STK500 connecting issues

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi everyone.
I haven't posted on here in a while but wanted to get back into AVR development again. today i attempted to plug in my STK500 and fire it up. To my disappointment :roll: i was hit with a bunch of probs. Heres what happened...

last time i was programming using my STK500, i had a different laptop, with win XP, now i have a new one with Vista. I also had a USB to serial converter for my lappy, however, i seem to have misplaced that. i went out and purchased a new one today. I installed AVR studio 4.13 and attempted to connect my STK to no avail. I cant get the STK500 to connect all the time, sometimes it does but its not working correctly, it says it cant find the programmer sometimes, then it told me i needed new firmware which was installing right up to the very end when it told me it had failed. i tried loading the stk500.ebn file back onto the stk which worked. But all up im having trouble figuring out the source of the problem. i have searched the forum quite extensively so please dont tell me to go search. any help would be great. let me know if more info is required

Dan
8)

danrulz01 wrote:
But all up im having trouble figuring out the source of the problem.

It's called "Vista" isn't it? ;)

(personally if I was getting a new laptop I'd acutally go with the XP option if it were available)

i think i might run it as a dual boot, with xp and see if that fixes my prob. however, i was under the impression that 4.13 had all the bugs sorted with vista (well according to Atmel's page)

I have had problems with those usb/serial leads before now. might be worth using a different chipset one and the problem might go away. but the same thing, sometimes it would work and sometimes not!

got it working, turns out it was the usb - serial converter. Note to self and others, DONT use "Targus" usb > serial converters with stk500. they dont work

I think it's worth noting that all maybe suspect and shouldn't be ruled out, it might be an artifact of the USB - Serial bridge. What was the chipset of the one that does work?