sources of GPS module with MTK3339 chipset

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I'm looking to get a few GPS modules with a MTK3339 chipset. Adafruit sells these, but haven't been in stock for a while ('in-stock in 5-10days' for quite a while).

Are there any other sellers of a module of this type? (~$30 or less)

It looks like they can be purchased via Aliexpress (about $20ea for 4 with faster shipping), but unless I can get a credit card virtual number generated (the cc tools to do this don't seem to be working at the moment), I will probably not take the chance in using my normal number.

Maybe there are other good (smallish,~$30 or less) modules commonly available that could be recommended? (I do want the 10hz update rate the MTK3339 has).

Besides of the MTK based modules, there are some new STA8088A chip based modules such as e.g. EB-600. Not only it has a 10 Hz update rate but it also features an additional GLONASS constellation processing making it very promising.

I was very happy with its pin-to-pin compatible GPS only predecessor EB-500 so I expect the EB-600 should not be worse.

Warning: Grumpy Old Chuff. Reading this post may severely damage your mental health.

Fastrax UP500

Fastrax- looks like they are available from Mouser, and at a reasonable price- looks like a very good option. Thanks. (UP501 looks good- $31, 2.54mm pinouts, 10hz)

I'm not sure why, but I never even searched Mouser for these type of modules.

The UP500 is 5 Hz, the newer UP501 is 10 Hz and has some useful additions.

Warning: Grumpy Old Chuff. Reading this post may severely damage your mental health.

...and also the UC530, which is about the equivalent of the original one I was looking for (MTK3339 based). I'll probably go with the UP501, which looks easier to get going quickly.

Once I figure out things that I don't know enough about, it looks like I can go different directions with this one company, and with a good supplier I don't have to go looking in scary parts of the internet to get them.

Thanks for the info. Was good.

Aliexpress don't accept Paypal, but you buy aliexpress items from same seller with discount price and Paypal from compare.beltal.com.