STK500 failure

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hope you can help me out with this one:

In three different STK500 boards I have been unable to read the signature byte from the attached MCU. Fuses and flash programming are also not available. I've used different MCUs and even my own board connected to the ISP6PIN header. I've tried with two different RS232 cables and with a restart of the computer. What does work, however, is reading and writing the STK500 voltages.

If I set the voltages to 5V and then read signature, it enters programming mode and reads a signature equal to 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF. Different boards to this with different chips. I believe the ISP6PIN cable is connected correctly.

Setting the voltages to 3.3V, it is not able to enter programming mode, even with an atmega16L.

I use version 4.11, build 401 of AVRStudio. My power supply is 9.4VDC into the rectifier with the STK500 board on. Any ideas why this fails repeatedly?

Greetings,
Børge

Lower the STK500 programming frequency? (Ie. is the AVR running at eg 1MHz and programming speed set to more than a quarter of that?)

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Hi Johan,

Now I've set the MCU clock to 1.229MHz and the ISP frequency to 3.947kHz. Same problem. By the way, signature = 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF comes with VTG >= 4.5V. With VTG <= 4.4V I get failed programming mode.

It is so strange that this happens with multiple boards and multiple chips. It also repeats with different power supplies. I replaced the 9.4V stationary power with a 12V battery pack. Same problem still.

Børge

Continuing my quest here... Removed previous version of AVRStudio, rebooted, installed new version and service pack. For some reason it works now. Must have been some spooky setting in my PC. Thanks anyway!

Børge

"By the way, signature = 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF comes with VTG >= 4.5V. With VTG <= 4.4V I get failed programming mode."

Are you sure you had selected "ISP" as programming mode? Because if "Parallel/High Voltage Serial" is selected one would get FF signature, and if Vtg is below 4.5V the STK500 FW will not enter programming mode at all.

Madkow,

that was one of the things I found out I had to change to make it work. Thanks!

Børge

madkow wrote:
"By the way, signature = 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF comes with VTG >= 4.5V. With VTG <= 4.4V I get failed programming mode."

Are you sure you had selected "ISP" as programming mode? Because if "Parallel/High Voltage Serial" is selected one would get FF signature, and if Vtg is below 4.5V the STK500 FW will not enter programming mode at all.