[solved twice] Studio 4.18 SP3 crashing after simulation

Go To Last Post
21 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

OK folks, my Studio constantly crashes on me.

I've been through some old threads but none seem relly to fit. I have a nagging feeling that I've had this problem before, but can't locate any previous posts/threads on it. Here goes:

I have Studio 4.18, with SP3 installed. Every time I stop simulation (Simulator 2) Studio crashes.

It's been like this for a while, and I haven't suffered too much missing the Simulator, but today I i) needed it and ii) decided that it was time to fix it anyway. Now it irritates me...

Details from the crash:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	AVRStudio.exe
  Application Version:	4.18.0.685
  Application Timestamp:	4c358cc9
  Fault Module Name:	ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version:	6.0.6002.18005
  Fault Module Timestamp:	49e03821
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00039858
  OS Version:	6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6
  Locale ID:	1053
  Additional Information 1:	c453
  Additional Information 2:	abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9
  Additional Information 3:	c453
  Additional Information 4:	abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9

One worrying thing is this: Just for checks, I tried to run SP1 and SP2. They both report, correctly, that Studio is a newer version, but erroneously, that it is 4.18.715 .

Both the crash info and looking at the properties of Studio reports 4.18.685

Any ideas?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Last Edited: Sat. Dec 25, 2010 - 07:52 PM

But SP3 is build 715?

Attachment(s): 

OK I take that back - if you right click avrstudio.exe in explorer the properties say...

Attachment(s): 

Quote:

But SP3 is build 715?

Who knows? Atmel seems to have a habit of building and versioning AVR Studio on the night after the office party. :wink:

As I said:
- Looking at the properties of the installed AVR Studio with SP3 the build is 685.
- Trying to run SP3 again it reports that AVR Studio is at build 715.
- Looking at the properties of the SP3 install package the version is 15.0.0.498.

It seems they've left the build administration to the french programmers that "accomplished" FLIP... ([Inspector Closeau voice]Right, Cato! As we are dône with makking FLIP crashe wethoutt côntrôl, lett us dô the saaame wiz Á-Ve-Örr Studdiô. Butte this taame wiz a tuistè![/Inspector Closeau voice]) :wink:

No repair runs of SP3 seems to cut it. I'll have to go for another uninstall/reinstall of the whole shebang.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Perhaps it's Vista. 4.18 Build 700 (SP2) works OK for me with Win7 x64. I can't find a later version, or I'd try it.

Leon Heller G1HSM

Quote:

I can't find a later version, or I'd try it.

http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/

Using beta software might be the problem. :)

I'll try it, anyway.

Leon Heller G1HSM

Right. After an uninstall of
- Atmel Tools
- AVR Studio
- Jungo driver
and a restart (asked for) I have now lost MSVCRTDnn (uncertain of version numbers here). The net effect, apart of being warned about this three times at logon and shut-down, is that I no longer can logon with the fingerprint sensor.

After a second restart the system was just halted with a black screen.

After a wait for about three minutes, I forced a power-down, and upon start Windows will not boot. So now I'm on my way to a system restore. $(DEITY) have mercy!

I am not a happy camper right now. :evil:

I just downloaded that beta version and installed it. I checked Simulator 2 on an application of mine for the Tiny2313 and it worked OK.

It seems to be 4.18 Version 715, according to About AVR Studio.

Perhaps it's nice to me because I also use PICs. :)

Leon Heller G1HSM

Seems I am getting away w/o rolling in my latest good Windoze (from 3 full DVDs!). It managed to repair itself, whatever that means.

After a reinstall of Studio, SP1, SP2 and SP3 I am still experiencing the same crash when stopping a simulation session.

Properties of AVRStudio.exe still report 4.18.0.685
In Studio, About reports 4.18 Build 715

I sure could use some good advice now...

Last Edited: Sat. Aug 21, 2010 - 06:37 PM

I've got a feeling that it's Vista. I avoided it like the plague. At a university where a friend of mine works they are only allowed to use XP on the university PCs and laptops given to staff, because of all the problems it had.

Leon Heller G1HSM

I've had earlier versions of Studio running flawlessly on this machine with the same OS. Might even have had 4.18 running OK, but cant recall. I've rolled in backup DVDs of Vista a few times (easiest way to clean up a Windoze system).

Quote:

I've got a feeling that it's Vista.

It isn't. I've had SP3 running on Vista almost since it appeared and have never had an issue stopping either Sim1 or Sim2 (obviously I use the latter when I can). I realise this doesn't help much but it hopefully confirms that the combination can run on Vista (x32). I'd look at the usual suspects such as anti-virus software.

Five hours, several updates, repairs, un/re-installs of Studio and re-boots later it went away. Yes. Poff! - and gone it was. I really hate it when a problem goes away without me understanding what it was, and why it isn't any more.

Could have been Studio installs. Could have been Windows. Which that broke the other is unclear - possibly both messing it up for the other (it seems clear that un-installing Studio removed MSVCRTxx.dll when it should not have -was the "reference count" or whatever broken so that it acted in good faith? Dunno?).

So with not even proper circumstantial evidence, AVR Studio installers must be deemed not guilty and go free. There should be no shadow cast on Studio.

Just going through the usual precautions when something looking like magic has been going on. Eg a complete virus scan - so the machine will be occupied with that while I sleep.

Thanks you for your input, and for being patient with the grumpier me. :D

Yesterday I downloaded AVRStudio4.18SP3.exe from www.Atmel.no and properties of AVRStudio.exe reports 15.0.0.498.
In Studio, About reports 4.18 Build 716.
I installed and I am using it w/o issues.

Thank you, alioscia!

My setup is also working now, as I stated above. And the problem that started this thing was probably not Atmel problem. The work to fix it revealed a set of Atmel weirdnesses though, version numbering being one of'em..

Did you install also avr-toolchain-installer-3.0.0.207-win32.win32.x86.exe?

Well, here I go again. AVR Studio crashes on me once again. I really do not want to go through those six hours of random reinstalls again.

Since it it claimed (I doubt it though...) the this forum is monitored by the AVR Studio folks I'll leave as much info as I can:

Windows Vista Pro with SP2
System runs Microsoft Security Essentials (tried to turn it of to no avail)
AVR Studio 4.18 SP3
I also have MS Visual C++ Express Edition installed (might mean something since the crash might have something to do with MFC).

Windows report these details:

Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: AVRStudio.exe
Application Version: 4.18.0.685
Application Timestamp: 4c358cc9
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Fault Module Timestamp: 49e03821
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00039858
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1053
Additional Information 1: c453
Additional Information 2: abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9
Additional Information 3: c453
Additional Information 4: abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9

While I have not spent all of the time since the previous post on this (salvaged/caught the neighbors two-weeks-gone cat and had supper also), I've now uninstalled and reinstalled AVR Studio. And suffered the login problems after uninstalling, once again. The uninstall of AVR Studio definitively uninstalls the MSVCRTxx.dll, causing the login (which also seems to use this ubiquitous run time DLL) to have severe problems. Whether this is the fault of the AVR Studio install or not is not clear. If someone actually reads this there is one more fact to reveal: I have a fingerprint reader on this HP8710p laptop. After login runs with faults (or crashes) the first thing that starts working again is login with a typed password. After installing AVR Studio fingerprint login starts working again. (Sounds ridicolous, maybe, but fingerprint login is a very convenient function. Yeah, I know it's not very safe - but neither are my passwords...:roll:)

Quote:

cat and had supper also

You ATE the cat? :-O

While we have someone here urging us to share our recipes involving cats, no I didn't. Cat had a wee bit of tuna and dry fodder. Dog got rice and half a can of cod baby food since his stomach bailed out the other day. I had traditional Swedish pea soup with pork, mustard and cheese on dark rye with Danish beer and Swedish Punsch. Cat kept me awake most of the night, but was delivered to his masters today. There was a lot of rejoicing, and already on the phone yesterday we afreed to not tell the children in that family until the cat was positively identified. They had already given up and thought he was lost for good, so the kids will probably hit the ceiling.

Hoping for a similar experience wth Studio, but I am skeptical.. :wink: