STK 500 error entering programming mode?

Go To Last Post
18 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

hello!!!i have a problem!!saddenly i cant programming the tiny2313.everything its look ok but when i try to download the program to tiny with codevision ,runs an error "chip signature mishmach.read:byte=00h byte1=3dh byte2=00h must be:byte0=1eh byte1=91h byte2=0ah" or "STK 500 ERROR ENTERING PROGRAMMING MODE" does anyone have any idea what does message means?

[thread tile edited to something more sensible]

1. Try lowering Your ISP programming frequency.
2. Did You "mess with the fuses", especially the CKSEL fuses?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

how can i do this?and idont select the " program fuse bit(S)"

Last Edited: Tue. Apr 4, 2006 - 05:01 PM

Oh, sorry, I just re-read Your post and it looks like You are not using AVR Studio to program Your AVR. (I erroneously assumed that You where using AVR Studio to program the AVR. Does Codevision have it's own programming s/w built in?)

The secon question still stands: Did You play around with the CKSEL fuses?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

no i don't play with the fuses all is unselected.about the first qestion i dont understandwhat do you mean with "Does Codevision have it's own programming s/w built in")

Johan,

Yes, the Codevision Compiler has its own built in programming software.

kostantinos,

Check all of your connections. If you haven't messed with the fuses, it should work. Has it worked previously
or is this the first time you are programming the chip. If first time, you may need to lower the programming speed.

Randy

i have programmed in the past many avr (tiny 2313)with the same program wihtout any problem this strange message appeard suddenly .but how can i check the programming speed ?

please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a spare tiny2313, I would try it on the other one to make sure it's not this particular chip's problem. Also, make sure the configurations on your STK 500 is correct, depending on how you're programming your device (JTAG? ISP?).

Read this to check:atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc1925.pdf

Other things to try is to actually install AVR studios 4.12 (free) here
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=2725
to see if it's the host software side problem.

From AVR studios, you can check the clock frequency of your STK500, assuming that you are connecting to the board through a serial port (that's the only way i know of).

i buy one ...i try..but nothing....i buy one again but nothing ...i buy one again but nothing!!!!so the problem is not the tiny.maybe the problem is the codvison.(i use isp)

Sure, always blame the software.

An AVR needs proper power. What is your Vcc level?
An AVR needs a proper clock, and new AVRs run at 1MHz. Have you slowed down the programming speed as suggested?
To ISP an AVR, a proper circuit on the /RESET pin is needed. What do you have?
Is this a new board? Has any chip worked in it before? Or are you using a dev board such as STK500?
What kind of programming hardware is being used--STK500? ATAVRISP? Parallel-port dongle? Has the exact setup worked before? On the same PC?
Can you read the chip signature with AVRStudio or some other utility?

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

I'm having the same problem trying to program the at90pwm3 in qfn package. I dont have the solution, but I'm very interested in this thread in case somebody else does. I use codevision and get the same error (with the chip spead set to 8mhz in the programming dialog). If i set it to 1 mhz, I get a different error stating that the lock bits are set. I also tried in AVRstudio. Still get the same chip signature mismatch. I tried every possible programmer speed (using the stk500). One clue though- If you keep trying, every now and again the chip comes up with the correct signature (one out of every 10 or 20 times maybe?). Anyway, I wish I could offer an answer, but i'm in the same boat you are. any help would be appreciated.

thenks for your help i find the problem.just uninstall and instal again the software ,so easy!!!!

I had the same problem: I got the "Chip signature mismatch" error.
The post above from Theusch solved it!
The default clock was set to 1 MHz in the chip, and Codevision assumed 4 MHz. Consequently the ISP clock was set too high, and ISP didn't work.
Adjusting the clock speed down to 1 MHz in Codevisions prog. window made all my worries go away.

Thanks Theusch!

I just had this same problem yesterday, and I can't fix it. I have tried everything that has been posted in all the blogs that I could find but nothing. Any ideas anyone can give me will be appreciated greatly.

I'm using an ATmega32L with the STK500 board and programming in CodeVisionAVR. I have looked at the STK500 manual to reset the jumpers to default and changed the clock to 1Mhz on CodeVision and nothing.

When I used different new chips the first time I would load a programm it would give me the "Chip signature mismatch" error. Then once I set the clock to 1Mhz it would load "Flash erasure checking" then nothing would happen afterwards. Then when I tried loading a programm again back to "STK500 Error...Mode"

I have been working on this all day and I finally gave up for today hopefully tomorrow you guys will have some ideas for me :)

If the mega32 is in the STK500 socket, make sure that the STK500 clock is set to 3.68MHz.

In the CodeVision programmer dialog, set SCK to 230400.

David.

How do I make sure that the STK500 clock is set to 3.68MHz?

I went to the Code Generation box in Codevision and set my ATmega32L chip to 3.68MHz then I set the SCK to 230400 in the programing box in Codevision. Is this what you meant?

Well I got the same error :/ "STK500 error...mode"

our teacher showed us the way to solve this, which is pretty straight forward and not exactly mentioned here.
(at least not that clear.)

Im using codevision with STK500 and the chip is ATMEGA16.

If error occur do the following:

1: Open the debugger. Tools -> Debugger
2: If a dialog appears, cancel it.
3: Make sure the STK500 toolbar is shown. View->Toolbars->STK500
4: click the "AVR"-chip icon.
5: choose "Board" in top.
6: Change STK500 Osc. to 3.686Mhz
7: Click "Read" then click "Write"
8: Click "Write Voltages"
9: Close window. Close AVR studio
10: Build/Program in Codevision! :))

I know its late and maybe not needed... BUT I found the post and others might be looking like I was.

Enjoy!