STK500 problem

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello to all!
I have a problem with the STK500, it seem not work..
This morning i tried to test my spi driver using loopback technique. So i have connected the MOSI pin with the MISO pin (respectively PB3 and PB4 using ATmega328p).
After that, the AVR Studio (ver. 6.2) has ceased to connect with the STK500.
I tried to connect the STK500 using my old pc and the original serial cable. In this pc i have installed the AVR Studio 4, but nothing..
In the previous program that i put in the microcontroller, i tested the usart connection, and this worked well with Matlab. After the loopback pin connection, I tried again to use this program, but the serial connection between matlab and the STK500 It does not work anymore. 

Where is the problem?
Please, anyone can help me? 

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Wed. Sep 16, 2015 - 07:01 AM

What happens if you remove the connection between the pins?  The STK500 communicates to the AVR through those pins so shorting them together is not a good idea.

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

Hi jgmdesign, thank you so much for the reply!
Now i have disconnected all from the STK500, and i tried connect with it using avrstudio, this is the message:

Timestamp:	2015-09-15 16:55:08.655
Severity:		ERROR
ComponentId:	20100
StatusCode:	1
ModuleName:	TCF (TCF command: Tool:connect failed.)

Could not establish communication with the tool.

I have burned the STK500?

Last Edited: Tue. Sep 15, 2015 - 03:00 PM
This reply has been marked as the solution. 
Total votes: 1

Are you using an actual serial port or a USB to serial adapter? (just fishing on this)

Studio 4 should certainly see it, and then tell you that you need to load the correct firmware to make the stk500 compatible, same thing with version 6.2.  I would make sure ALL the jumpers on the stk500 are in their factory(DEFAULT) positions, make sure there is nothing in any of the sockets and do not connect the ISP jumper and then see if you can connect.

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Hello jgmdesign, good morning! smiley

Yesterday I tinkered until late at night, but in the end I managed to restore the STK500!
I did the steps you suggested and now everything works!
Thanks a lot!!

PS
However I still need to test my driver SPI. In your opinion, what is the best way to do it?
If I use the technique of loop back, but removing the cable ISP, I have problems on STK500?

BY disconnecting the ISP jumper you can loopback the AVR without having the STK500's interface interfering.

JIm

Thank you so much jgmdesign!!  wink

I'll try tomorrow!