STK1000 / AVR32 Camera support ?

Go To Last Post
36 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

One of the reasons I got the STK1000 is that some of the marketing literature referred to support for camera modules. Now I can't find that document, and am wondering what kind of camera module I need and how to connect it. Would anyone happen to know?

Here's a quoat of the 'AT32AP700 Preliminary Summary'

"• Image Sensor Interface
– 12-bit Data Interface for CMOS cameras"

Here's a link to same
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resourc...
Still waiting and waiting for my STK1000 so I can't help yet.
JR

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

AFAICS Low res, 8-bit example: http://atmel.com/dyn/products/pr...

Pretty much all CMOS camera chips will be able to interface. It needs to have parallel pixel data in a supported format [1] and the expected sync lines (HSYNC, VSYNC, PCLK). The actual config of the camera module isn't done through the ISI, it's usually done over, eg, I2C so that isn't an issue.

[1] YCbCr4:2:2, RGB8:8:8, RGB5:6:5 are supported by the ISI

S.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the Atmel camera module is a current part, I can't find it for sale.

In general I have trouble finding camera modules that aren't surplus. The reps from Sharp, Sony, and Omnivision all hang up when they hear that the application is only for "up to 50K annual volume"... that's apparently not interesting enough for them. And DigiKey and other catalogs have modules for $30 and up, but that's retail price of the finished product.

Anyway, back to the AVR32 subject, it would be nice to maintain a list of currently available camera modules that have been tested with the STK1000, along with any software that was used for initializing.

I know I'm interested in a list of camera’s and code for the STX1000.
I’m new here so I can’t offer advice as to how to deploy such a link –(new topic?).

But Freaks are the best. Really helpful, you’ll see by Monday afternoon someone will tell you more about the camera interface and how to establish a link and about anything else you’ll need to know as long as you supply them with enough information.
:lol: They’ve been really helpful to me!
JR

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

RayKAvr wrote:
In general I have trouble finding camera modules that aren't surplus. The reps from Sharp, Sony, and Omnivision all hang up when they hear that the application is only for "up to 50K annual volume"... that's apparently not interesting enough for them. And DigiKey and other catalogs have modules for $30 and up, but that's retail price of the finished product.
It's a bugger of a thing, isn't it! Unless you can find a distributor who keeps the units in stock so can split packs, the MOQ is just way out of the range of a lot of manufacturers. You may have to in fact get surplus units. I know here in Aus, Braemac are very good at going out and scouring the gray market for good quality, reliable surplus units. I imagine there'd be similar services offered in your part of the world.
RayKAvr wrote:
Anyway, back to the AVR32 subject, it would be nice to maintain a list of currently available camera modules that have been tested with the STK1000, along with any software that was used for initializing.
Good plan. If it were a thread here it'd probably get lost so a spot on a Wiki seems most appropriate. Since it isn't Linux-specific, avr32linux doesn't seem like the right place. I heard tell that there is an AVRFreaks Wiki for, amongst other things, the AVR32 up though I can't find a link to it. When that goes up that'll probably be the place to make it all happen.

S.

squidgit wrote:
... and the expected sync lines (HSYNC, VSYNC, PCLK)...
The ISI also supports sync via ITU-R BT.656-4 SAV/EAV sync. This reduces pincount as the [HV]sync lines are not required, the sync is encoded in the data stream.

My bad ;)

S.

Thanks squidgit, I did read about the embedded sync, and this makes it even more of a good idea to keep a list of current camera modules (and associated software / settings) that have been successfully tested.

I found that DigiKey and some other distributors stock some camera "development kits", but they seem specific to particular product families and over $1000 each.

Not a big problem if you get the one kit that's guaranteed to work, but very annoying if you keep trying things and find incompatibilities after weeks of playing with initialization code.

Having a known good starting point would accelerate products to the market.

If the AVR32 team ever runs out of things to do (haha!) I'd vote for adding a camera module test suite... with video capture, MPEG4 encoding, decoding, and playback on the LCD.

well its on my list.
I'm looking at a nice micron sensor.

Plan for the camera is

av32/256Meg DRAM, and a MicroSD, USB2 Slave
USB Powered.

A Super Smart Web cam.

Going to be interesting, since it looks like I have to do the driver from scratch for v4l2

Planning on using the "gadget" driver so the camera can come up easy when plugged into pc or linux system.

glenn.west@aarcorp.com wrote:
well its on my list.
I'm looking at a nice micron sensor.
What's MOQ on this sensor? Have you actually got one connected or is this a soon-to-be thing?

S.

qty 1 via digikey.

I've worked out the design already.
Should be going to board in a couple of weeks.

I'm a "eval" card with USB host, and a camaera module as well on the same turn.

Only thing I need to figure out is lens.

looks like micro is pretty good in support. Just a little concerned about the "timing", they both "read" close with some terminology difference.
I think there is enough "lea-way" in the command set(i2c-twi) to get the sensor to talk to the avr32 without the need for a cpld or fpga

For my apps I need at least 3, and would like to go as high as 10megapixel. So the "tiny" sensors that were mentioned dont cut it.

bump for old thread, sorry, but FWIW Semiconductor Insights ( http://www.semiconductor.com ) have a lot of reviews of CMOS image sensors up at the moment including the Most Innovative Image Sensor being given to the Cypress IM103. I mention this because I have had some success getting small quantities from Cypress in the past. Best of luck to you all :)

S.

I had good luck getting an Omnivision eval board through an All American sales rep. They were very responsive with information and had the board to me within a few days. I did have to pay, of course, but it wasn't terribly expensive - came with the camera module mounted on 0.1" header board and a usb host adapter board it would plug into. The camera module was part number OV2630CSP. They knew I was looking at very small quantities.

Thanks for the info. I take it that you tried the OV2630CSP on the AVR32, so I'll order one too. I suppose I need a blank PCI type card to get to the ISI signals since there doesn't seem to be another connector, or did I overlook something?

I haven't actually had time to try it on the AVR32 so beware before you go there! I don't see why it wouldn't work though - that was the original intent.

I'm not sure where the signals come out on the AVR dev board - think it's off the headers rather than the PCI connector.

New Wiki knows all! https://www.avrfreaks.net/wiki/in...

It only comes out on the PCI header.

S.

Ahhh, well that makes it easier and harder! Harder to just quickly connect it, but easier to make something more real. PCB with PCI connector and Omnivision header would certainly be easy, although somewhat useless longer term :)

Indeed,yes. However, there are simple boards such as https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p... in to which you just solder headers. Best of both worlds!

S.

Ahh - thanks! Have sent them some mail. Will certainly make initial prototyping much simpler.

Hey,

Quick note for the camera interface: since it can support BT.656 data, in a pinch you can use any NTSC camera too. Then use one of the many all-in-one chips which do the analog --> digital conversion. Such a device would be the TVP5150A.

Regards,

-Colin

Thanks Colin.

In my particular case, it turns out that the whole focus (pun intended) of my project is to get away from the limitations and conversion of NTSC.

For my project, the end result isn't to get video into the AVR32. The AVR32 is only there to transfer the video data, and the end result is to get the best image data that the sensor can provide.

Interesting what happens when you preview this on a PC. If there is no conversion or resampling of image data, suddenly you notice a lot of dead pixels in the image sensor. That's not good, but at least you get the reassurance that the image data wasn't "smoothed" out by some conversion or resampling process.

I'll be playing with both Sharp CCD and Omnivision CMOS modules. I might wait till the BSP2.0 is officially released and non-beta before doing serious development.

Does anybody know if it's even possible to use a camera under linux, I can't find any mention of camera support in the kernel

I may be missing something (e.g. it's been there from the start, or it's not required), but I've never dealt with the AVR32 and Linux (on embedded devices at least) before.

Don't surpose someone could fill me in on the current status of camera support in linux for this chip.

Oh, and sorry to thread jack!

There is no support for the AVR32 ISI in the Kernel yet. I imagine it will be written as a Video4Linux(2?) driver when it gets written. Video4Linux is a complete API for both Kernel and userland work with video streams so yes, there is generic video and camera support in the kernel, just not any ISI-specific stuff yet. AFAIK at least.

-S.

AFAICT the ISI driver ended up as a v4l2 driver, I think avr32 support can give out the driver :)

Hans-Christian

Would be excellent if this can be added to the non-beta BSP release. I'm very interested in this but can't afford the time to sort out beta release issues.

What I would be looking for is:

1) List of known working camera modules, with hopefully at least one that is in current production and can be purchased somewhere other than surplus.

2) Schematic showing exactly how it was hooked up to the STK1000.

3) Software that can capture video to a file

4) Software that can play the captured video (Mplayer?)

5) Software that can stream video from camera to the LCD.

That would be a great starting point for AVR32 camera support.

Oh, and while I'm busy with wishlist items I've got one more. Would be totally trivial for Atmel to do and would probably save most ATSTK1000 customers and AVR32 evaluators some time, effort and money: How about an almost blank prototyping board that plugs into the PCI slot and has connectors for important groups of signals (like ISI). In fact, would be great if future revisions of the ATSTK1000 had that included.

Take a look at the board squidgit mentioned a while back:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

I got one last week, just haven't had time to do anything with it.

Slacker, thanks again for the tip. If it was in the US I would have ordered it already. Maybe Atmel will also see the value in including such a board with the kit.

actually i'll make it even easier for you.
How about a avr32, micro-sd, usb-2 device, and a kodak 5 megapixel sensor ready to plus in and use. :)

Comes up as a "ehternet" device, and you can telnet and go.

Sounds good, when can we expect to see 'em and at what price point?

-S.

Wow, can't believe how long it took for me to get the camera modules I needed.

But now I have camera modules that should be compatible with the AVR 32 (STK1000) and the old questions have come up again. Is there a board I can easily order in USA to establish the electrical connections or do I have to design a board myself using the PCI connector layout ?

And when I have it all connected, is there any software for the AVR32 that takes input from a camera and shows it on the LCD, with or without compression?

Thanks!

There's this from here is Aus: https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?m... though it'd only take a few days to get over to you there.

As for software, there is a v4l2 driver for the ISI which is available from avr32@atmel.com (I don't think it's distributed widely yet) but I don't know of any pre-done software to turn this around and write it to the framebuffer. Shouldn't be too tricky though, the v4l2 userspace interface is well documented and it should be a simple memcpy to an mmap'ed /dev/fb0 to get it to the screen. I haven't seen the v4l2 ISI driver yet to know whether it supports compression or scaling, you might have to do this in userspace too.

For a good v4l2 overview there is actually a series of articles on www.lwn.net .

-S.

Actually Atmel has an STK1000 prototype board although it may not be commonly available yet. I have an early version which has some layout bugs. I understand that Atmel is currently revising the layout and that the updated version will be available soon if not already.

Attachment(s): 

Thank you! If it's not too late to supply some feedback for the folks laying out the board:

Please break out the camera interface with labelled pins etc! And would be extra super special if that was tested with at least one common (currently in production) camera module.

I know, I know. So may different requirements, so little time. But the camera interface was one of the advertised features for the STK1000 and the AVR32.

Also thanks about the reminder for the aussie board, I already have one on order.

I happened across a 640x480 sensor that's sold for hobbyist use (quantity 1 is fine) ... see http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=637 and a breakout board is also available. The sensor is a MagnaChip HV7131GP, spec sheet easy enough to find albeit not from that webpage.

Seems that should be easy to hook up using one of the 4:2:2 YCbCr modes. However the current Atmel ISI driver would need to learn that there can be more than one type of sensor, and grow an "only use 8 data bits" mux option.