[solved] AVR Studio 4.13 Service Packs

Go To Last Post
15 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I´m a little bit stumped. I got my new (refurbished) IBM Thinkpad this week and had to download the installer for AVR Studio. It seems like I missed the release of Service Pack 2 for AVR Studio 4.13.

This might be an easy one (which would explain why the search function didn´t bring up a relevant topic):

Should I install SP 1 and then SP 2 or just SP 2 right away? Logic would dictate that SP 2 includes all fixes from SP 1, too. Are there release notes for the service pack? They aren´t linked from the atmel.com/avr download page.

Thanks,

Ingo

Last Edited: Tue. Dec 18, 2007 - 07:07 PM

Straight to the latest SP at www.atmel.no/beta_ware/
(link to release notes also there)

I think it would be nice for Atmel to provide a link to the release notes of packages on their release (non-beta_ware) site as well: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/product... . The link could be another column in their table

I know this is a bit "chicken and egg" but the release notes are also to be found in the helpfile - but I guess that requires you to install it, to read it, to know whether it's worth installing it :lol:

Thanks for the answers. I´ve been to the 'official' download site at atmel.com and did not think about the beta_ware at atmel.no, hope I´ll remember this the next time ...
It does not seem logical that they have the release notes for the original Studio installer online but not the release notes for the service packs (even more so since these notes have been written and published at the beta_ware site).
Maybe someone of the development team will read this and update the site (I guess opening a support ticket for that is a bit overkill).

Thanks for your responses,

Ingo

Cliff, good point about the release notes being in Atmel's well-done help file. Nonetheless, when I consider installing newer versions of software, I typically like to review to the release notes prior to the installation of the newer version.

clawson wrote:
Straight to the latest SP at www.atmel.no/beta_ware/
(link to release notes also there)

Note that AVR Studio 4.13 SP2 has been officially released and is available on the main Atmel web site here:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/product...

Quote:
Note that AVR Studio 4.13 SP2 has been officially released
That was sneaky, I must have been asleep when all the excitement about the new release was happening, in fact I don't remember hearing nufffin at all...

Of course now I fear that it may break something, shall I wait a few days or is it all sorted out? And I guess one would need the new winAvr to run with it...if one was so inclined? :?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

js wrote:
Of course now I fear that it may break something, shall I wait a few days or is it all sorted out? And I guess one would need the new winAvr to run with it...if one was so inclined? :?
The Waiter wrote:
Yes, sir, that's right. On our menu today we have the legacy version, with bugs known and described, and our bleeding edge version, not yet widely tested with potentialy new and interesting bugs. Unfortunately, Sir, our tested and bugless version is only rarely on the menu.
SP2 has already been tested by a few. Personally, I've not seen any issues and the beta is over. As for the new WinAVR, Eric stated it was a short release-candidate cycle so if you wait a week or two the final release will ideally be available. But, I'm sure Eric would appreciate a few more brave testers.

Quote:
the release notes are also to be found in the helpfile
Of course this would take a HUGE ammount of times to post on the website along the previous release note...:evil:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

kmr wrote:
SP2 has already been tested by a few. Personally, I've not seen any issues and the beta is over. As for the new WinAVR, Eric stated it was a short release-candidate cycle so if you wait a week or two the final release will ideally be available. But, I'm sure Eric would appreciate a few more brave testers.

That cycle will be a day or two. ;) And yes, it would help if there were more testers.

EW wrote:
That cycle will be a day or two. ;) And yes, it would help if there were more testers.
Wow, that's quick. I've spent a fair bit of time trying to recall my Savannah password and their forgotten-password email system isn't getting a message through to me. I'd like to post a patch (an enhancement, not bug fix) on Savannah, but perhaps I'll just post it on the avr-libc mail list

kmr wrote:
I think it would be nice for Atmel to provide a link to the release notes of packages on their release (non-beta_ware) site as well: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/product... . The link could be another column in their table

I can agree with this, but if you want to see this improved, I suggest you contact webmaster@atmel.com.

For now, if you want to preview the SP2 release notes before installing, you need to do so on the beta site,

http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/as...

SP2 is now official and the versions on the beta site and the official site are the same.

- roland

kmr wrote:
Wow, that's quick.

Well, it's been overdue. And what with the impending holidays and all...

kmr wrote:

I've spent a fair bit of time trying to recall my Savannah password and their forgotten-password email system isn't getting a message through to me. I'd like to post a patch (an enhancement, not bug fix) on Savannah, but perhaps I'll just post it on the avr-libc mail list

Ok, be sure to mention your Savannah troubles when you post to the list. Not that Joerg and I can do anything about it, but we can at least put it in the tracker for you.

And thanks in advance for the patch! :)

EW wrote:
Well, it's been overdue.
The new release will certainly be welcomed. Overdue is a relative point. Heck, in Debian we think a 2-year release cycle is rather quick :oops:
Quote:
Ok, be sure to mention your Savannah troubles when you post to the list. Not that Joerg and I can do anything about it, but we can at least put it in the tracker for you.
Thanks. It might be just my email system not working well with theirs. I don't see the email that I sent to avr-libc-dev@nongnu.org about 12 hours ago, so I'll just email directly to you.
Quote:
And thanks in advance for the patch!
And to you for reviewing the modest suggestion.