumably too old for LTO and Georg-Johann's __flash stuff?

Yes, that's in 4.7.x IIRC, which the toolchain team haven't moved to yet.

And for good reason. 4.7.0 has bugs on the AVR target. You really need to have 4.7.1. And even then, a lot of testing should be done.

Sure Eric, I did say I was just speculating for the most part, and I didn't say I agree with it. Comment in the JIRA entries if you want to see what's going on.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Quote:
the JIRA entries
[my emphasis]

Oh good $DEITY above!, I now have a better understanding why some decisions made at Atmel seems strange. My condolences to everyone involved.. :wink:

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

my windows XP 32 bit work machine has the production version crashing just as badly as it did with the beta. But I'm not particularly surprised as it has a network hosted user directory structure, and a few other things like android's AVD manager come a cropper on that, too (though they don't just go pop and disappear... just the virtual device launcher can't find the devices the manager creates) Also it has multiple visual studio 2008 express installs: C++, C#, VB....

New i7 laptop ordered for home yesterday. Should have it on monday to test out studio 6 on a brand new windows 7 pro 64 bit install.

I'm expecting good things from what I've read in this thread so far....

Seems to start faster. I started by wiping out and re-installing windoze. I think I've learned not to try starting Studio 6 without internet connected. I have one of those little "MyFi" dealies, so it's only on when I want it on.

Of course, since re-installing my netbook, MS is constantly updating things, so performance might be a little slow.

Wow. AVAST virus protection is in great fear of the gcc compiler. It could not find any evidence that it is malware, but it strongly cautioned me not to run it, since it didn't know what it was. Glad it wasn't a compiler that makes windows EXE's, AVAST would likely have called the FBI for me.

If you don't know my whole story, keep your mouth shut.

If you know my whole story, you're an accomplice. Keep your mouth shut. 

Pages