Studio 5.1.208 Has No Help

Go To Last Post
12 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Is it just me? Or does the new non-BETA release of AVR Studio 5.1.208 have no help?

Gamu The Killer Narwhal
Portland, OR, US

Works for me, which part of the help system is broken on your machine?

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Help -> View Help

The web browser opens but it complains about no help content being available.

On my Internet-connected laptop, I get help, but it appears in the Microsoft Help Viewer, not in Firefox (my default web browser).

My desktop has no Internet access. I've downloaded the H3 Help Viewer from the Visual Studio Gallery and, if re-installing AVR Studio doesn't fix the problem, I'll try installing the Help Viewer to see it that cures the problem.

Gamu The Killer Narwhal
Portland, OR, US

Quote:
My desktop has no Internet access. I've downloaded the H3 Help Viewer from the Visual Studio Gallery

Microsoft Help Viewer should be a part of Visual Studio Isolated shell install.

After that You need to have your desktop online for an one time only download of AVR Help content.

1. Launch AVR Studio 5.1
2. Click Help, select Manage Help Settings
3. Install content from online
4. Check only AVR Studio Help 5.1 (Make sure that is local)

See screenshot attached.

Hope this helps

BTFdev

Attachment(s): 

Quote:

You need to have your desktop online for an one time only download of AVR Help content.

Doesn't anyone else think this is a bit mad? You download 0.5GB of install package and it STILL doesn't contain some .html/.chm/whatever? What is the thinking behind this online retrieval of help? Is it so it's up to date on the day of installation? Won't most users simply do the "get help online" fetch on the day they install the main package anyway?

Quote:

What is the thinking behind this online retrieval of help?

My guess is that this is something imposed by the MS infrastructure, rather than by the AS5 dev team @ Atmel.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

clawson wrote:
Quote:

You need to have your desktop online for an one time only download of AVR Help content.

Doesn't anyone else think this is a bit mad? You download 0.5GB of install package and it STILL doesn't contain some .html/.chm/whatever? What is the thinking behind this online retrieval of help? Is it so it's up to date on the day of installation? Won't most users simply do the "get help online" fetch on the day they install the main package anyway?

Hmm.. Seems to be some misinformation travelling about.

To begin, the help content is bundled with the installer. AVR Studio does not currently support online help, but maybe in the future this may be used to update the help. The online option is checked by AVR Studio at startup, and changed to local if something has set it to online.

However, we have identified a case where the help fails to install without a error. This happens typically on a offline xp machine, as there are some issues with the certificates. In 5.1, theese are updated on demand.

To see what is going on, you should look in the Event Log for errors during the installation (the entries should be marked with helplibmanager).

Also, what symptoms are you seeing? A 404 page?
What is the link to the page? In the system tray, does the HelpLibAgent run? Did you have a network connection during the installation?

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

Last Edited: Thu. Feb 23, 2012 - 07:32 AM

As meolsen pointed out, the help is bundled with the installer. I found the same issue on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system. It has a problem with two of the help CAB files failing the digital signature check.

The files are:

JTAGICE3UserGuide_1008.cab
STK600UserGuide_1008.cab

I was able to manually install the help using the Help Library Manager after editing "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Studio 5.1\help\helpcontentsetup.msha" and deleting the

s containing the references to these two files.

NOTE: this is being worked under ATTicket:668816.

Gamu The Killer Narwhal
Portland, OR, US

Yes, there is an issue with AVR Studio 5.1.208.
I tried it.
This happens even with WinXP if the PC is not connected to internet.
The solution is to ensure internet connectivity during installation.

Gory details: For historical reasons MS are terrified of viruses that are embedded in HTML. That is why they have us deliver the content in signed cab's. Our build system failed to get a timestamp for the signing of two helpfiles. By a slip we sent out an unstamped version for those. This results in a silent failure to install help content. *sigh*.
The workaround is quite correct: to be online when installing.
We have another build ready, and will ship as soon as the webteam can manage.

Quote:

For historical reasons MS are terrified of viruses that are embedded in HTML.

Historical or not, the reasons seems good IMO. How many Windows Update patches for weaknesses in Windoze, opening "buffer overrun attacks" etc, have there been through the years?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Helpless you are?

Hmm, join the club

If you don't know my whole story, keep your mouth shut.

If you know my whole story, you're an accomplice. Keep your mouth shut.