stk500 external ic programming

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

hi there

i am a total noobie to programming of any kind and have selected the avr as my chosen platform i purchased the stk500 starter kit and then produced an add on board which contains a 40 pin zif socket and an iso wafer card slot and wired these to the stk via the 10pinisp header in the hope that i could program these target devices externally the problem is i am unable to erase/program/signature read the atmega8515/at90s8515 using this method but when the ic,s are placed in there onboard sockets all,s ok i thought due to the stk having an onboard isp this would,nt be a problem but cant seem to find the cause i have searched endlessly for a solution but alot of the links refer only to atmels avrisp standalone programmer and there documentation in the user guide only shows isp being used via the onboard sockets have i got it completely wrong.

additionaly when using studio and selecting isp as the programming method is the software then looking for the external avrisp interface or running through the stk500 and using the onboard isp

any assistance welcome
please consider when replying (be gentle) that my learning curve at this moment is a true vertical :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks in advance
mr blonde :shock:

Codevisionavr & Avrstudio 4.18
Easyavr5A-Jtagicemk1

Call me Pedantic, But not after 9.

if Milk_Brilliant
else Codevision_Avrs==Better

The AVRs need a clock source in order to be programed. It may be the internal oscillator, or some external clock source. When you place the AVR in a socket of the STK500, it get the clock from the board.

Probably your AVR is set to use an external or crystal clock, so this is why you can't program it externally.

Check your fuse setting.

Regards,
Alejandro.
http://www.ocam.cl

many thanks i will try this and re-post :lol:

Easyavr5A-Jtagicemk1

if Milk_Brilliant

hi there

yes problem was indeed internal fuse setup i am now able to isp the ic but again only within the sockets provided on board the stk500 i am under the impression i can do the same externally using the 6/10 pin isp headers in a 40pinzif/smartcard socket etc am i wrong to assume this ?.

8) mr blonde

ps many thanks for your assistance

Easyavr5A-Jtagicemk1

if Milk_Brilliant

Yes, it is certainly possible. For good results, you need to re-create the same environment on your target board that the STK500 provides:

-- Connection to all the Vcc pins, including AVcc
-- Connection to all the Gnd pins, including AGnd
-- Proper Vcc level & stability
-- Proper /RESET circuit, able to be pulled low by ISP
-- Proper clock source
-- ISP connections to the proper pins

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

lee

thanks for the info i am getting to grips with the hardware slowly and want to achieve a stable programming enviorument prior to learning languages etc i think the problem with my external attemtps may very well be psu related and so will add a voltage reg and smoothing caps and look at the reset signal in the near future.

i think the stk is very good value for money but would have been even better with an onboard zif but you cant have everthing hence i fabricated an external addon with 40pin zif and iso slot i will look at doing the same using the expander ports at a later date to make the setup a little neater.

thanks again for your replies they are most helpful and aid my progress considerably
god help you when i start to program the wafers for the club entry system HAHA

thanks again
mr blonde 8)

Easyavr5A-Jtagicemk1

if Milk_Brilliant