Studio 6 production release

Go To Last Post
57 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

Oh, yes!

While the registration form now has been reduced to five fields or so, there is still the detour around receiving an email etc. Still stupid.

Dean, we need an update to your magic stuff..

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Installing now. :D

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

The link I was emailed is:

http://www.atmel.com/Images/as6i...

That opens a page with the following message:

Quote:
Dummy File. Replace

Maybe try the link off this page?

http://www.atmel.com/forms/softw...

That works. Bypasses all the registration. Straight to the download for the full installation.

Ohhh happy days, the Internet gets clogged with AS6 downloads now, we will soon be running out of Internet. It doesn't grow on trees you know.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Go plug into one of the gum trees John :)

@rev,

Please let us know what changes have been made. It would be really nice if there is a link to a ChangeLog.

I am wary of downloading so many GigaBytes without knowing what might have been fixed. ( I only installed the Beta three days ago! )

David.

One important thing to note:

• Issue #AVRSV-1752:
Displaying the call stack during debugging is not supported for 8-bit AVR devices.

Has been fixed, so you should be able to get the call stack information when optimization is disabled for AVRs.

One other important thing not listed there: the sensor library and associated demos do not work in AS6. This issue was discovered too late to delay the release, but we're working on it now.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Quote:

when optimization is disabled for AVRs.

What possible use is that? Why would optimization have an effect - if something is called surely the return address goes onto the stack regardless of optimization level.

If this is another thing persuading users to use -O0 then it's clear Atmel still doesn't understand this compiler.

Quote:

What possible use is that? Why would optimization have an effect - if something is called surely the return address goes onto the stack regardless of optimization level.

If this is another thing persuading users to use -O0 then it's clear Atmel still doesn't understand this compiler.

I may be misremembering, but I seem to remember having to disable optimization. IIRC the issue was that the call stack is built from the frame pointer in the stack, which is omitted when optimized.

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Then again what use is this? Surely Atmel do not want to encourage users of avr-gcc to operate it with -O0 ?

The can of worms has been opened :)

Is there a new avr-gcc/stuff version? A new "Toolchain" to download/play with?

JohanEkdahl wrote:
While the registration form now has been reduced to five fields or so, there is still the detour around receiving an email etc. Still stupid.

With the "Toolchain" download, the full form came up, but it was pre-filled, and there was no email detour, I got the direct link. I have an account at Atmel, though, as I was pestering their support already :-) - I presume you don't have one, do you, Johan?

Jan

PS. Why is there no mention in the "What's changed" list?

Quote:

Is there a new avr-gcc/stuff version? A new "Toolchain" to download/play with?

The final AS6 release build contains a new toolchain release for the 8 bit AVRs at least, which should also be available as a standalone download shortly.

Quote:

Then again what use is this? Surely Atmel do not want to encourage users of avr-gcc to operate it with -O0 ?

I'm going to double check this now to make sure -O0 really is required, but hey at least now call stack analysis is an option. My understanding of it is that the information required to generate the call stack details simply isn't output by the compiler with optimization enabled.

It's true:

gcc optimise documentation wrote:
-fomit-frame-pointer
Don't keep the frame pointer in a register for functions that don't need one. This avoids the instructions to save, set up and restore frame pointers; it also makes an extra register available in many functions. It also makes debugging impossible on some machines.

On some machines, such as the VAX, this flag has no effect, because the standard calling sequence automatically handles the frame pointer and nothing is saved by pretending it doesn't exist. The machine-description macro FRAME_POINTER_REQUIRED controls whether a target machine supports this flag. See Register Usage.

Enabled at levels -O, -O2, -O3, -Os.

Sadly there does not appear to be anything like -fforce-use-of-frame-pinter :-(

OTOH this looks interesting:

http://www.yosefk.com/blog/getti...

But I think the "modern ELF" and -fasynchronous-unwind-tables it talks about is not going to be DWARF-2 :-(

Quote:

Sadly there does not appear to be anything like -fforce-use-of-frame-pinter

Can't you simply prepend "no", as in

-fno-omit-frame-pointer

or is my memory sefving me badly today? (No time to dig into the docs right now...).

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Incidentally, is anyone seeing any startup speed increases with AS6? There was a pretty major slowdown identified and corrected between the beta and release, which should make it much faster in most cases.

No. Still slow as a slug.

I'm running it on a couple of very fast machines, 4.04GHz and 5.1GHz. The 5.1 GHz machine has an SSD and AS6 does load a bit faster on it.

I haven't tried it on my laptop yet, I will probably be able to brew a cup of tea while it loads. :wink:

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

The only way to view the ASF API documentation is online..? Really??? I guess it's time to quit using the ASF... :-(

Gamu The Killer Narwhal
Portland, OR, US

Quote:

The only way to view the ASF API documentation is online..? Really??? I guess it's time to quit using the ASF... Sad

You could generate it locally, but last I heard the full documentation size was over a gigabyte. Run the project generator script with the Doxygen generator, then recursively run the module Doxygen scripts.

Actually, since most customers only use one architecture at the time, on one revision of the ASF (my assumption ) he would also only need a fraction of the API-doc. sooo one gig is propably quite a lot more than you'd end up with if you take a conservative approach when generating.

How would you have preferred to view the API doc GTKNarwhal? "AS6 native", PDF, HTML as zip?

Quote:

PDF,

Yes - better yet a CHM (anyone here remember AS4? Nothing wrong with the Help it contained)

Talking about docs. Does anybody know where I can find the changes in the toolchain?

I read the avr32_gnu_toolchain-3.3.2.321-readme.pdf but there was no info about the changes to the previous version. Of course AS6.0 final now includes toolchain 3.4 that is not available for a standalone download yet.

As you say, it's the -readme.pdf files in the toolchain. In AS6, these are located in:

C:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.0\extensions\Atmel\AVRGCC\3.4.0.65\AVRToolchain\avr\avr8-gnu-toolchain-3.4.0.663-readme.pdf

C:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.0\extensions\Atmel\AVRGCC\3.4.0.65\AVRToolchain\avr32\avr32-gnu-toolchain-3.4.0.332-readme.pdf

The differences to the previous versions are listed in the "New and Noteworthy" sections of each manual.

Deep joy. Installed it. Clicked desktop icon. 1 minute and 5 seconds later the spash screen logo appeared, about 2 minutes after that this appeared:

I'm so glad I uninstalled AS5.1 first - now I have neither 5 nor 6 - some may call this a "Good Thing(tm)"

[thinks: am I not allowed to install it on a network drive? In fact this is a virtual drive providing a share between an XP VM and my Linux host using VirtualBox]

Attachment(s): 

Quote:

I'm so glad I uninstalled AS5.1 first - now I have neither 5 nor 6 - some may call this a "Good Thing(tm)"

Come on Cliff, I thought you would have come around by now at least a little bit.

That error seems to indicate that your old AS5.1 extensions are still registered somehow. Uninstall both 6.0 and 5.1 fully, and reinstall from a clean environment.

Quote:

Come on Cliff, I thought you would have come around by now at least a little bit.

That error seems to indicate that your old AS5.1 extensions are still registered somehow. Uninstall both 6.0 and 5.1 fully, and reinstall from a clean environment.

Dean,

Don't patronise me - this thing is utter shite. I am behaving as an average user. I went to Control Panel. Used Add/Remove Programs and selected "AS5.1". How else would an average user uninstall some no longer needed/used software. If you are about to say to me "all you need do is run regedit" then I give up completely. Why in the name of God should an end user have to hand edit the registry or whatever else to uninstall a program? They will use Add/Rmove in Control panel and expect that to FULLY uninstall the thing they just asked to. If your installer/deinstaller program is not capable of this simplistic task then I'd question Atmel's ability to develop software completely.

I will now use Add//Remove to take this dross away too. I will then run regedit and see if I can manage not to destroy my AS4.19 installation in the process but remove any signs of 5.1 or 6 then I guess I have no choice but to install it back to C: (though the space on my VM drive is low) and see if it works.

How an average user would cope with something like this I know not or are y'all of the opinion that it's software aimed at programmers and they are bound to know how to clean a registry after a messy installation failure?

PS last time I installed MS Office or even MS VSxxxx I had no such issues.

Thanks Dean, I found it.

It would be nice if somebody at Atmel could make an updated version of "AVR32006 : Getting started with GCC for AVR32" and put all the "News and Noteworthy" in it.

Quote:

I went to Control Panel. Used Add/Remove Programs and selected "AS5.1". How else would an average user uninstall some no longer needed/used software.

Actually, that should be all that is required - I've been testing daily internal builds for months and I have not had those issues after performing uninstalls through the usual uninstall process. I wasn't trying to imply that you were incompetent in any way, I just didn't know if you had already attempted an uninstallation of AS5.1.

I'll forward this to the tools team and see if they can give any hints to a resolution.

Question - do you reboot after each uninstall/install. Having just completed the uninstallation of AS6 it just struck me that the reason it may "remember" about 5.1 is that there was never any reboot forced at the end of its intallation. So if those components are like DLLs they might still be cached in memory.

If it is this then (a) I needn't have just uninstalled and now I face the task of a pointless reinstall and (b) if it requires it your installation should force a reboot or at least offer it. Then if the user chooses not to do that and it all goes tits up it's their fault, not yours.

So I'm off to reboot the VM and then reinstall.

(do not assume that users reboot/power off computers - my Linux host typically runs for several months without ever being powered off and the XP VMs I use only get rebooted about once every 2 to 3 weeks when our IT dept apply security patches to them - the one exception is when we have power cuts here and I don't get a choice about repowering either the host or the VMs).

Quote:

Question - do you reboot after each uninstall/install. Having just completed the uninstallation of AS6 it just struck me that the reason it may "remember" about 5.1 is that there was never any reboot forced at the end of it's intallation. So if those components are like DLLs they might still be cached in memory.

I've never restarted between uninstall/reinstall as far as I can remember, but perhaps it's needed between upgrading major versions.

After installation, does the AS5.1 install directory still exist, and if so is there anything in it?

Reboots are suggested by the uninstaller when the OS has an open file handle to one of the dll's that are scheduled for deletion by the uninstallation. Not adhering to said suggestion may result in quirks like this, yes ;)

Quote:

but perhaps it's needed between upgrading major versions.

I sort of hoped that someone there at Atmel might have tested this scenario? Surely everyone who currently has 5.1 is going to be doing this at some point?

As for whether anything of 5.1 was "left behind". The only remnant I find is this:

Directory of C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Studio 5.1\extensions\Application

09/05/2012  17:19              .
09/05/2012  17:19              ..
19/12/2011  11:52           214,528 Atmel.VsIde.AvrStudio.Debugging.DebugEngine.dll.old
               1 File(s)        214,528 bytes

I seem to remember this was because "danv" gave us a new .dll to replace that file to fix the "no debug info" issue a while back. So I think this was to be expected.

Actually we have tested for this. We're completely at a loss as to how you managed to get into this mess. Thus:
-Did you by any chance install Atmel Studio 6 into the AVR Studio 5.1 folder?

The only way I could see this happen was if you did that and the uninstaller failed somehow to clean the 5.1 installation folder when uninstalling.

Attached is a /* edited added: photo of*/ my personal Atmel folder. I make it a point to run all releases in parallel. Ofcource Atmel pays my harddisks though ;)

Attachment(s): 

The show stopper for me was AVRTC-476 (GCC PR46779: wrong code generation for values held in R28/R29). Although not listed in the release notes, my preliminary testing indicates it has been fixed.

The AVRGCC version in the Atmel Studio 6 production release (6.0.1843) is 4.6.2. The version in the beta release (6.0.1703) is 4.5.1 and the version in WINAVR-20100110 is 4.3.3.

Don

Quote:

-Did you by any chance install Atmel Studio 6 into the AVR Studio 5.1 folder?

No, in fact it's on a different drive. I had installed 5.1 to my C: but as that's the "local" drive in a VM and only has 50GB with about 5GB free after I uninstalled 5.1 I decided to install the 6 to my E: which is a virtualbox share to an underlying /windows/ in my Linux host and that drive has about 0.25TB free.

I had a poke around in then registry and there were no remnant signs of 5.1 that I could see - though I could see plenty of entries for 4.x, Jungo and then 6.0 once that was reinstalled.

Working on the hunch that the issue here was the no reboot thing, not the fact I tried to install it to a "network" drive I've actually reinstalled 6 back to the same place as before. (though I checked first and after uninstallation it had gone completely).

As I've been typing this I've then been waiting for AS6 to start and, sad to say, I have exactly the same MessageBox() as above.

So this time I'll do all of:

1) uninstall
2) reboot
3) install to C: not E:
4) cross my fingers.

BTW when I get that message above it is followed by about 10 of the same for all the different packages. I've been answering [Yes] to the "show this again?" question and when they are finally cleared it "looks" like the IDE might work - it even gets as far as offering to create me a GCC project. So I think 6's components are working - it's just it's getting confused by some remnant of 5.1 somewhere. As I say I couldn't spot this in the registry.

Ah, network drive...
That's sadly not supported by the Visual studio shell because of some security issue or other.
The message boxes ranting about 5.1 are decidedly odd, though. I can see if we can recreate this here

Quote:

Ah, network drive...
That's sadly not supported by the Visual studio shell because of some security issue or other.
The message boxes ranting about 5.1 are decidedly odd, though. I can see if we can recreate this here

Then why in God's name when it let me pick the installation location did it not pup up and say "no can do - we don't do networks"?

BTW it's not "really" a network drive as such - but actually the same physical mechanism that the Linux host and the VM guest are using. It's just that VirtualBox presents such a "share" to the VM as if it were a an SMB.

Well good news already - having installed to local (virtual) drive C: it already shows the splash after about 5 seconds rather than 1 minute or more.

I'm a bit concerned that it prompted XP's firewall to ask if I wanted to unblock it - I presume this is for "news feed" or maybe access to help files? But one doesn't really expect or want an IDE to be doing internet access. Smacks of "Big Brother".

It's now running with no message box warnings. So they are clearly a spurious error that means "you aren't supposed to run me from a network drive".

I think you do need to change the installer to enumerate network drives and not allow them to be chosen for the installation location.

EDIT: Glory be to God - I forced the compiler to generate an LDS for a Tiny10 and remarkably it actually encoded the right opcode. That's progress.

Also, already, this thing "feels" much faster than previous incarnations.

Last Edited: Thu. May 10, 2012 - 04:17 PM

Quote:

Well good news already - having installed to local (virtual) drive C: it already shows the splash after about 5 seconds rather than 1 minute or more.

Excellent, that mirrors my own experience. Apparently something in the VS shell tries to enumerate all files in the application folder, which was horrendous due to all the tiny files in ASF. Now that ASF is deployed as a MSI extension studio starts much faster, and ASF can very easily be upgraded and/or replaced.

Quote:

I'm a bit concerned that it prompted XP's firewall to ask if I wanted to unblock it - I presume this is for "news feed" or maybe access to help files? But one doesn't really expect or want an IDE to be doing internet access. Smacks of "Big Brother".

It could be the news feed RSS loading, the update checker (currently unused I think) or even possibly the local TCP connection between front and backend that could be doing it.

Anyone here read "Stuff" magazine - when testing product they have a "roller coaster" display of the good thing they noticed after 3 minutes then the more negative thing after 8 minutes and so on.

AS6 is a bit like this. I was in the lowest dip on the track after the first 10 minutes but now it's climbing again. As I said in the edit above it just feels faster - as good as AS4 finally in fact! It now has a compiler that can generate valid code for tiny4/5/9/10 but I am just now headed down into another trough on this wild ride when I noticed that the bundled avr-size does not appear to have Eric Weddington's -C patch applied? I know you have a post-process task that does:

Task "RunOutputFileVerifyTask"
				Program Memory Usage 	:	158 bytes   1.0 % Full
				Data Memory Usage 		:	0 bytes   0.0 % Full

but to be honest I liked the avr-size -C style output and this just looks like reinventing the wheel because no one is friends with Eric any more?

Talking of Eric, a few days ago he started a thread to ask "what utils are missing from AS5/6 that were in WinAVR?". Amongst these was grep.exe. I thought the question was being asked because the missing ones would now be added to AS6. But sadly no grep.exe in:

C:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.0\extensions\Atmel\AVRGCC\3.4.0.65\AVRToolchain\bin

(and I guess the idea of an up to date avrdude.exe in the package would be totally out of the question?)

EDIT: oh and:

gcc version 4.6.2 (AVR_8_bit_GNU_Toolchain_3.4.0_663)

4.6.2 sounds nice but this is presumably too old for LTO and Georg-Johann's __flash stuff?

Quote:

AS6 is a bit like this. I was in the lowest dip on the track after the first 10 minutes but now it's climbing again.

I too realize there are many things left to fix, but also many good things that have been added. Your posts recently have come across as fearsomely negative towards AS5/5.1/6 which is understandable in some instances, but I was rather taken aback with this thread. I would have expected a "I am having an install issue" but you seemed happy to condemn it from the get-go. Give it a fair go and it'll grow on you, hopefully - that's all I/we ask.

Quote:

when I noticed that the bundled avr-size does not appear to have Eric Weddington's -C patch applied?

I'm speculating here, but it is probably a case of the tools team wanting to keep things as stock as possible, so that we don't get too many arch/company specific patches in that others can't easy replicate. Since it's fixable from the AS6 end I suspect they figured that they could keep the tools vanilla.

Quote:

Talking of Eric, a few days ago he started a thread to ask "what utils are missing from AS5/6 that were in WinAVR?". Amongst these was grep.exe. I thought the question was being asked because the missing ones would now be added to AS6. But sadly no grep.exe in:

I believe the current issue is that updated ported binaries can't be found, or at least haven't been found in a way that can be distributed. A stopgap is to install the utilities from GnuWin32 if you need them:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/...

The discussion on this is still ongoing.

Quote:

4.6.2 sounds nice but this is presumably too old for LTO and Georg-Johann's __flash stuff?

Yes, that's in 4.7.x IIRC, which the toolchain team haven't moved to yet.

Quote:

I too realize there are many things left to fix, but also many good things that have been added. Your posts recently have come across as fearsomely negative towards AS5/5.1/6 which is understandable in some instances, but I was rather taken aback with this thread. I would have expected a "I am having an install issue" but you seemed happy to condemn it from the get-go. Give it a fair go and it'll grow on you, hopefully - that's all I/we ask.

You are patronizing me again ;-)

Admit it - until this release (well admittedly only based on about 30 minutes of use) this whole project has been an unmitigated public relations disaster, Software released probably 2 years ahead of schedule that was not fit for purpose. If you had played the Microsoft game and said "look everyone, do you want to get a sneak peek at some new stuff and help us iron out the problems" and call it a beta test or a release candidate then you could be bathing in the kudos right now. But instead you rushed it out simply to make the news at some trade show then added insult to injury by having some bozo in a suit make a video telling us that water could be turned to wine and souls may be rescued from purgatory by this astonishing software. He should get the medal for patronization in fact! If you were honest with your customers/users and didn't treat them as naive imbeciles but said "look we admit this software is still in development and we'd really appreciate it if you could help us out here" but trying to "sell" this alpha/beta as something that could be used as a mission critical tool was a total insult to your customers intelligence.

BTW to avoid a similar response in future you may want to avoid the patronzing attitude.

Also, at the end of the day I'm just one user and the above is simply in my arrogant opinion - no one else's so I don't see that it really matters what I think about it and the irony is that this release may (just "may" at this early stage) finally be a release that could be relied upon for real work an not just some tinkering.

Oh and "Goto Implementation" on the right-click context menu... nice. (shame you don't actually have VS2008's "Goto definition" and "Goto delcaration" but it's close).

Installed studio 6 upgrade today. Right at the end a dialog pops up saying "File does not pass microsoft something or another. Microsoft suggests not continuing the installation". I hit continue. Sorry I can't remember the verbatim message....

Imagecraft compiler user

Quote:

Right at the end a dialog pops up saying "File does not pass microsoft something or another. Microsoft suggests not continuing the installation". I hit continue. Sorry I can't remember the verbatim message....

That sounds like an unsigned driver installation - but the Jungo and Segger ones included in Studio should be signed. Did it looks like one of these?

http://www.google.com/search?q=u...

abcminiuser wrote:
Incidentally, is anyone seeing any startup speed increases with AS6? There was a pretty major slowdown identified and corrected between the beta and release, which should make it much faster in most cases.

I cant say that its faster at startup but its faster at compiling

I just noticed a 3rd party bug is that naggy extension doesn't work because of gcc path changed again...

Cliff,

Have you seen this:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

Do you feel better now? :wink:

Pages