Studio 4 Conversion to Studio 6.1.2730 -- Size inconsistency

Go To Last Post
2 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I'm trying to chase a bug in a new project started using Studio 4. Same external Makefile I've used in several projects--it includes a target for invoking avr-size (makefile attached).

The project is well below maximum program and data sizes when compiled with Studio 4, but exceeds both when the project was imported into Studio 6.1 and built. (build output is below).

I saw the threads about the 6.X memory size calculations initially not supporting external memory, but it's just the AtTiny24.

I'm hesitant to just disable the 6.1 size reporting, since maybe my strange bug IS related to some library getting implicitly linked and causing the memory to explode.

Map file is attached also.

Thanks!

Dave Thomas

Quote:
Build started.
Project "camera_receiver.cproj" (default targets):
Target "PreBuildEvent" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(PreBuildEvent)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='').
Target "CoreBuild" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.1\Vs\Compiler.targets" from project "C:\Users\Dave\My Software\E-Con Receiver\trunk\camera_receiver.cproj" (target "Build" depends on it):
Task "RunCompilerTask"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.1\shellUtils\make.exe -C "C:\Users\Dave\My Software\E-Con Receiver\trunk\master" -f "Makefile" all
make: Entering directory `C:/Users/Dave/My Software/E-Con Receiver/trunk/master'
AVR Memory Usage
----------------
Device: attiny24
Program: 622 bytes (30.4% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)
Data: 16 bytes (12.5% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)
EEPROM: 3 bytes (2.3% Full)
(.eeprom)
make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Dave/My Software/E-Con Receiver/trunk/master'
Done executing task "RunCompilerTask".
Task "RunOutputFileVerifyTask"
camera_receiver(0,0): Program Memory Usage : 5238 bytes 255.8 % Full (Memory Overflow)
Data Memory Usage : 279 bytes 218.0 % Full (Memory Overflow)
Done executing task "RunOutputFileVerifyTask" -- FAILED.
Done building target "CoreBuild" in project "camera_receiver.cproj" -- FAILED.
Done building project "camera_receiver.cproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

Total votes: 0

There were a set of objects and elf file in a sibling directory that had the file same names. I think the size calculation was using those instead of where the newly built elf file was located.

I deleted those in the sibling directory--it looks like the 6.1 size calculation isn't done--probably because it didn't find an elf file where it expected it.