stepper driver L298 and l297 vs DRV8825 ???

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello everyone

left is A4988  and right is DRV8825

File:Stepper drivers a4988 drv8825 3a.jpg

DRV8825 promises a max current of 2.8A peak and 1.5 per phase

you know these are really cheap and small drivers that even they do micro stepping!!

on the other hand  the combination of l298 and l297 can be expensive if used in smd forexample l298p smd  package
and they promise 2 Amps
yeah l297 doesn't have microstepping uless you use l298 alone and use  a micro processor along with it for micro stepping

here is the circuit of l298 and l297 in l297 data sheet as you have noticed it has lots of components like shotcky Diodes, high watt, Rsenses
schematic
 what is the diffrence between these stepper drivers that i'm not noticing

I don't need a Handkerchief; i have no more tear to shed anymore - Solid Snake

The l297/8 combination is from the late 80's. The DRV is much later technology - most likely using mosfets whereas the l298 is bipolar, so this means the DRV will have much less loss and won't get as hot.

The values in datasheets aren't 'promises', so scratch that idea.

Kartman wrote:

The l297/8 combination is from the late 80's. The DRV is much later technology - most likely using mosfets whereas the l298 is bipolar, so this means the DRV will have much less loss and won't get as hot.

The values in datasheets aren't 'promises', so scratch that idea.

If DRV is better then why is it not as common as L298/97

and i also cannot find the IC alone

there are some modules out there but i like to have the IC and build my on driver

Why is it not as common? Probably because of it's package - try hand soldering it with its heat spreader pad. Besides, not everyone wants a high tech microstepping driver.

Digikey list the drv8825.

You can build your own if you like and the L298 is about $1 a piece from Ali.

However for $1.5 you have a L298 with the diodes and stuff so why bother building it yourself?

The only reason the L298 is "common" is probably because old habits die hard in the hobby market, and hobbyists copy from other hobbyists.

I find it hard to imagine L298 is still used outside the hobby market.

Modules with the DRV8825 and such are also about the price (& size :) of a postage stamp.

Therefore I want to advise you to just use those modules and spend your time on more interesting stuff.

Think about it. Where do your interests lie?

If your interested in more general motor controllers the link below could be a nice start.

The board has nothing special, just 3 half bridges with MOSFet's, Fet drivers and a bit of logic but it provides lots of space for experimentation.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/...

Doing magic with a USD 7 Logic Analyser: https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment/2421756#comment-2421756

Bunch of old projects with AVR's: http://www.hoevendesign.com

Thank you everyone I got my answer
most of times i used L298 and l297 but these modules are great and small so why bother making one when there is already plenty
TIB 6600

DRV8825 and ...

thank you avr freaks