STK500 Firmware Upgrade (Atmel Studios 7) [SOLVED]

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I recently installed AS7 fo my Win10 laptop.  I have not had prior version of Atmel Studio on this laptop.  I have a new USB/Serial cable -- that does not have the "counterfeit chip."  Per Device Manager, it uses FTDI as driver, and in Device Managers it is shown as under "Ports(COM & LPT)-->USB Serial Port (COM6)." 

However, I cannot get AS7 to recognize the STK500 -- it does not show up under "View>Available Tools," nor does it show as an available programmer under "Tools>Device Programming."

So, searching Microchip site and looking over this thread , I imagine that I need to update firmware.  Note, this is an old STK500 that I purchased back in 2010 -- or earlier -- and have not used in many years.  I found this link on Microchip site regarding updating the STK500 firmware.  Note, the paths given on the Microchip site are not present on my laptop, I did find STK500.bin in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\tools\STK500":

I assume that I should I should do (and I have done) the following:

1. Connect STK500
  2. Push the PROGRAM button while turning on the power
  3. Double click Upgrade.exe
  4. After Upgrade.exe runs and verifies, I am instructed to power on/off "the..., and click ok) -- I assume this means to turn the STK500 on and off -- which I have done.

However, Studio 7 still does not "see" the STK500 -- even after a re-start of Atmel Studios 7.

What am I doing wron -- can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Russ

Last Edited: Sun. May 13, 2018 - 12:26 PM

You have to "add" the STK500 to AS7 i.e. which COM port.

A genuine STK500 does not need to be upgraded.   It just needs to know which COM port.

If you have a problem,  come back and I will run through the process step by step.

Note that people have used FTDI USB-RS232 cables from the days of first USB ports.   When devices still used DB9 sockets.

David.

Well...I think I solved my issue.  Under clicking Tools>Add target..." brings up a series of dialogues that add "tool not detectable...":

And now the "Available Tools" window in AS7 shows the STK500:

Russ

david.prentice wrote:

You have to "add" the STK500 to AS7 i.e. which COM port.

A genuine STK500 does not need to be upgraded.   It just needs to know which COM port.

If you have a problem,  come back and I will run through the process step by step.

Note that people have used FTDI USB-RS232 cables from the days of first USB ports.   When devices still used DB9 sockets.

David.

Thanks, David.  I must have been stumbling upon the answer as you were replying. laugh

It had not occurred to me to look under "Add Target...."

Russ

Last Edited: Sun. May 13, 2018 - 12:28 PM

Follow up question:

When AS7 is open, it always shows the STK500 as connected -- even when it is not in fact connected to my laptop?  Is that normal?

Russ

That is normal.    You have told AS7 that a STK500 might be available on COM6.    AS6 can confirm that a Serial port on COM6 exists.

AS7 will not interrogate COM6 unless you specifically ask it to.   e.g. if you select that particular STK500 for programming

Think about it.   Your STK500 is probably sitting on the end of a USB-RS232 cable.    You might normally use that USB-RS232 cable for an old Modem, Printer, Card reader, ...

It would be irritating if AS7 sent garbage to your RS232 device.   e.g. if it interrogated the RS232 automatically.

David.

Thank you.

Yet, it does not show my AVRISP MKII as connected (doesn't show it at all), although it had been prior to the STK500.

Russ

Last Edited: Wed. May 16, 2018 - 10:28 AM

AS7 can interrogate USB devices whenever it wants.
I would expect to see all suitable connected Tools e.g. AVRISP-2, ATMEL-ICE, XPRO, XMINI, ...
But it might filter the Tools according to your Project Device e.g. some might not support UPDI
David.

I did wonder if it might be able to use DTR to determine if there was something "at the end of the wire" and display "connected" accordingly - but it's perhaps hoping for too much.