STK500 with JTAGICE mkII - which one does the programming??

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

My mkii didn't come with the board called "STK500 JTAG Adapter" (it plugs into an expand0 on the stk500 and gives two 10 pin headers). Q#1: Is this normal?

Also, it did come with a squid cable and a cable that converts the 10 pin header to a 6 pin which looks like it is setup for a SPROGx connector on the STK500.

Q#2: Assuming I want to try to debug in DW, do I only need to connect it to SPROGx ? Then it will do ISP/DW through that connection?

Q#3: Do I still plug the STK500 serial in to the PC? How does AVR Studio 4 know which to use for programming, STK500 or JTAGICE mkII?

Q#4: Is there a document or tutorial somewhere on using these two together?

Thanks,

Alan

Quote:
Q#1: Is this normal?
Mine came with it so I would say no.
Quote:
did come with a squid cable and a cable that converts the 10 pin header to a 6 pin
Yes.
Quote:
I only need to connect it to SPROGx ? Then it will do ISP/DW through that connection?
You need the FULL 6 pin ISP connecttion to start DW, after that you only need the reset pin for debugging. You will need the FULL 6 pin ISP connecttion again when it is time to turn off DW, which by the way you MUST do from within an active debug session. Otherwise you need HVPP.
Quote:
Do I still plug the STK500 serial in to the PC?
If you are using the JTAG Ice you don't need to as the STK500 become just a test bed.
Quote:
How does AVR Studio 4 know which to use for programming,
During debug the debugger does it all, debug and programming, just use the "build and run" and if you have a succesful buid the code will be downloaded into the chip automatically. When you finish debugging then you can use the JTAG as a normal programmer in which case you select the programmer and programming mode from the programming screen.

You will find a video tutorial on avrtv.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Hi,

Once you are in DW mode, do you have to disconnect the other pins required for ISP? I am assuming the reason they made is so you can is that those pins would be available for the purpose you have assigned them. Will the JTAGICE mkii not care about what they are hooked to once in DW mode, or does everyone begin a debug session and then physically unplug them using the squid cable??

Thanks,

Alan

Quote:
does everyone begin a debug session and then physically unplug them using the squid cable??
You can do it either way. I usually leave the 6 pin header attached during debug.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly