Studio 4.09 firmware upgrade

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

AVR STudio 4.09 says I need to upgrade to AVRISP version 0x01.0x0F. I click on OK and it goes through the motions, but then says "Error: no programmer found". When I click on the ISP icon again, I get the same upgrade window. The result is the same if the target is not connected.

If you first tried to do this with the target connected you basically messed up! I think there is a description in the help file on how to fix this, but it includes opening the ATAVRISP and shorting two leads (don't remember which ones).

There's unfortunately a reason why I know this as I had to do this myself :-(

Regards
Paal

The first time I tried it, the target was connected. On later attempts, it was not. Are you saying that it remembers the first attempt and is looking for an excuse to screw up?

palka wrote:
If you first tried to do this with the target connected you basically messed up!

I'm confused. The AVRISP draws power from the target. Doesn't it have to be connected to the target?

Don

It normally gets power from the target. But I put together an alternate power supply that it can plug into.

It is a big problem if the normal procedure messes it up.

If you check the schematics for the ATAVRISP you will see that the pins on the 8535 that are used to program the external device are the ISP programming pins on the 8535. If you have an external chip (target) connected to the ISP you basically have two chips as targets connected to the 1200. The programming of teh 8535 will because of this fail! As the 1200 is depending on the 8535 to start up and run the correct code to start an upgrade, any further attempts to perform an upgrade will fail!
This is why you have to use the short inside the box to fix the problem (this forces the function of the 1200 without the use of the 8535).

Always read the MANUAL before using the products to avoid this kind of problems. AFAIK it is stated in the user manual thet the ISP pins of the ATAVRISP should be unconnected during any upgrade procedures.

Best regards
Paal

Paal,

Actually, I did read the manual (help file) but missed the note.

After reading your post, I got the schematic - I understand your what you're saying and agree.

The note in the AVRISP help file says to remove the device (STK500) or erase the device (custom target). I'm not sure how erasing the device allows the AVRISP 8535 to be reprogrammed without affecting the target AVR.

I will definitely remove the target device before upgrading the AVRISP firmware.

Thanks,
Don

Quote:
I'm not sure how erasing the device allows the AVRISP 8535 to be reprogrammed without affecting the target AVR

An erased - that is "not programmed" - AVR will lock all its pins as high-impedance inputs, thus won't interfere with anything else (like your programmer) driving signal lines which may also be routed to said pins ....

Andreas

I'm a fresh user of a STK500 with a 8515. I got the same message as the person before me. What can I do do fix this? Is there any way to do that at all? I'm not quite sure about what "removing the target" means... I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'd like to know how to be able to update this firmware...

Please help :(

Gudbrand

"Target" in this context refers to the AVR microprocessor central to your to-be-developed design.

AVRISP and STK500 are programming systems capable of programming this 'target'.

The basic difference between AVRISP and STK500 is just that the '500 also provides lots of sockets so the user could build (at least) a part of his design on the STK500 board (like a kind of breadboard).

'Remove the target' if talking about a STK500 means that no AVR (other than the AVR chips actually soldered to the '500) should be plugged into one of those sockets.

Andreas