Studio 4 will not run

Go To Last Post
19 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

I've quite happily been using the 494 version of Studio 4 for some time now.

This morning when I went to use studio 4 after not having used it in a couple of days, it came up and ran but said it could not load any of the plugins.

The only thing I can think of that I did different to my system in the last couple of days was to upgrade my Norton antivirus to version 2007 and then run a full system scan.

I disabled as much Norton's features as a could, uninstalled studio 4, and reinstalled it.

Now when I start it, it shows the flash screen and nothing else. It just goes away. It doesn't even appear to run.

Any ideas on how I can diagnose this? It may have nothing to do with Norton and may be something else entirely.

Last Edited: Fri. Oct 6, 2006 - 10:33 PM

I've noticed that when I have attempted to run studio several times and then look at the process list using task manager, that there are several avrstudio.exe tasks listed.

I totally uninstalled Norton (this leaves my system open to worms and virus) and uninstalled avrstudio again.

I then reinstalled avrstudio and now it comes up, but with the messages about 'error creating plugin' and 'error creating compiler'.

How can I diagnose this?

There are several other users who have posted on this forum with similar problems.

Lars responded to one asking if they had the latest version of IE installed as Studio relies heavily on XML.

Wondering if this in some way was the issue, even though I have the latest version of IE6, I went ahead and installed IE7 Candidate 1.

Same problem...

Error creating Plugin's and Compiler.

Is there some way I can instrument Studio or debug it to see what the issue is?????

Sorry that no one has any answers...including me. I have DL SP4 but not installed yet as I'm getting scared that it will all stop and I can't afford that.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

What, if any, plug-ins had you installed?

Regards,
Steve

• "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."  -- Abraham Lincoln
  • "All right wise guy, where am I?"   -- Daffy Duck
  • "Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley."  -- Big Bob, Pleasantville

I have not explicitly installed any plugins other than those which come with avrstudiosetup.exe and avrstudio412sp4.exe.

In my third posting above you can see that it fails to create 'three' plugins and 'two' compilers. I have no idea what those are, though I assume one is the avrgccplugin.

Just in case someone can come up with an idea, what operating system are you using?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Hi John,

I am running Windows XP, fully up to date. I am also (now) running IE7.

I am pretty much willing to do what it takes to fix this or at least resolve the issue once and for all if someone (from atmel?) will tell me what I need to do to investigate the problem.

I'm not really good at this but perhaps something has been left in the darned registry that should be deleted?? So Studio is looking for something that is now somewhere else? Just a stab in the dark as others seemed to have had something similar in the past, sorry I can't be of much more assistance :(

ps so it is the old Studio that was working and not a new service pack??

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Hi everybody,

This is not a new problem, but it seems to have increased in frequency lately. Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce it and do not know what causes it.

This is a summary of what we think we know about the problem:

- It is only seen on Windows 2000 and XP, never on Windows98 or ME.

- Internet Explorer 7 is not required (it's not even officially released yet, and we haven't tested much against it). Bringing IE6 up to the latest version using Windows Update is sufficient.

- Updating AVR Studio to the latest service pack is not the cause of this problem. The earliest report we have seen of this problem was with AVR Studio 4.07, back in 2003, and I think it it has been seen in all Studio 4 versions ever since. So this is no reason to be afraid of upgrading AVR Studio. If this problem is going to bite you, it will do so regardless.

- The problem sometimes appears immediately after AVR Studio is installed, sometimes at a later time (as here).

- Uninstalling and reinstalling AVR Studio does not solve this problem. Neither does it help to go back to an earlier version (except 3.xx).

- If you normally run AVR Studio without administrative privileges, it may be worth a try to run it as Adminstrator. Some have reported this helps (but it is a workaround, admin privilege is normally not required to run AVR Studio).

- One user has reported that the problem went away after restoring a backup of the registry (backup taken before problem occured).

- A couple of users have reported problem caused by malware/rootkit, see this AVR Freaks thread:
https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

The bottom line is that the problem seems to be caused by conditions outside AVR Studio itself. Most likely some other program has restricted the access to registry entries and/or DLL files that are required by AVR Studio, Both malware and antivirus/security programs are plausible candidates, but we have no specific reason to suspect Norton Antivirus or any other legitimate program.

We are looking into improiving AVR Studio's error reporting when encountering registry/DLL problems, apart from that there is not much we can do.

We are very interested in feedback from users who have encountered and solved this problem (apart from by means of reinstalling Windows, which will work but should be the last resort).

BTW, the two "compilers" Studio reports unable to load are the Assembler plug-in and the GCC plug-in, both are shipped with AVR Studio,

Roland Kruse
Atmel AVR Tools

Last Edited: Mon. Oct 9, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Roland,

Isn't it true to say that if you uninstall Studio it leaves Atmel registry entries intact? I've seen previous advice here that suggested uninstalling Studio and then deleting any Atmel keys and then re-installing (not necessarily for this problem) so maybe you should make available a tool to irradicate only the Studio related keys in the registry ot be used after uninstallation?

Or maybe this is just a complete red herring? - it's just that the entry above maybe suggests this might be the case:

Quote:
- One user has reported that the problem went away after restoring a beckup of the registry (backup taken before problem occured).

Cliff

BeerFizz wrote:
Is there some way I can instrument Studio or debug it to see what the issue is?????
If you or anyone else want to try that, I have some suggestions:

1. Dependency Walker, http://www.dependencywalker.com/ is an excellent tool to monitor DLL activity and potential problems.

2. Regmon from Sysinternal.com, http://www.sysinternals.com/Util... lets you monitor registry activity (warning: it produces enormous amounts of output from AVR Studio). Sysinternals has a lot of other useful tools, you might want to try some of the others, like Process Explorer.

- Roland

Make sure your hard drive is OK. HD feilure makes similar funny things.
I have a Finnish version of XP but it might be something like:
...right click from your HD-> properties-> tools-> errorcheck-> check both options and run it

Regards
heguli

clawson wrote:
Isn't it true to say that if you uninstall Studio it leaves Atmel registry entries intact? I've seen previous advice here that suggested uninstalling Studio and then deleting any Atmel keys and then re-installing (not necessarily for this problem) so maybe you should make available a tool to irradicate only the Studio related keys in the registry ot be used after uninstallation?
Generally, the AVR Studio uninstaller will remove all registry entries created by the installer, except the user preferences if the user selects to keep them during uninstallation.

The reason for the manual delete advise is that this deletion is not always completely fool-proof, if there has been manual installation of components, etc.

clawson wrote:
Or maybe this is just a complete red herring?
No, it's definitely not a red herring, registry problems are our prime suspect. However, the problem is probably not the entries under \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Atmel, but more likely COM object registration that creates cryptic keys under \\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID.

If COM registration fails during installation, you should get an error message from the installer. One theory is that somehow the registration entries get corrupted at a later time. There are many ways to corrupt, one is to change the access permissions to a registry entry used by AVR Studio to deny access to the user running AVR Studio (or all users, including Administrator). As a matter of fact, the only way we were able to reproduce the symptoms of this problem was to do just that, using regedt32. (I don't recommend trying this, it's extremely easy to shoot self.foot).

We have been thinking about writing a script that checks the sanity of all the registry keys and DLLs that Studio depends on, but that is no trivial task, and a bit outside the scope of our primary work here. We have to assume that Studio runs on a working system, there is no way we can imagine all manners in which a Windows system can be broken.

Roland

Hi,

Since I got the email from Roland this morning, I started to investigate possible issues with my system.

Last week I had been having re-direction issues with IE, basically I would click on a link and I would be directed to some other web site. A user on one of the spam site suggested I down load and run a program call hoster, which would recreate my hosts file. This fixed the redirection problem I had been having.

I ran AVG scans and Norton scans and found nothing.

I ran rootkit revealer and it found 2 zero length reg entries with nulls. I queried these on the sysinternals web site and they were harmless. I removed them anyway.

I downloaded AVG Anti-Rootkit Beta and ran that. This found three hidden files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cshdp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmirm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmjej.exe

The same program removed these files and rebooted.

I tried studio again and it worked.

I mention all of these as I stupidly didn't try Studio after each fix and I have no idea what solved the problem. I think as Roland pointed out, Studio runs on a clean functional system, so make sure you check for virus's, rootkits, etc...

If I find additional information, I will post it.

BeerFizz wrote:
I ran AVG scans and Norton scans and found nothing.

This is an important lesson here. By their nature rootkits conceal their files, so you cannot trust programs running on the infected system to find anything wrong - including antivirus programs etc...
BeerFizz wrote:
I ran rootkit revealer and it found 2 zero length reg entries with nulls. I queried these on the sysinternals web site and they were harmless. I removed them anyway.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cshdp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmirm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmjej.exe

Good catch. We don't claim that all instances of this problem with AVR Studio are caused by malware, but doing checks like this should be the first thing to do when things starts behaving strangely.

- Roland

AVR Studio 4 died on me this morning with "error creating plug-in" msgs. Luckily, I found this forum...

Quote:
I also downloaded AVG Anti-Rootkit Beta from http://www.softpedia.com/get/Ant... and found two hidden files:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csigb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\{2302AD5A-82D5-4F0E-A9C8-A1A8577FB02C}.exe
I was a bit concerned about deleting the second file, so I just deleted csigb.exe with AVG Anti-Rootkit. After a reboot, AVR studio 4 is working! This is a huge relief. My MS Office apps had also stopped working due to buffer overflows, but they are working now too.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

- Kirk

Hi,

Did like BeerFizz

>I downloaded AVG Anti-Rootkit Beta and ran that. This >found three hidden files:

>C:\WINDOWS\system32\cshdp.exe
>C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmirm.exe
>C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmjej.exe

>The same program removed these files and rebooted.

>I tried studio again and it worked.

There were also three files but other names.

Johan