Studio 4.12 wishlist.

Go To Last Post
76 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

As another thread shows there seems to be a new Studio release in the air. I wish for a couple of things please (if not in this release maybe the next? :) ).

The STK500/AVRISP programming tool to be a standalone program same as for AVRprog.

Have checkboxes on both the fuse and lockbits pages so as to have the option of either automatically read the fuses/lockbits as it happens now (which I find a real pain) or disable the automatic reading so as to keep the bits set as per the previous programming session.

Have the facility to save all programming setting in a folder so that each project can have it's settings saved in it's own folder. When it comes to program more chips for the same project, simply load up the file and program the chips.

Oh...almost forgot...no bugs please...(but that's too much to ask :-) )

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Better simulations of power saving modes would be nice.
Inline support for GCC? Politically incorrect but I can still wish :)

How about a simulation for standard hardware interfaces with other atmel products,
such as at24 and at25 eeproms,
dataflash ram,
or USB for the AT43 series (not sure if it's there)

How about the ability to program test vectors?

I know these are pretty out there as suggestions, but hey, I can dream. :)

an object at rest...
cannot be stopped!

1.) autosave before blue-screen crashes

2.) warning for trying to use the stack without defining it

AVRStudio for Linux ! ... oops, sorry, I was daydreaming again and got carried away. But, how about at least the capability of running on top of the Linux wine/crossover emulation? My impression was that way back it could (with AVRStudio 3). Last time I tried with AVRStudio 4, although it got through the install, it would not run.

+1 on avr-gcc support.

PLEASE L I N U X!

Hum please disregard my suggestion.

I have not read the entire mega datasheets since the Mega103....:oops:

Currently application code can read the lock/fuse bit values. Duh!

See the Mega128 datasheet page 281:
Reading the Fuse and Lock Bits from Software :roll:

oh my... talk about rtfm... wow :roll: :oops:

Happy coding!

Last Edited: Tue. Jun 7, 2005 - 03:17 PM

Many constructive suggestions here, this kind of feedback is very useful for us. We are a bit late in the 4.12 release cycle for any new major changes now, but the feedback is valuable for future versions as well.

A suggestion: Can someone more knowledgeable than me about the forum software make this thread sticky? That way it will be easier to locate both for us and for other users in the future.

Thank you,
--
Roland Kruse
Atmel AVR Tools

Some minor details to be fixed would also be to complete the "information window" on the register and to make sure everything is correct, for example, the FOC0A in the attiny2313.
I understand the "consult datasheet for more information line" but maybe the sentence "more information will be added in a later release" after would be nice to see.

+3 on the linux support BTW. (My supervisor, the program director and me) if it can work, We can actually show AVRstudio as the debgging environment to classes of engineers instead of a GDB/Eclpse combo.

PS, I am thrilled to see that the AVR developpers read this forum, makes me feel important. :)

an object at rest...
cannot be stopped!

Hi everyone,

Two things I'm waiting from the first release of AVRStudio 4 are:
1) The terminal I/O window
2) The trace capability in the simulator

Have a nice day

Pippo

Hi everyone, this is my first post so forgive any stuff ups. And sorry if I'm adding to other suggestions.

I'm hopeing that there is some way to simulate an input into the ADC pins? And, unless I'm wrong, a way to simulate SPI. Perhaps a terminall simulaton with keyboard input (like Proteus, that would be very useful)?
Also, if my memeory servse me right, in Studio 3.* it was possible to input into a port pin while the program was running. This was very useful.
+1 for Trace in simulation.
And yes it's nice to know the AVR developers read this. Thanks for an excelent (and free) tool. I'm having great fun with it and it's taught me heaps,

Roy

73's
Roy
VK5ASY

Please add auto-reload function, when source file currently opened in AVR Studio is changed by another application.

Thank you.

Plz. make some functions switchable:
-Auto reprogramming the device by the JTAG ICE MKII, it's not funny if you want to load programm and other binary data into flash and then it is overwritten by the Studio :-(

What's about a well definded interface to other programms/self written programs to emulate ext. hardware or watch variables .... ?
Would be a nice thing I think...

Resolve pointer to arrays in the watch list -> e.g. auto insert the array if you insert a pointer to it

cycle counter when debugging with JTAG ICE

Improve parse to eliminate path problems with ..//

Add union type to watch window.
Improve watch window to display big arrays (ex. ask to refresh data do not automatically )

Hi,

I have some comments to the JTAGICE mkII items:

baer.ac wrote:
Plz. make some functions switchable:
-Auto reprogramming the device by the JTAG ICE MKII, it's not funny if you want to load programm and other binary data into flash and then it is overwritten by the Studio :-(

This feature is already in place. If you connect with AVR Studio for the first time, you need to check the "Open platform options" when you select platform and target. Then you get the JTAGICE mkII options dialog prior to connecting to the target, and can select the "Don't reprogram device" in the Debug tab.

Quote:
cycle counter when debugging with JTAG ICE

This one is not possible, since the On-Chip Debug system doesn't maintain a cycle counter.

Regards,
Tore Olsen
AVR Software Tools

Hi everyone

My second post in this thread.

Another wish: 3rd part compiler interface

Have a nice day

Pippo

Editor sessions are a BIG problem.

If you open a file a second time it is a completely different edit session. This means that when you call the assembler it will use whichever of the sessions it wants to. If you have made edits in both sessions standby for an untangle the files session :cry:

To make matters worse if you double click on an error message it will often open a new edit session encouraging you to get in a mess.

Having multiple views to a single edit session is the classic solution to this problem.

Before anyone suggests it the split window feature wouldn't solve the problem even if it worked properly.

Hello,
I use AVR Studio 4.11 with ICE200. I have two basic problems with it.

1) It seems to be impossible to remove a source file from a project. If I change the text of the source file in a different editor, then I can't remove the old source from the project and load the source that has been edited by the external editor. I have to leave Studio, re-run the program, and re-load the project. There should be the ability to both remove a source file from a project and reload the current source file from the disk.

2) I set the left frame of the window display to have the registers displayed on top and the memory displayed on the bottom. Then, after a 'Build and Run' of changed source code, the Register display fills the entire left frame and I have to manually reopen and reposition the memory display. The Studio program should remember and restore the user's interface after a 'Build and Run' operation.

Plz. re-write the functions of communication protocol (V2.0) to increase the speed.

I dont know if this feature exists (i cant find it) I want to go backwards in simulation. Like the forward step button that moves forward 1 instruction there should be a backward step that goes back in time 1 instruction. For instance if theres a breakpoint on a subroutine I could hit backstep to see where the subroutine was called. Or just be able to see how it gets to an unexpected section of code. That would be real useful, thanks.

In the watch window, it could sometimes be usefull to se the values in binary, yes binary I said, like "Display selected value as Bin".

youst my 0.0002$

Regards
Vidar (Z)

----------------------------------------------------------

"The fool wonders, the wise man asks"

Quote:
I dont know if this feature exists (i cant find it) I want to go backwards in simulation.

This is somewhat akin to wanting to have a COME FROM-instruction (the opposite of GO TO). In general this is not possible. For example: Should the simulator remeber when asynchronous events (interrupts) happened and "undo" them?

What could be wished for is a trace history that holds the last n steps executed, and for each of those the "context" that it executed in (ie. remembering the complete state if the AVR. This history could then be inspected with some smart human interface. I'm sure this can not fit the time frame for the next version of Studio, and I'd be surprised if it will ever be done.

IMHO the opening up of the compiler integration interfaces is the prime major step to be taken, but that seems to be a baby difficult to deliver.

As for smaller things I'd wish for ability to select display radix indipendently for watch items (I want to display one variable in decimal, another in hex, another in binary).

Not affecting me, but others seemingly, is the shortcomings and bugs in the simulator.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Some points are mentioned above but if more people wish the same things maybe they get higher weighted? :lol:

- Trace capability during simulation
- Logging possibility with a time base (e.g.each 20 steps or so)
- setting inputs during running simulation
- update of output status during running simulation

- logging of every register, specially those of SPI and USART
- logging of PINxx, not just PORTx

Hi everybody!

First of all, I'd like to say: AVR Studio is one of the best debugging tools, I've ever used!

But there are a few things which I really miss:
*) Code coverage
*) Invalid address check (with an indicator like the IAR voyager) or may be with a "break" instruction to stop the simulator?
*) Trace? I'm not sure at the moment, do avr studio already support it?
*) Visualization of the port activities! (there is already this stimuli and logging stuff, but please make it visual! It's really a boring work to take the calculator, calculate the cycles for a specific time, add it to the last one, ... e.g. I wrote a tool to converte log files to WINDSO data and vice versa! I didn't use til now, because I didn't need it, but I'm sure it will be very practicable... :wink:

greetz

Here's my wishlist:
- don't remove trailing whitespace
- registers in register view are ordered in a weird way when more than one column
- changing memory locations is a pain with ice200. You can't go back with arrow key, if you type too fast, random numbers will appear, the cursor may be placed between mem-locations.
- there should be an F-key for "start debugging"
- the window settings (arrangement, positions) should be saved in the project file, so that they can be different for each project

Jürgen

Quote:
changing memory locations is a pain with ice200

For as much as I love my ICE200 it is now obsolete, so I don't see that they will be doing much work on it. BUT...I hope I'm wrong. In fact I would love to have an ICE200 reborn to support similar devices as the old one and maybe a few more of the smaller devices...and at the same price. 1st customer here :-)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Hello again

Hello again (sorry, false button pressed...) :oops:
Wishlist 2nd part:
1)
Simulator and JTAG run in "parallel" ->
You can wait for JTAG breakpoint in JTAG mode and then simulate with the simulator some stuff
OR
You can simulate until a specific point and jump then in JTAG mode....

2) Something like a logic analyzer for Portpins
3) Something like analog simulator (ADC Input simulation)
4) Something like analog scope for variables/registers. (The higher the value, the higher the line or something like that)

I think, you have to do enough now... :wink:

Instead of needing to "step through" each line of code, or needing to run it as normal. How about a feature allow you to divide the normal running speed by, half, one quarter, etc. So you can watch it run "normally."

I wrote:
As for smaller things I'd wish for ability to select display radix indipendently for watch items

I have since that discovered that this already is possible :oops:

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

1. Fix the AVRISP/STK500 update function. Right now when programming fails, it leaves the user to search for instructions for updating manually updating the programmer, and then to search further for the code file. And this assumes that the user knows to go looking for these instructions. It would be much better if, upon failure to update the programmer, the update function offered to help the user through the "manual" programming process. This may require adding a button to the AVRISP.

2. Help documentation -Make it possible to scroll all the way through the document without needing to switch sections. I would prefer .html format over chm format since with .html format, there are more options for ways to view and handle the information.

3. I/O View in Workspace Pane. Often, it is difficult or impossible to see the registers I am interested in and some of the relevant I/O at the same time, just because I can't make the Workspace pane tall enough. One way to solve this would be to make it possible to arrange the bits and pieces of the I/O view in the Work space pane by dragging the bits and pieces into position.

--
"Why am I so soft in the middle when the rest of my life is so hard?"
-Paul Simon

Scandalous wrote:
Instead of needing to "step through" each line of code, or needing to run it as normal. How about a feature allow you to divide the normal running speed by, half, one quarter, etc. So you can watch it run "normally."

Have you tried autostep? It doesn't have the speed adjustment you ask for, but otherwise fits your description. (Press Alt-F5 or the button that resembles the "Run" button but has a curly arrow instead of a straight one).

When running autostep the I/O view and program counter indicator are updated between each step, speed is limited by host speed (simulator) or target communication speed (other targets).

I use it a lot, particularly with the simulator.

--
roland

Revisit the code that talks to JTAG-ICE, and figure out why USB-SERIAL adapters are flaky. I'd guess it was a too-tight timeout somewhere.
I've tried it on 3 squeaky clean machines, with 3 different kinds of dongles, and one combination worked - sometimes.
My own programs have never had problems talking to JTAG-ICE over USB-SERIAL converters, so it's not that the converter does something too incorrectly, but it DOES behave differently from a PCI serial port, mainly the delay is higher.
(I have 4 JTAG-ICE and two mkII's to test with. USB may be fine and all, but I can't get fiber optic extenders for that yet)

May be useful in free-run mode (ALT+F5) possibility to change IO state. Now I need to pause simulator, change pin/port state, then continue simul... this not so useful...

I would like to have ability to debug C source files stored in different folders. Now I can debug C files that are stored in folder with main.c file.
Sometimes when you have a lot of source files it is useful to group them in folders e.g. UART, TIMERS....

Quote:
I would like to have ability to debug C source files stored in different folders. Now I can debug C files that are stored in folder with main.c file.
Sometimes when you have a lot of source files it is useful to group them in folders e.g. UART, TIMERS....

This should be possible with AVR Studio 4.11
Which compiler do you use and how do you build your project?

Torleif

I would reeeally love it if the PWM timer modes were simulated properly!

It would be nice to be able to simulate ADC readings too, but this is less important.

In the brief time I've been using AVR Studio and assembler, these things come to mind:

o Improve the macro support of avrasm2! Many times already I've started to write a macro to encapsulate a simple function and then discover it won't work because the macros can't refer to labels not present in the macro itself. You also need a counter variable so any labels can be unique if the macro is invoked many times. This is a really basic need!

o When editing assembler, I am used to having fixed tab assignments for certain columns, so my opcodes go in one column (say 10), operands start in the next column (say (16) and comments go in the 3rd column (say 36). Should be settable. And all tabs are converted to spaces so everything aligns when looking at the code outside of the IDE.

Lots of other things come to mind from other IDEs like Eclipse, but I wouldn't expect that much complexity here.

Thanks.

Harry

harrybstoner wrote:
o Improve the macro support of avrasm2! Many times already I've started to write a macro to encapsulate a simple function and then discover it won't work because the macros can't refer to labels not present in the macro itself. You also need a counter variable so any labels can be unique if the macro is invoked many times. This is a really basic need!

Please provide a program exhibiting this problem, both these items are implemented for assembler macros in avrasm2. The following program works as expected:

reset:
        rjmp start

.macro foo
        inc @0
        brne end
        rjmp @1
end:
.endm

start:  
        nop
        foo r1, loop
loop:   
        foo r2, loop

OTOH, if you are using preprocessor macros (#define), labels in the macro will not be unique, the preprocessor macro expansion is pure text substitution.

If you think you have found a bug in the assembler, you can report it to avrbeta atmel com. Please include the following inforimation:

- AVR Studio version
- Sample program exhibiting the problem.

You can also post the sample program here, if you prefer.

--
Roland Kruse
Atmel AVR Tools

Problems that NEED TO BE FIXED:

1. Project window will open the file above or below the selected file. You have to click around and try again / remove and add problem file..
2. Project window will not sort files. If you add one file it will put them in ABC order. After a build/debug they will randomize, makes it hard to find files when you have a lot of them.
3. Invisible breakpoints/breakpoints that wont go away/Inability to make breakpoints. I think this bug is related to #1, AVR doesn't think the file you are working with is actually part of the project.. resulting in some strange breakpoint behavior. The only solution I know of is to remove and re add the file/restart the program.
4. Multiple windows of the same file. Sometimes I will have some files open and I will double click on it from the project window and it opens a duplicate of the one already opened. If you keep clicking it will keep spawning copies of the file. This has caused me to save over changes on accident by editing the wrong file.
5. Studio does not recognize the file you edited has been edited - does not ask to save. I believe this is caused because studio does not know the file I am editing is part of my project, I hit CTRL+S everytime now that I know this can happen.
6. Toolbar placement goes stupid on program load sometimes. A couple times I've had it put menus out of the viewable screen area - had to un/reinstall studio.
7. EOF problem.. Sometimes if you put a RET at the end of a file it will not get compiled... the micro will go to the end of the file and run off into the weeds..Half of my files have RET RET at the end to solve the problem
8. Find in files... will open duplicate windows of same file (not the file you have open but a copy of the saved file you have open) results in confusion and lost code.. saving over changes and such...
9. Duplicate files appear in the project window... sometimes it happens?
10. Files disappear from project window..
11. Duplicate entry file which will not go away.. you have to select/add a fake entry file to fix problem.
12. Remove a file from project window and it will remove the file above or below, have to clear project/restart program to remove it.

Wishlist:
1. Watch window that can handle variables with more than one byte. For example FIFOPTR16 and FIFOPTR16+1, or allow us to enter an absolute addresses to monitor?

2. Losing +5v during debug will lock studio... all toolbar buttons are gray until you reapply +5.. you can't leave debug mode..make this not happen
3. Stop select JTAG dialog on debug, giving me two identical JTAG ID's to pick from? only happens sometimes.
4. In bigger AVR's: some hardware regs use IN/OUTs others use LDS/STS.. Run a check before compiling, generate error if wrong instruction w/ register is used.
5. Find in files.. Make default was search only ASM by default / Remember my last selection..

"Would you rebuild?"

my question is "Would you fix bugs?"

can we please have the next edition of avr studio able to simulate the multplication family of operations properly. it seems to me that the the current version (4.11) treats it as a "nop", not cool at all :(

also wat can i do in the meantime?

send any ideas to : 203504421@ukzn.ac.za

thanks

Hi,

Quote:
can we please have the next edition of avr studio able to simulate the multplication family of operations properly.

Which AVR are you trying to simulate the multiply instructions on? I have successfully simulated the "mul" (and only the "mul") based on using the mega169. I used the Atmel multiply and divide application note at first and then modified the code slightly for my own purpose. Since I really didn't know what I was doing at first I depended on the simulator to prove/disprove ideas I had. The simulator *seemed* to work fine and the full code worked in the end.

Sorry to ask, but you are aware that not all AVR's support the multiply instructions, no offense intended.

Regards,
Steve

In 4.12, the simulator will give warnings when attempting to simulate unknown opcodes and instructions not supported by the selected device.

This was partially implemented in 4.11, but is improved in 4.12.

BTW, the use of unsupported instructions should already be caught by the assembler, provided the correct part definition include file is used.

--
Regards,
Roland Kruse
Atmel AVR Tools

The name AVRStudio suggests that it would be an IDE.

To me it is only a visual debugger as I program in C. Even though it has an editor, managing a C based project (I mean the complete cycle from edit to build) is not possible or only possible with makefile/external tool work arounds.

Hence I like to see integration of avr-gcc (and possibly other C compilers) into AVRStudio. Check the competition's MPLab (PIC) as a good example how to integrate 3rd party compiler.

hm

Quote:
Hence I like to see integration of avr-gcc (and possibly other C compilers) into AVRStudio. Check the competition's MPLab (PIC) as a good example how to integrate 3rd party compiler.

Check out Torleif's post a couple of days ago in this forum, titled "Wanted: Testers for avr-gcc plug-in component".
If you're using avr-gcc maybe you'd like to try this out and provide some feedback before we release it publicly with 4.12.

Tore

Open Source !!

/Jesper
http://www.yampp.com
The quick black AVR jumped over the lazy PIC.
What boots up, must come down.

lol

A way of using the master AVR as a gateway between SPI and the CTRL seriel port. Communication to the target could then be made through a terminal window in AVR studio as if it was connected by a normal COM port.
Sort of what Jesper has in his yaap.

Please.

/claus

/claus

A interface, that the studio could be used as a server for gdb, for a better integrating into IDEs...
(like simulavr or simulavrxx)

Also a (scripting) interface to enable "hardware emulation/stimuli"

... and of course linux support....

(would be ok if under "wine")

For ASM builds - provide time stamp and CRC following "Assembly Complete ..."

Pages