State of AVR debugging on Linux 2020

Go To Last Post
12 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have been using an Arduino Uno as an ISP programmer for 8-bit AVRs with GCC and AVRDUDE and it's been working great. I am getting to the point of wanting to do some debugging on hardware. I want to buy an ATMEL ICE but am not sure if it's going to work with my setup. I understand the setup would look something like this:

AVR <-> ATMEL ICE <-> AVaRICE <-> GDB <- main.elf

AVaRICE appears to be dead and as of last version doesn't seem to officially support ATMEL ICE. Presumably because it didn't exist. However there are some posts here and there about it working.

Specifically, I am asking will AVaRICE talk to ATMEL ICE? Would like to know before I buy one.

Generally, I am asking what is the state of AVR Linux development and is there a newer/better alternative to debug?

What you need is the multi-platform MPLABX.

The whole reason for Microchip concentrating on making the transition for AVR from AS7 to MPLABX appears to be about giving a quality debug IDE for all platforms, not just Windows.

kyle_goodwin wrote:
Generally, I am asking what is the state of AVR Linux development and is there a newer/better alternative to debug?

AS Cliff wrote.  MPLABX and the PICKIT4 or SNAP!.  I think the ICE is compatible but do not hold me to that.

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

Thanks guys, I looked at MPLABX's documentation and didn't see anything about ATMEL ICE. I didn't realize Snap works with AVR and SAM and it's dirt cheap too.

I suppose it's greedy to hope for a CLI tool for Snap? I like my text editor terminal setup. Not thrilled about using IDEs.

Total votes: 3

MPLAB supports Atmel-ICE as well... If you want command line, MPLAB has a debugging cli called mdb

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

meolsen wrote:

If you want command line, MPLAB has a debugging cli called mdb

Release Notes for MDB Command Line Interface MPLAB® X IDE v5.35 wrote:

Currently, MDB supports only PIC devices. If the last time you used your MPLAB PICkit 4 or Snap with an Atmel device, MDB will not find your tool. In this case, you need to use a PIC device in MPLAB IDE, then MDB will find your tool.

Is this not accurate? The docs also do not list the ATMEL ICE as compatible. Is it considered a "Licensed third party debugger"?

Is this not accurate? The docs also do not list the ATMEL ICE as compatible. Is it considered a "Licensed third party debugger"?

Maybe... I would just try instead of reading :)

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

I guess my excuse of not wanting to buy hardware that won't work is pretty flimsy with the price of the Snap what is it. I'll order one tonight.

But, why not try with an Atmel-ICE, if you already have it?

meolsen wrote:
But, why not try with an Atmel-ICE, if you already have it?

I don't have an ICE. I'm using an old Arduino as a programmer. I want to buy something capable of debugging but didn't want to spend $150 on something that doesn't work with any software tools I'm using and only replaces the programming functionality I already have for free. But a $20 Snap I can buy and not feel too bad about if it only ends up replacing my Arduino as a simple programmer.

Last Edited: Thu. Apr 2, 2020 - 03:50 PM

Ah, sorry :-)

Hi all,

I know this is a fairly old thread, but just thought I'd let you know that you can now use Bloom to debug AVR microcontrollers on Linux. I posted a new thread on this yesterday. Bloom supports most of Microchip's debug tools on sale today, and you can use any IDE you wish, provided it supports remote GDB debugging. Or if you prefer using the GDB CLI, that's also fine. As for targets, Bloom supports most AVR 8-bit targets on sale today. But if you do happen to find one not supported by Bloom, feel free to raise an issue.

See the Bloom website for more: https://bloom.oscillate.io

Nav