Speaking of STK500

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have a very old STK-500 (sticker says 2002!  It has an AT90S8535 as the main CPU)

Is there any hope of getting this to talk to ... anything?

My understanding so far is that if it's running STK500v1 firmware (which is likely), I'd need to run AVR Studio 4.x to upgrade it to at least STK500v2, and thereafter it should be recognizable by things up to MS7, as long as it's added manually.

But so far, my attempts to get it recognized have not been successful at all.  AS4.18 says "can't connect", the stk500 upgrade utility say "not found."

Now, these attempts HAVE involved VBox Windows XP images of perhaps questionable vintage, and a Prolific USB/Serial converter (IBM - so probably authentic) that needed special "older drivers" to be recognized as usable, and - you know: rs232 cabling is involved, so there is quite a lot that could go wrong.  The lights behave "as expected" (different when actuating the PROGRAM button during poweron.)

The AT90S1200 should "always" be able to re-program the AT90S8535, right?  Should I try to dig up a real XP-or-earlier PC with a real RS232 port, or just give up?

Did anyone ever write "alternative" STK500 firmware, or figure out how to talk to the 90S1200 to reprogram the 8535?

I don't suppose that Microchip has gotten generous and open-sourced the code for such legacy products?

From memory,   AS4.x expects any upgrade etc to be on COM1-COM4.

Your RS232-USB cable should be ok if you assign it to e.g. COM4

I have used several FTDI RS232-USB cables with STK500.

I seem to remember downgrading my 2007 STK500 to STK500v1

And then using AS4.x to upgrade to STK500v2

Of course I have 2007 hardware.   i.e. no Flash chip.

I suggest that you have "anther go".

If that fails I will see if I can repeat the downgrade, upgrade.

David.

Is it possible to see if the 1200 is responding at all?

I did manage a loopback via the stk-end I’d the rs232 cable, so at least the prolific driver seems to be working...

I would expect any respectable USB-RS232 cable to work with the STK500.    After all they work with other applications.

An USB-RS232 cable is just like a USB-UART adapter.   Just with a MAX232 at each end of the physical cable.

I would start by testing the STK500 with stk500v1 format e.g. Arduino (or avrdude)

If the STK500 hardware is 100% you can upgrade to v2 firmware.

It always amazes me that STK500 is still available.    Farnell UK have 18 in stock !!

David.

Last Edited: Sun. Apr 11, 2021 - 10:22 AM

westfw wrote:
these attempts HAVE involved VBox Windows XP images of perhaps questionable vintage,
XP VHD can run on hypervisors.

Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10 | Tutorials

Proxmox VE - Virtualization Management Platform (Debian, KVM)

System Requirements - Proxmox VE

Windows XP Guest Notes - Proxmox VE

USB Devices in Virtual Machines - Proxmox VE

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

I have a very old STK-500 (sticker says 2002!

The sticker on mine says 2001.10 (October 2001??) 

a Prolific USB/Serial converter

In the past Prolific chips were cloned, you may be one of the lucky one but I would try a different brand or a REAL RS232 port.

And of course you are using the correct RS232 port on the STK500 right?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly