STK-500 ok Dragon NO

Go To Last Post
13 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I just received a new Dragon, installed and used the upgrade firmware. Everything looked good.
However, I can not get the Dragon to connect using ISP mode with a Tiny12 or Tiny85.
Both of the Tiny devices do connect and program just fine when I use a STK-500 in ISP mode.

D0 I have a defective Dragon, it is right out of the box (from Mouser),

I am using AS4. Is there something I am doing wrong. I have used the dragon in ISP
mode in the past. When it failed, I ordered this one I am now trying to get to work.

I'll believe corporations
are people when Texas executes one.

If your old Dragon blew up, you probably inadvertently applied a high voltage.

Have you connected to the same board that killed the old Dragon ?

Do you have a good 6-way ribbon cable ?

If the chip is in the STK500, just put the 6-way ribbon from SPROG1 (blue) to the Dragon ISP header.

Note that you should remove the RESET jumper from the STK500 before you use debugWIRE.

David.

Edit. Corrected the 6-pin socket number. (I had nonsense)

Last Edited: Sun. Jul 8, 2012 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
Have you connected to the same board that killed the old Dragon ?

I am using a Olimex 8 pin prototype board.
It uses a 10 pin connection for ISP programming. I used the STK-500 to verify that I have a 'good' processor. Everything works using the STK-500.

Quote:

Do you have a good 6-way ribbon cable ?

I have never had a problem with the cable. It is a 6 pin to 10 pin adapter and has worked with no problems . I will take another look and ring out the connections.
See update at the end of post.
Quote:

If the chip is in the STK500, just put the 6-way ribbon from SKT3000D3 to the Dragon ISP header.

I am not sure what I need to do using this setup? That socket is connected to the ISP6PIN connector. Does that mean that in that setup I would be using to connect to a device mounted on board the STK-500 and then set up AS4 to use the Dragon? Would I also disconnect the STK serial port from the PC?
Quote:

Note that you should remove the RESET jumper from the STK500 before you use debugWIRE.

I am not using the debugWIRE mode.

UPDATE: I swapped the 6 pin connector and now it works!
So, now perhaps I have a backup Dragon, that would be great.

I am still interested in the procedure you outlined above about placing the chip on the STK and then connecting to the Dragon.
Can you elaborate on that.
And, thanks a million, I should know better than not go through a process of elimination to verify (when possible) individual assemblies such as the cables. 8)

Like I said. just put the 6-way ribbon from blue SPROG1 to the Dragon ISP header.

Instead of selecting STK500 for programming, choose Dragon.

You can use all the STK500 facilities in the normal way. e.g. CLOCK, VTGT, AVREF, SPARE_RS232, ...

Obviously there is little advantage in using the Dragon for ISP.
For a debugWire chip, remove the RESET jumper.
For a JTAG chip, connect to the JTAG adapter on the EXPAND0 header socket.

It appears that none of the online Help shows photos of Dragon+STK500. However it does show Dragon+STK600. It does have text about the STK500:

Quote:
If using this connection from AVR Dragon on a STK500, be sure to detach the RESET jumper on the STK500. And connect to the correct ISP header for the actual AVR device, guided by the colour code in the STK500 silk-print.

Obviously once the STK500 has set CLOCK, Vtarget, ... you can remove the CTRL RS232 cable. Personally, I have USB-RS232 cables permanently on both CTRL and SPARE DB9.

David.

Edit. Corrected the 6-pin socket number. (I had nonsense)

Last Edited: Sun. Jul 8, 2012 - 06:36 AM

Yes, I have several USB-RS-232 adapters. When
I ordered a laptop , I had to pay a little extra for a 'real' RS-232 port.

Using the STK as a prototype as you posted is an interesting concept. As you mentioned, it has all of the basic things to get the chip ticking.

It turns out that the Dragon was indeed defective. But, I also had a defective 6 pin cable , and it my be that the 10 pin cable is a problem. I was pleased that I might end up with a backup Dragon, but I am still having some issues with it. Think I am going to just order a double set of the 6 and 10 pin ribbon cables.

But I still like the Dragon for ISP work, it doesn't take up as much space as the STK.

I don't think I can afford the newer STK-600 and the different plug-ins required for the different devices. As a hobbyist primarily, I like to evaluate different AVR's. I have not used the Dragon much in the debug mode, but I know it might be a way to just step through the code and not have to simulate.

I did copy and save your post on using the STK-500 teamed up with the Dragon for debugging and JTAG debugging.

I would never spend money on a STK600.

The Dragon might be smaller on the desk, but you still need a plastic case of some description. And its main purpose is debugging. Forget about any other 'features'. Your STK500 is far easier to use and is robust.

David.

Quote:
Your STK500 is far easier to use and is robust.

Except when you want to use an 8 pin device. :!:

I do agree, it is robust! I have an extra on hand. I think some years ago DigiKey had a special price for it.

Sad tale, Atmel is discontinuing the product. :(

Like you, I would never spend the money for the 600 and all those darn modules required.

I do like the idea of teaming up the STK with the Dragon. Then I might not need to buy all of those prototype boards.

Thanks David for your insight.

Quote:
Except when you want to use an 8 pin device.

You only need the RST jumper wire. Most 8-pin apps use internal RC clock.

Quote:
Sad tale, Atmel is discontinuing the product.

Most distributors still have stock.

Quote:
Then I might not need to buy all of those prototype boards.

Dev boards with onboard hardware / chips / sockets can be useful. Especially for TQFP AVRs.

You just use whichever arrangement is more convenient.

Sorry about my earlier posts quoting a completely wrong STK500 header number. I hope I did not confuse you too much !

David.

Quote:
You only need the RST jumper wire. Most 8-pin apps use internal RC clock.

To accomplish HVSP I had to jumper more than that. See:
http://www.robotroom.com/Atmel-ATtiny-STK500-Programming-4.html

BTW, this is a good link to visualize the jumper settings, nice size color graphics.

Why would anyone ever want HVSP ?

If you develop on a Tiny with more than 8 legs, you never need RSTDISBL.
Except when you burn the final fully debugged program.

David.

Quote:
Why would anyone ever want HVSP ?

If you decide to use the RESET pin for I/O or
rhe fuse settings are incorrect.

I fear you missed David's point. He said if you DEVELOP with a tiny that has more than 8 pins you don't need to set RSTDISBL and mess with HVSP. Once you have finished developing you can then put the code into the <=8 pin chip and finally use ISP to enable its RSTDISBL. No HVSP need be involved.

If you do use HVSP you either have to design your circuit so it won't mind having 12V applied to _RESET or you have to make the chip "liftable" so that for each programming cycle it can be lifted from the board and put in a programmer where the 12V thing doesn't matter.

Quote:
I fear you missed David's point.

I fear you are correct. I didn't catch the
Tiny with > 8 pins. :oops: