STK525 for USB keyboard and mouse emulation?

Go To Last Post
2 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I need to build a controller to emulate a PC/Mac keyboard and mouse. It of course needs to be USB connected and hopefully connect without the need for drivers. Switches will not be in a matrix in the final version to avoid blocking and ghosting issues. Mouse will actually be a trackball and can be quadrature signals. There are going to be a couple more things added, but the output from everything will either be keystrokes or mouse movement/buttons. Is the AT90 the best choice? I already have an STK500 which is why I am interested in the STK525 instead of the USB key device.

I am also researching Cypress PSoC devices because it may get the job done more easily. If there is anyone who has worked with both and has a comment on the choice, please speak up. I'm not terribly familiar with programming either but I do have tools to work with both of them.

Total votes: 0

If I remember correctly, the STK525 is now marked as a mature board, so I wouldn't recommend getting that. Far better for prototyping would be to grab one of the bajillion USB AVR development breakout boards that have sprung up in the last year or so (such as the ones from PJRC, Adafruit or Sparkfun) and use those directly, unless you really want to socket your chip.

Any of the USB AVRs will do what you want, if your requirements are that simple - there's a bunch of LUFA examples to get you started that implement keyboard and mouse functionality:

http://www.lufa-lib.org

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!