STK500 and 1K Pullup on Reset

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have some Arduino Nano boards that include a 1K pullup (doh!). This seems to be more than the STK500 can handle (4.7K) and fails to program. These Nano boards also have a manual reset button. Is there any downside to me simply manually depressing the reset button on the Nano to allow for programming with the STK500 while also removing the reset jumper on the STK500 Board?

include a 1K pullup

Did you measure it? Or is it 10K?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Measured and then looked at the schematic and the official design is 1K pullup.

[Warning PDF download] https://www.arduino.cc/en/upload...

I actually have some other knockoff Nano boards where they did use 10K pullup.

10K would be a better choice, as you have noticed some programmers fail with anything below 4K7 (which by the way is what I have always used).

Is the bootloader downloading reliable? The reset cap on DTR may have some problems providing a good reset pulse.

Pressing the reset button, apart from being annoying, may not always be properly synchronized with what the programmer wants to do, I would replace the 1K resistor and COMPLAIN to the manufacturers.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

I've used an Arduino Nano and have had no problem downloading using the bootloader.

The official Arduino Nano schematic shows a 1K pull-up on Reset.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/upload...

jbwiden seems to be using an STK500 for ISP programming, and that fails.

jbwiden seems to be using an STK500 for ISP programming, and that fails.

Correct.

I don't use the bootloader, I assume it would be fine but I don't currently have interest in using it.

I have done some testing now while pushing the reset button, the device id can now be read in Atmel Studio but programming still fails. I then tried using avrdude and it seems to work OK to program the device when pressing the reset button.

I would replace the resistor, but it is part of a small SMD chip resistor array. So not so easy to replace.

Atmel programmers will just assume that you have connected wrongly if they find a strong 1k pullup.
If you want to use ISP, I suggest that you use a USBASP that will drive the Reset pin without complaining.
But seriously. If God gave you a USB cable and a bootloader, why would anyone want to use ISP?
David.

david.prentice wrote:

But seriously. If God gave you a USB cable and a bootloader, why would anyone want to use ISP?

Well, maybe it is time for me to embrace it. I never really considered using the Arduino for anything other than easing the hardware setup for projects. Now to see what is the best procedures for using the bootloader...

jbwiden wrote:
I never really considered using the Arduino for anything other than easing the hardware setup for projects.
How does use of the bootloader to program it preclude any of that? Just because you deliver code using the bootloader does not mean you are tied to using the Arduino IDE or any of its library code or anything like that.

You just use a copy of avrdude.exe and use that to deliver code to the board/chip. There are a gazillion internet tutorials that will tell you how to do that for a Nano or any other Arduino.

I suppose there is an argument to say that to get a copy of avrdude.exe that you know will work for this you could install the Arduino IDE (which comes with a copy) but several 100MB download to get one 40K .exe file could maybe considered a little bit of "over kill"?

clawson wrote:

jbwiden wrote:
I never really considered using the Arduino for anything other than easing the hardware setup for projects.

How does use of the bootloader to program it preclude any of that? Just because you deliver code using the bootloader does not mean you are tied to using the Arduino IDE or any of its library code or anything like that.

Yes, I agree it doesn't. I just had never considered using the bootloader, seems I should have sooner.

Last Edited: Mon. Apr 3, 2017 - 05:38 PM