STK500 as standalone ISP programmer ???

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi there,

I would like to ask if STK500 could function as a stand alone ISP programmer (without PC connection).

Could I load an automatic functionality somewhere on STK500 (there is an AT45 series serial dataflash on board). Is there any way to load the:

code.hex
eeprom.hex
fuse bits settings
OSCCAL callibration byte FLASH or EEPROM address
lock bits settings

in the STK500 and to program a specific product without PC conectivity ?

Thank you.

Michael.

User of:
IAR Embedded Workbench C/C++ Compiler
Altium Designer

You could only do this by reprogramming the main CPU on the board but your only way to reprogram it is via the 2nd AVR that does the "bootloading" and the usual mechanism for invoking that uses an encrypted .ebn file.

If it was me I'd spend $20 on a Butterfly and load Dean's "ButtLoad" into it.

Thank you.

Michael.

User of:
IAR Embedded Workbench C/C++ Compiler
Altium Designer

Surely you could store the target hex in an AVR mounted on the STK500. For example a mega1284 could hold 126kB of "target" + 2kB to actually implement the programming.

However a CPU + flash/EEPROM would be considerably more convenient. e.g. CPU + dataFlash as in Buttload. Or an Arduino + 24C1024. Or anything + SDCard.

If you happen to own a very old STK500, you may have dataFlash on the board. Most STK500s are unpopulated.

I cannot think of anything that would be as "neat and tidy" as the PicKit2 for full independence.

David.

The PICkit 2 Programmer-To-Go feature is very nice:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloa...

Perhaps something similar could be added to the Dragon, but it wouldn't be as convenient.

Leon Heller G1HSM

Last Edited: Fri. Sep 30, 2011 - 09:43 AM

Quote:

I cannot think of anything that would be as "neat and tidy" as the PicKit2 for full independence.

Well there is the Kanda keyfob programmer for AVRs - but it ain't cheap!

I was totally unaware of those Kanda products. It seems as if the KeyFob is what icarus1 is looking for.

All the same, it does not look or feel as pleasant as the PicKit-2. (And it costs more !)

David.

Quote:

It seems as if the KeyFob is what icarus1 is looking for.

But it doesn't actually seem to offer anything more than Butterfly+Buttload? (apart from a box perhaps?)

Yes. I regard the box as the most important aspect of anything "portable". Especially since it will probably live in a shirt pocket or toolbag.

I would guess that a PIC expert could write the ISP application for a PicKit-2 if they felt so inclined. But you would still need an adapter cable between the SIL socket and a AVR header.

David.

Dean's Buttload can program AVR's without having a PC connection.

edit: Ah, I see that Cliff already suggested it.

A GIF is worth a thousend words   They are called Rosa, Sylvia, Tricia, and Ulyana. You can find them https://www.linuxmint.com/

Dragon broken ? http://aplomb.nl/TechStuff/Dragon/Dragon.html for how-to-fix tips

Quote:
Well there is the Kanda keyfob programmer for AVRs - but it ain't cheap!

But not as expensive as the Epsilon5(AVR-JTAG)! (or the ISP version)

--greg
Still learning, don't shout at me, educate me.
Starting the fire is easy; the hardest part is learning how to keep the flame!